iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SOLVED: Pinus pinea Linnaeus (Umbrella pine)

Started by CHARLIE, July 30, 2002, 02:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

What kind of pine tree is this (Scientific name only)?
Tom is disqualified 'cause I done tolt'em whut it wuz....

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

I don't think it's a pine at all-----I don't see any pineapples!

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Ain't no gator and it ain't no pineapple plant.  Now this is serious business here so git outcher books. Ya might just learn something. See Jeff.....I toltcha you'd be scratchin' yore watch and winding yore butt on thisun. :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

I dunno what it is, but it looks like a sugar pine, havin' a bad hair day. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

Is that tree in Italy too?

Looks a little like a Pinus sylvestris L.

I don't know if they grow in Italy or not.  They aren't native in the US of A but there's a bunch of them been planted.

That's too easy isn't it?

Noble

CHARLIE

You're sorta on the right track Noble!  It's not Pinus sylvestris L.  though.  You got part of it....It is Pinus....... ::)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If ya wanna know about Pinus Sylvestris though, here's a link.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/pinus/sylvestris.htm

Pinus sylvestris L.

Scotch Pine

Pinaceae -- Pine family

Darroll D. Skilling

Scotch pine (Pinus sylvestris), also called Scots pine, is an introduced species in North America, brought here from Europe probably in colonial days. Although it is used for both pulpwood and sawlogs, its principal value in the United States appears to be as a Christmas tree, as an ornamental, and for erosion control.

Habitat
Native Range
Scotch pine has been widely planted in the United States, especially in the Northeast, Lake States, Central States, and Pacific Northwest. It is now considered naturalized in parts of New England and the Lake States (29). The species has also been planted across southern Canada.

Scotch pine is the most widely distributed pine in the world. It grows naturally from Scotland almost to the Pacific Ocean and from above the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia to the Mediterranean. Its altitudinal range is from sea level to about 2440 m (8,000 ft).

Charlie

Jeff

I know all about you Charlie. I bet you don't know and your just trying to find out what this is yourself. Well it aint working I aint helpin. Humph!

CHARLIE

Jeff, you ain't helpin'  'cause you is stumped...hee heee. And you can't give me a hat to get the answer 'cause I already got a hat. And......I do know the answer. ;D  
Charlie

Jeff

CHARLIE

Ain't gotta prove it...he heeee. Got you stumped don't I? ;D  I know that I know and Tom knows that I know and Tom already has a hat too and he's my big brother so I know he'll keep a secret. ;)  He ain't gonna tell ya.  You is gonna have to figure this one out for yourself......unless someone beats ya to it. :D :D :D  
Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

that's probably not a Pinus succinifera

Just in case it is, please let me know right away because there are some fellows that would probably like to know where you took that kodac.

Noble

Tom

It's probably not a Pinus longaeva either  :D

Jeff

Tom may be your brother but yer just a virtual brother on here. Tom is a forum administator and he tells me everything. Thanks Tom.

It's a Pinus shortaeva

Tom

I can't tell you, Jeff.  Charlie will tell Momma and I don't won't another whuppin'  :-/

Jeff

Ya know this aint fair. When we put on a tree or plant we usually include the needles and a close up. all you gave us was somebodys Bonzai pruned in a broken clay dish that looks like some old ruins.

Its a Pinus Bonzainess

CHARLIE

Noble, it's not Pinus Succinefera. From what I can find, that is an ancient tree from which Amber comes. I'm not sure it still exists.
The amber-yielding pine Pinus succinifera (Conw.) Schubert was described as early as the 19th century as the mother-tree of Baltic amber or succinite, the earliest known among fossil resins. The name, common for four species of conifers, today does not satisfy researchers. The search for amber's mother-tree, best known on the southern beaches of the Baltic and Sambia, continues.

It's not Pinus longaeva, It ain't Pinus Shortaeva, it ain't even Pinus Bonzainess and Jeff quit your whining about not seeing the needles......

HINTS
1. This tree is living in Italy in the ruins of ancient Ostia not far from Rome. It is common in the Mediterranian area.
2. For the common name, look at a Morton Salt Box.

DanG it! Now I've pretty much given it away.  
Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

That Pinus succinefra's been extinct for centuries.

I knew what it was all along,  I was just fooling with you.

Its a Pinus whenitrainsitpours

Noble

CHARLIE

Nope Noble, it ain't Pinus whenitrainsitpourseaus but you don't know how close you are to figuring it out. DanG close. With a little thunkin' and internet searchin', I'm betting you'll beat Jeff and anyone else on this one....... :o ;D
Charlie

Paul_H

Pinus Iodized? Pinus Free Running? Pourhere? Table Pine.

Morton Pine :P

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Um, UMb UM,
It looks like a Sciadopitys Verticillata,but it isn't a Pinus :-/

Oh well,got to keep trying

Paul_H

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

DanG it, you caused me to do more homework than all six years I spent in High school!

I heard about salt bush,  I found salt cedar,  I looked up: Salt Pine, Sodium Pine, Iodized Pine.  No results.  

I thought about looking up Box pine but I'm just about schratched and wound!

Noble

Paul_H

Bro. Noble

Well excuse you Paul

Do you need some GAS_X

Noble

Corley5

Umbrella Pine.  Is it the same pine that was imported by Roman Emperors and still grows in Rome also?  I believe it may have come from Africa?  I remember seeing them on the hills in Rome.  Big trees.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CHARLIE

Well, by golly y'all got it before Jeff was able to figure it out.
Paul actually nailed it when he said Pinus pinea..and..he didn't even know it.  It's Pinus pinea Linnaeus.  Then Corley5 got the common name and told some about it. Way to go guys!!!  If you'll both send me $20 to cover shipping and handling I'll send you your prize C.O.D. ;D ;D

http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/pi/pin/pinea.htm  
Charlie

Paul_H

Sorry Noble,but my wife says there is no excuse for me :)

We got it? 8) 8)

That was good fun,Charlie

Bro. Noble

Charlie,

That was a good one!

Paul,
Atta Boy!  Hope you didn't OD on that Birch Beer!

Noble

Thank You Sponsors!