iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woo-Hoo! New saw

Started by moosehunter, December 02, 2005, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Went to my favorite loggin' supply store last night and bought me a nice shiny new MS440. Can't wait to get out of this garage and get it dirty! It is replacing a twenty year old poulan pro4000. My throttle finger is ichin'.
I also picked up my wife's Christmas present, but I can't tell ya what it is 'couse sometimes she sneaks on to the FF to see what I been up to!
MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sawguy21

Sure is fun buying your own Christmas present isn't it? 8) What are you going to do with all that speed and power? Just kidding, you should really enjoy it, sure is a lot nicer than the 038 it replaced.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodhog

Congrats on your new MS440..

I have had one now for 4 months, I also use a red 2159, and an orange 357XP the difference
in the Sthil 440 compared to the other two saws is out of this world...

I really like it for sawing off stumps in my roads etc, the other two saws get red hot while the
440 just rumbles along...

I do find it a bit tiring at my advanced age but the cutting power buzz overcomes the sore
shoulders and wrists...

Have fun...

beenthere

moosehunter

There is a new member signed up, and maybe she is callin herself "Sawmillgal"  ::) ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

beenthere,
Naww, she wouldn't go to the trouble of signin' up. For the longest time she would get on the computor at home, check out the FF and ask me how I could ever get any work done 'couse I am ALWAYS online!?!
It took some doin' but I finally convinced her that when she clicked on the FF the computor doesn't know it's her and not me, so it shows that I am on line :D :D
mh

dozerdan

Woodhog
If you compare the 440 with the 2159 and the 357, the 440 will rule every time. Those two small saws shouldn't be compared to the 440. A better comparison would be the 440 and the Husky 372 or the Jonsered 2171, these saws are in the same engine size class.
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

fishhuntcutwood

Congrats on the new saw.  I've got an 044 and a 440, and I think it's an excellent saw platform.  I just bought my Christmas present as well, a new 200T.  I'm as happy with that as you are with your's.  Have fun!

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Bushwhacker

moosehunter, if you haven't already gotten one I recommend a dual port muffler cover from your Stihl dealer. I put one on my 460 and it didn't void the warranty. Didn't cost much either.  Happy Sawing.
KLH

Weekend_Sawyer

That's a nice saw, I could not be happyer with mine.
I hardley fire up my 066 anymore.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

moosehunter

What do I gain with a "dual port muffler"?
Sawing for me is a hobby. I don't want to work at. I like to leave my toys stock so as to keep the breakdowns to a minimum. I fix things all week, on my days off, I don't want to fix things.

macpower

Moose,
My company just gave me a MS440 as my Christmas bonus. I've run a lot of them, but this is the first one that stays home. I set it down in the mud room and my ACD,(Australian Cattle Dog), has taken up guarding it. Guess he likes it too!
My bet is that you are going love it. I try to run all the saw models I sell, so I can get a feel how they compare. I won't stock a model I don't like myself. The 440 was my pick as a "keeper".
I also have run moddified saws in the past, just can't see it anymore. I think it is the "less is more" attitude that comes with running and working on equipment for 30+ years.
Did you get your bride a MS361? She could do the limbin', and take care off the firewood for the kitchen stove.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

logger

I really like my 440 it is by far my favorite saw!!!  Have fun with your saw!  If you like power you'll love the 440.  In my view it is almost unstoppable in Pennsylvania Timber.  Let us know how your first time with it is! 8) ;D :D :)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

fishhuntcutwood

Quote from: moosehunter on December 02, 2005, 04:44:51 PM
What do I gain with a "dual port muffler"?

You'll gain extra hp, likely 1/4-1/2 hp.  You'll pick up several hundred available rpm, and your operating temp will go down.  It's a bolt on ugrade.  P/N is 1128 140 0801 at your Stihl dealer.  Just be sure to richen up  your carb afterwards.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

jokers

Quote from: fishhuntcutwood on December 03, 2005, 11:52:47 AM
........you're operating temp will go down.

Jeff

Which is a nice longevity bonus in addition to the performance improvement.

Russ

fishhuntcutwood

Holy cow Russ!  Your quote of me just showed me my grammatical error.  ::)  We need Spacemule around here to correct my grammar....well maybe not.  :D

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

jokers

Everyone has their time and place. Spacemule seems to be content keeping the ASers in line.

Sorry about quoting your faux pas, I didn`t even notice.

Russ

moosehunter

I didn't take it out this weekend. The Mrs. says we need one more deer in da freezer, so I went hunting. Thats ok though, It's still clean!

sawguy21

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Weekend_Sawyer

I like the way your Mrs. thinks ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Chris J

Ask your wife if you're running low on fish as well ;D.  Hey, it might work.

Aw ra best!  Chris J.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

moosehunter

I don't fish much. Fishing ruins two days for me. The first day I spend getting upset every time a fish interupts my beer drinking, the second day I have to recover from too many beers ;D

Chris J

Too many beers  ????  I've never heard of that.

Chris J.  ;D
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

OLD_ JD

MH did u get that second deer in the freezer to keep Mrs. happy :D :D
season must be over by now ???
canadien forest ranger

moosehunter

Serge,
I hunt with a front loader and front loader season lasts untill Dec. 20.
This weekend I have to fix my bride's car, hopefully it will be done Sat. so I can hunt Sunday!
Did you not come down to hunt this year?? I hear that Kevin (Ed's little brother), got a 16 point monster, but I have yet to see a picture of it.
mh

moosehunter

Wow :o

I can't believe it took me seven weeks to use this saw for the first time. What an animal! I got a job sawing a 40" x 40' willow that fell in a storm. It took me longer to get ready than to cut thru that tree fifteen times!
I can't wait to try it on hardwood ;D
mh

Thank You Sponsors!