iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Groundie

Started by DHansen, October 04, 2022, 11:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Found a book today and started reading.  Started learning new terms and enjoying the read.  Author Jeff Jepson. Book titled "Groundie". Being the rookie I am, I find it interesting to read and a cool book.  Then I come to find out the author started a tree service here in Minnesota back in 1989.  So a connection to my home state.  Finding it hard to set it down.

lxskllr

I have the Tree Climbers Companion from Jepson. Good book, with clear artwork. I prefer handdrawn pictures when the artist is good. It adds clarity by removing superfluous elements that hide what's really being shown. How To Keep Your Volkswagon Alive For The Complete Idiot is another good example. If Groundie is as good as Companion, it should be a great book.

DHansen

Lxskillr, I will have to look for the book you mentioned.  And yes this book also has hand drawn images.  Always open to learning more.

lxskllr

It gives the basics of getting yourself into a tree, and moving around. You can do it with the book, but I'd consider it an introduction more than a comprehensive guide. If it were something you were interested in pursuing, you'd want to find additional sources, and preferably someone who can teach in person. Some of the methods are a little dated at this point. Still absolutely valid, but climbing tech has exploded in the last 10 years or so.

Even if you only have a passing interest, it's a good book to read. It's very readable, and not overly technical. It's probably the best primer I've come across.

DHansen

I am too old to be climbing into a tree and roped off.  My archery stand for hunting is enough of a challenge.  But I still like to learn and understand.  I'll be 60 next month.  So still plugging away, just being smart about my projects.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: DHansen on October 05, 2022, 11:08:22 PM
I am too old to be climbing into a tree and roped off.  My archery stand for hunting is enough of a challenge.  But I still like to learn and understand.  I'll be 60 next month.  So still plugging away, just being smart about my projects.
I wished I could turn 60 again.:D
Kevin

DHansen

I hear that running .404 will keep you younger and stronger!  

beenthere

I hear ya Real1shepherd. I quit climbing bow stands in trees 3 years ago when I switched to a crossbow.  Being 60 again would be just great, but that happened 23 years ago. So don't give up at 60.  :snowball:

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigblockyeti

Quote from: DHansen on October 05, 2022, 05:36:49 PM
Lxskillr, I will have to look for the book you mentioned.  And yes this book also has hand drawn images.  Always open to learning more.
$16.95 on Amazon for paperback and I found it instantly so you don't have to dig through misc to locate it.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: DHansen on October 06, 2022, 12:34:20 PM
I hear that running .404 will keep you younger and stronger!  
Well, that's my ticket then, because I have no intention of switching to 3/8"....except for the Jonsereds 621 when I get 'er up & running.

I had to press a good friend into service....my garage has been a source of anxiety and remorse for the last six yrs. Filled with big totes and storage for all my junk/tools. My friend was willing to give it a go and had great ideas. We got all the totes out and stored under a lean-to attached to the garage...marked and stacked as to possible usage frequency. We put up metal shelving(some with doors/locks as I needed them) on the walls.We're still working on it....just got a motor moved out today and more shelving installed.  

What all this means is that after I build another bench on the other side of the garage, I'll FINALLY have room to work on chainsaws again. This was a looooooong time coming. The garage was trashed by previous renters before I bought the place. I didn't have the time back then to move in proper....hence the storage mess.

But, turns out the old garage was stronger than any of us and just needed a rehab. I'm stoked.....that doesn't happen often these days.;D

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

You are going to love that! Just walking past it will make you feel great every time, I bet! Just add a fridge, coffee pot, and small woodstove and you have a 'happy place'. 6 or 7 years ago I began thinning my shop and setting it up the way I had always wanted. In the prior 30 years I never had time, too busy working and raising kids, paying bills. Now it's MY turn and sometimes I just go out there and sit. ;D
 It's not done yet but it sure is a lot more workable than it ever was and the pleasure I get from that is not measurable. It's neat to hear the little ones say "C'mon Grandpa, let's go out in the shop and make something!'.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

DHansen

Kevin, Excellent to hear your getting some elbow room and work space.  And that .404 comment was directed towards you.  I have been in a storage dilemma since a Memorial Day F1 tornado took out my shed/garage.  Still dealing with insurance and contractor to try and have a new pole building before snow starts falling.   It's relaxing to have a nice work bench.

ladylake

And a hot wood stove and beer.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Real1shepherd

Quote from: DHansen on October 07, 2022, 11:23:25 AM
Kevin, Excellent to hear your getting some elbow room and work space.  And that .404 comment was directed towards you.  I have been in a storage dilemma since a Memorial Day F1 tornado took out my shed/garage.  Still dealing with insurance and contractor to try and have a new pole building before snow starts falling.   It's relaxing to have a nice work bench.
Yes, I know it was and I resemble that remark.:D

Hoping your insurance and contractor issues work out before the snow flies!

I can't give up the space, unfortunately, for a freestanding wood stove and all corners are spoken for. I'll probably trench in natural gas from the house meter and put in an overhead infrared ventless heater.

Kevin

taylorsmissbeehaven

Jeff Jepson has several small paperback books loaded with info. I started climbing with the Climbers Companion before I got more serious and sought out professional instruction. (my wife thought I needed a different kind of professional help :D) Enjoy them all, they are great reads weather you plan to climb or just find it interesting!!
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

mooleycow

Please read The Fundamentals Of Tree Work by G F Beranek and Red River by Robert M Hanft.  Stay safe.

livemusic

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 07, 2022, 06:48:04 AM
You are going to love that! Just walking past it will make you feel great every time, I bet! Just add a fridge, coffee pot, and small woodstove and you have a 'happy place'. 6 or 7 years ago I began thinning my shop and setting it up the way I had always wanted. In the prior 30 years I never had time, too busy working and raising kids, paying bills. Now it's MY turn and sometimes I just go out there and sit. ;D
It's not done yet but it sure is a lot more workable than it ever was and the pleasure I get from that is not measurable. It's neat to hear the little ones say "C'mon Grandpa, let's go out in the shop and make something!'.
The underlined above might be the most awesome quote I've ever read. I don't have kids, bummer. You da man!
~~~
Bill

livemusic

Quote from: lxskllr on October 05, 2022, 07:21:58 AM
I have the Tree Climbers Companion from Jepson. Good book, with clear artwork. I prefer handdrawn pictures when the artist is good. It adds clarity by removing superfluous elements that hide what's really being shown. How To Keep Your Volkswagon Alive For The Complete Idiot is another good example. If Groundie is as good as Companion, it should be a great book.
I think he also wrote "To Fell A Tree" and it is a highly regarded book. I have a copy. It helped me to not get killed in my firewood hobby. So far. Hope it continues.
~~~
Bill

Spike60

Shop heat is it's own topic, and I ought to start another thread, in fact........:)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

jb616

Quote from: DHansen on October 05, 2022, 11:08:22 PM
I am too old to be climbing into a tree and roped off.  My archery stand for hunting is enough of a challenge.  But I still like to learn and understand.  I'll be 60 next month.  So still plugging away, just being smart about my projects.
I am 60 this year and know that my treestand days are numbered. Two years ago I bought Life line ropes for all the trees and my son has taken over setting up all the stands. On a side note, I just lost a childhood friend that was 59 and fell off a roof of one of his kid's houses while helping with a roofing job. 

DHansen

Sad news and sorry to hear about your friend.  Thoughts and prayers for his family.  Be thankful for every healthy day God blesses us with.  Trees, ladders and roofs can be a challenge.

Thank You Sponsors!