iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last Day

Started by Jeff, December 01, 2022, 08:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I wanted to fly my drone one more time before closing the cabin up for the winter. I don't/won't fly during deer season, so December 1 was my window. It was kinda cool after getting the card off the drone, to see some deer moving. Never had that happen before! This is only showing about the front quarter of the property.  I only fly line of site of the drone, because my controller is almost impossible for me to see so I stay close. Dontcha just love da U.P.?  Here is a 2 minute flyover. :) Not many folks to da Nort eh?

The Front Side of Heaven. A Flyover, Eastern U.P. Dec 1 - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Myself, I like my UP winters. But I gotta admit, they can get rather drawn out. Now ya gotta catch up on da honey do's, and git ready ta fly North come spring. ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Southside

Very good perspective, I was a bit surprised the deer took off so quickly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

This is the land of the predators. 

Resonator

Almost couldn't see Jeff at the end, he blended into the trees wearing that camouflage. smiley_army_helmet 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Well Jeffo, you had a heck of a season and got a heck of a lot of work done that will yield huge benefits for years to come. I know going home will be 'a change', but you know have time to prep and get ready for when the snow drops to human levels.
 Good on ya mate!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

SwampDonkey

Nice view! I see that big snow storm dump got cleaned up by some mild weather. Nice to see the deer trotting out the trail. :) Adios UP for a few months at home base.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

You've got a beautiful place there Jeff.

Thanks for all the videos you've posted.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Congratulations on spending 6 months in your special piece of Heaven and accomplishing so many of your goals.  Also thank you for sharing so many of your adventures, successes, and sometime second thoughts. 

I know that there are thoughts of stuff "undone" so now you can spend the Winter planning and yes, dreaming about further projects.  PatD and I are proud of you and proud for you, Tammy, and this new chapter in your journey together.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JD Guy

I have enjoyed your posts and videos watching you improve your property and the wildlife habitat. Thanks for sharing with us 😁. Hopefully your winter will be reasonably short and that will allow you to head back North earlier rather than later!

Nebraska

Thanks Jeff, I enjoyed the tour.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Thanks Guys. 
So I thought I saw a jake turkey track on my place yesterday Lynda's blind. I thought good. Then later while tying my quad down to come south, I see it. A big beautiful Rooster pheasant go into the Red Osier Dogwood by the outhouse. I tried to get a pic, but that thing ran like a road runner across the front field when I went to try.  I've got a good idea where it came from. My neighbor Mark raised pheasants for meat this year, with a few extras. You are only allowed to keep ring neck pheasants for a limited time, then you either have to butcher them, or set them free. He set some free. He buchered 3 weeks ago.
Pretty cool, of all that country up there, and I'm a mile away, that this one was hanging at my place.

I wished Tammy was of the same mind set as me.

Ron Scott

You have greatly improved the wildlife habitat on your property.
~Ron

upnut

Packing up at the end of a week long deer camp can be bittersweet, I imagine a six month stay is even more so. It has to be very gratifying to see all your hard work on habitat come to fruition, congrats! Take a deep breath of that pure U.P. air, you've earned it....Hopefully another year I can take you up on that "nickle tour" of Tamarack Ridge.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Jeff

Im looking forward to it.  :)  

I really did accomplish most everything on the list I made last winter and more. Except one notable thing.  No deer hanging from the rafter of the new shed I intended to build, but that is okay. :)  Next year. 

This winter I hope to get the mustang going so I can peddle it, and yes even Mr. Truck may need to be part of my plan. Those are the only two things of enough value that I might be able to turn into something that can escavate and move soil. 

Bruno of NH

You have done alot of work Jeff.
You have a beautiful place there.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I work my land as you do. Winter time I have to pack it in as you do.  ;D
It's fun working the land!!!!
I just might have to get a drone too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

What drone do you have in mind?
Thinking might do that too. There are a gazillion choices.
Jeff might have some good suggestions with his drone experience in hand. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Me too, as to shutting down. Late fall everything turns wet with all the rains, then snow. Can't take a machine back in that wet. Yesterday I saw a moose though walking on my trails.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Tammy boight me a mavic air last year before she retired. It has a lot of functionsI have no idea about, but it has some safegaurds that so far has kept me from destroying it, which I certainly would have by now.

trimguy

That would be really cool if he let out out enough pheasants to survive the winter and be able to breed. When I lived at home my stepdad and I always went hunting on opening day.

Jeff

I heard from Mark today, he released 6 birds. 3 males, 3 females. 

SwampDonkey

We have always had them strut around here for a number of years now, but they are few and far between. Never saw any last summer, but year before had a family of them. Saw the rooster alone one day strut past the porch and the hen and chicks were in the garden a lot dusting.

Thank You Sponsors!