iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good Oil Pump Dry Drivers

Started by Barny’s Saw, December 19, 2023, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barny’s Saw

Hey all.

I got a new 390. It's not liking the bar well at all. I have tried 3 bars. Including a new Husky Lightwieght (Sugi) with a generous oil hole.

Powerhead is pumping oil just fine. Adjustment screw is set to max. It's not cold at all and the oil is flowing well.

Bar is clean

I have tried different alignments on the bar, like picking up on the tip while tightening down the bar nuts.

I really like this saws power and weight and feel.

Thanks!

Barny’s Saw

Clutch cover is on tight and clean.

More oil coming out the tensioner than getting on the bar. Bottom bar oiler hole getting plugged quickly, but isn't the top hole the mail path of least resistance?

Barny’s Saw

Typical for me, ask for help and then it starts working. I guess that's ok though.

So I mounted the bar with more slight upward pressure and I think I got it aligned.

It's oiling. I still think it should be slinging more though.

donbj

Are all the mating surfaces flat and true so there is a good seal when the bar is clamped down? Any gouges or such thing in the case surface in that area to allow oil to track elsewhere?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

could try the lower viscosity winter bar oil.  blue jug at Stihl.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

Did you check the oil passage between the oil hole and the bar rail? My firewood processor always plugs that, so I have to push a piece of wire or a really small screwdriver through it to open it up.
Too many irons in the fire

dnash

I had trouble getting the Sugihara to oil on my 592, went through lots of different oils and bar tips. For me, the oil hole was getting clogged with sawdust then the rails would get jammed etc. In the end, I went back to Stihl reduced weight bars and problem solved.

Not saying the same fix applies to you though...
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Barny’s Saw

No cold temp oil to be had around my area.  It was 58 degrees today. If I find some though I will give it a go.

Oiler holes in the bar are clean.

All mating surfaces are clean.

Today, we had some big knotty rounds so I cut them rather than split, I could see some oil flinging, just not as much as my 395 would have or as much as I like.

Something is off with the mount and mating with the oiler slot. I am going to check the chain guide to make sure it isn't bent.

DHansen

You mentioned that more bar oil was coming off the tensioner adjuster compared to the chain bar groove.  If that is still the case, I'd be looking for a leak behind the clutch.

I have a 385 that was not oiling the bar well, but oiled the clutch and tensioner area a lot.  Found a small nick in the brass colored metal tube that ran from the oil pump to the discharge channel.  It look like damage caused by a chain coming off track or chain not installed correctly.  The nick allowed the bar oil to leak out prior to the discharge port.

DHansen

You can see the bar oil tube and the nick in the tube.   

Barny’s Saw

Stopped in at the shop. Mike, a good fellow, hooked me up with a new chain plate. The one from the factory must have been bent because it wasn't making good contact with the rubber piece on the end of the oiler port that both hold the brass tube and seals up to the bar.

Put the bar on with no chain and it was oiling good. Cut a tank and still oiling good.

If in the mid Willamette Valley, Willamette Saw Shop in Philomouth, is a great.

Thanks for your help all.

joe_indi

I read this thread only now. What I am going to narrate is something that happened in 1996 or 97
Someone had brought in a 029 with a similar problem. This must have been the third chainsaw (Stihl ) that I had seen. I was not even a Stihl retailer, just sort of starting in the business.
Well, I had seen that the mounting surfaces both on the bar and the housing was a bit worn out and it was quite evident that they did not seat well, leading to a leak.
I instructed my shop manager ( 60 year old) to go to the nearest shop that had condoms, preferably large ones and buy a few.
When he returned with the condoms he was very agitated. I asked the reason. Well, in the shop he visited there were some teenagers hanging around when he asked for extra large condoms. And there were whispers of 'Wow!' and ' even at this age!'
He turned to them and tried to explain that they were not for the intended purpose but to use on a chainsaw! Which broke them up and had them weeping
He told me that if I ever asked him to get condoms ever again that he would quit.
I used a condom on the rear end of the bar (pun definitely not intended) to give it a kind of sealing effect. And it worked  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!