iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saws

Started by Peter Drouin, November 27, 2022, 10:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have new ones too, But, when I clean and oil them up. I can't see how one could use one all day. Some are down right hard to hold. And heavy. They all turn over. 
Anyone have old saws out there to see?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

newoodguy78

I don't have pictures to share but that 5th picture looks like that ones sitting on the shelf smoking away  :D
I can't even imagine running some those. I've held a few that were so ergonomically incorrect it was incredible. Nice collection 👍, hopefully others have some to share as well. 

DHansen

Wow!  Very cool and great display set up.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

barbender

Yeah, back from the days when getting an internal combustion engine attached to a cutting chain was an engineering marvel. Putting a handle on it and handing it to some poor sap to run all day was an afterthought🤦‍♂️😂

I remember running my Grandpa's old International TD9 that is from the same era. The controls on that are a good match for those chainsaws😊
Too many irons in the fire

DHansen

Just reading Barbender's post makes my arms numb.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: DHansen on November 27, 2022, 12:00:58 PM
Wow!  Very cool and great display set up.  Thanks for sharing the photos.
Absolutely! Nice collection! The old timers did stuff that would have the candy generation shaking in their boots to do 😂

sawguy21

Some interesting saws but none I would want to run all day. ;D I have a small collection in storage as I have no place to display them at the moment, my passion for saws and logging brought me to the FF.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

olcowhand

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 27, 2022, 01:40:53 PMmy passion for saws and logging brought me to the FF.

......and we're glad it did......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

bigblockyeti

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 27, 2022, 01:40:53 PM
Some interesting saws but none I would want to run all day. ;D I have a small collection in storage as I have no place to display them at the moment, my passion for saws and logging brought me to the FF.
You could always throw together a tower, in theory taking up only slightly more floor space than a single chainsaw.

SwingOak

My dad has a Homelite C5 with a 22" bar he bought new in the early 60's, and it still runs. I remember as a kid how loud it was and the sparks that would shoot out of the exhaust (can't really call it a muffler LOL). Dad said it was the lightest weight saw he could buy at the time, maybe 20 lbs(?) and it's all aluminum.

A lot of trees have been felled and bucked with this saw over the years. 

Patrick NC

When I was a kid my father had an old homelite zip that sat in the corner of the shed. I asked him once why he never used it. He just shook his head and said it was better than an axe,  but not much. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

upnut

One of my son's first classroom projects in college was to measure the kickback time on running chainsaws in order to improve safety systems. When I showed him the last batch of old chainsaw pictures his jaw dropped in disbelief. 

This was one of his latest projects at JR Automation, my how the world has changed... Improving Process with Advanced Drainage Systems | JR Automation, A Hitachi Group Company - YouTube

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

barbender

That is amazing equipment.

I geek out on some of the newer forestry and sawmill equipment, but compared to factory and food plant machinery it's pretty primitive!
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

Except on steep slopes where they still use rigging and inaccessible places that do heli-logging, the harvesters have all but replaced fallers. I had good vision that I got out when I did. The scale was getting smaller, I was making less money....why risk my life every day if the pay wasn't good etc.....

Kevin

thecfarm

I used to work on those robots many years ago.
The hardware store I used to work at bought pipe from ADS.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

I wish I had my dad's old Skil chainsaw that he had when I was a kid.  It was the first saw I ever used.  I think my hands are still vibrating from using that to cut down a honey locust tree in the back yard.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bigblockyeti

Kinda like this one?

firefighter ontheside

No it was bigger and red.  Kinda like this one I found on the net.  May have been this same saw.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

That was the PM Canadian built in Vancouver B.C. before Skil took them over. It was the first clamshell crankcase I had seen. Yeah, they were heavy and vibration took its toll but very popular with farmers, ranchers and weekend warriors. The little one is still one of my favorites, light, reliable and so easy to service. It too was built in Vancouver until absorbed by EMAB (Husqvarna parent company).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Since it's been mentioned I too have a couple of small Skil chainsaws .Where they came from I have no idea .They are like stray cats that just show up .I have no idea if it will run or not  but I'm sure it did at one time or another .

Al_Smith

Now then as far as those afore mentioned robots I spent the last 10-12 years of my working life working on those things and CNC high speed machinery .

thecfarm

Hey Al, I really could not see any marking on those yellow robots. The ones I worked on were Fanuc. They were the same color as the link.
Then we had 2 motor man. Those were white.
The first 2 we had was ABB or ABS. I forgot.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I've only dealt with a couple of Fanuc's .It was mainly ABB .That said however it became complicated as some of the "brains" were in the controller and some might be  from a remote source .Add to that depending on who designed the system it could be from one or more of at least 26 operating systems ,at that time .I might also  add the Swedes did it one way and the Germans used another way .I'll just say I got paid very well to be confused .It was changing so rapidly even the engineers had a hard time keeping up .
One Rene Descartes discovered the Cartesian plane theory in the 1600's but I 'd wager he never thought it would evolve into this . :)

Thank You Sponsors!