Forum > Forestry and Logging

Cedar Log prices vs selling 1x痴.

(1/2) > >>

Mark hershey:
Got this price sheet from a local cedar place that buys cedar logs. I知 getting a sawmill but wondering if anyone has insight into selling cedar boards? Like run an ad on Craigslist. I知 going to open some land up and of coarse creating logs. These cedar prices seem not so great but cant waste the logs. Would you mill the cedar or just let them go for these prices. When i was young we would work all day to fill a flatbed Chevy up just to split $75. Lol.

Wlmedley:
How long are the posts.?

Cedarman:
Most cedar scales are for 8' logs, so I would assume 8' plus a few inches. Measured outside bark to inside bark is most common way they are measured.  The scale works out to $.60 or $.696 per board foot. That is about right for our area.  Lumber is around $2.00 per board foot for good boards with very little wane or ingrown bark and sound knots.  Prices can vary all over the place though.
Mark, where you located?  That can make a big difference.

Mark hershey:

--- Quote from: Wlmedley on November 30, 2022, 05:05:42 PM ---How long are the posts.?

--- End quote ---
They buy 84.

Mark hershey:

--- Quote from: Cedarman on November 30, 2022, 06:18:14 PM ---Most cedar scales are for 8' logs, so I would assume 8' plus a few inches. Measured outside bark to inside bark is most common way they are measured.  The scale works out to $.60 or $.696 per board foot. That is about right for our area.  Lumber is around $2.00 per board foot for good boards with very little wane or ingrown bark and sound knots.  Prices can vary all over the place though.
Mark, where you located?  That can make a big difference.

--- End quote ---
I am in Lewis co ky, north east kentucky. Cedar is like a weed here Eastern red cedar, and i have a lot of shag hick, white oak, popular, walnut, maple, cherry, etc, but for some reason my cedar is what i am most attracted to. Love my cedar. I think if i start sawing it i will want to keep a lot. Lots of 10-14 at 4 from ground trees and straight,

easy 2 logs per tree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap