iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on Tuning

Started by NY Woodsman, November 12, 2022, 07:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Woodsman

What is the relationship between the idle adjust and low speed adjustment. Where should the idle adjustment be? Two turns in to open the throttle butterfly, or just one turn? It seems manufactures never give you a starting point? Being that the idle adjust and low jet both effect idle speed how do you know your chasing the right adjustment to raise and lower idle if you don't know where to set the idle screw from the get go. Any clarification will be appreciated. And I'm talking about saws that have had limiters on adjustment screws removed

Breezybrzez

Welcome, I'm no expert but I was always taught to start by turning low all the way in, and back out 1 1/2 turns for preliminary. Then start and warm saw up and use low screw to adjust your acceleration to high idle. Get the engine singing good and not four stroking on acceleration. Then use idle screw to adjust low idle only. Has seemed to work good for me.

Basically always set low screw first (for acceleration) then use idle screw for actually setting idle speed, if I understand your question correctly.

NY Woodsman

Hi Breezy. Thanks for the welcome. I was here in the past but haven't logged in for a year or so and of course forgot my password. But I'm back,lol 
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated 

Spike60

Both screws affect the idle, but they are doing 2 very different things. The idle screw adjusts the throttle position. The Lo adjustment changes the fuel mixture for the lo speed circuit in the carb. The sweet spot is like Breezy says is when you get nice crisp acceleration. Poor acceleration can result from the Lo being too rich, OR too lean. You can demonstrate this by turning it in either direction and observing what happens. Too lean and the idle will rise and the saw will starve for fuel and then stall, and too rich and it will load up and flood out. In either case, whatever idle you have will not be steady. So again, looking for that sweet spot in between those 2 extremes will give you both a stable idle and that good acceleration. Once you got the mix right, then use the idle screw to set the idle RPM's where they should be. Usually in the 2700-3000 range, to be properly below clutch engagement which is typically around 3500 RPM.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!