iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodsmanPRO Breaker & Spinner .....

Started by TexasTimbers, February 15, 2006, 05:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I bought the Woodsman Pro breaker and spinner combo from Bailey's. I was suprised to find there is no instruction manual with it. Does anyone have any pictures (I know this is a longshot) of one or both of them being used? Pretty sure I have the spinner figured out but the breaker is making me feel stooooopid.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

HiOctane

Choose the right size anvil,lets say 3/8,"slide the chain in the groove where you want to cut it,be sure she is well seated ,put one of the two rivets under the punch and let the punch do the job.

DonE911

Same thing with mine.... they must not have instructions....  come to think of it the chain grinder didn't have any either.

TexasTimbers

Well I actually spent some time figuring out the spinner and breaker yesterday and made up some chains but I'll be DanGed if I wasn't so flummoxed about having to waste an hour doing it that I called Bailey's to "share my thoughts". The guy said "Yes we get ALOT of calls about this from people who buy it ...."
Bottom line is as long as people are buying them (without the knowledge that the "instructions" are SUCKO) then they aren't going to do anything about it.
I thought about writing soem instructions and sending them to Bailey's to forward to the manufacturer but then I wondered why I should. I can't save the world.  ::) :o :D

beenthere

kevjay
Maybe post those instructions here, and they will help the members and as well, may find their way to the mfg. Give it a shot. The WOrld will be a better place for it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

It's a nice thought beenthere, and while I fancy myself much better at explaining things to other people than trying to visualize them myself, I would have to write them out, have my bonus son (fantastic artist) illustrate them, scan them in and post them.
That's just not something I can promise is going to happen anytime soon.  ;D

But to anyone who buys the combo and needs assisstance, I will gladly talk you through it over the landline. Shoot me an email or a PM and we'll take it from there.  8)

sawguy21

Make sure the tie strap is seated in the groove and the punch is centred on the rivet. If it is off centre, you will probably bend the driver. If the driver is too tight after spinning. punch it out and redo it. Don't leave it hoping it will loosen up,  the chain may break. I learned the hard way. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

Okay I think I was careful abnout that, I did see that as being hard to hold and do precisely if you got in a hurry. I NEVER get in a hurry!  ::)

Rocky_J

Put a little dab of grease on the spinner head before spinning each rivet. Your spinner heads will last forever if you do so.

TexasTimbers

I guess I better re-phrase. I'm not ready to write any instructions.  :-[ It's giving me the trouble again. I thought I had it down but I went to make up some more chains today and was less than pleased with my results. I don't understand what the spinner side does. The tool that is used in it ....

has that slot which has a purpose unknown to me. If it's to just allow the rivet  to mushroom before the rest of the face of the tool hits the link body why isn't it just like this one .....

And am I supposed to insert the link this way with the rivet pointing away from the spinner .....
?
(FYI - I am referring to the side opposite the spinner as the "anvil" side because the literature doesn't give it a name and I don't know any better, but it's the side that screws in, to flatten the rivet over the tie strap)

.......or this way?
The rivets are pointing toward the spinner side here. Which is correct? I don't know I have been able to do it from both sides. I've tried both ways with varying results both ways.

I also don't see how to make an adjustment so that the chain is not curved....

There is no adjustment for this. Of course I can shim the plastic holders out but it seems like an incomplete system if I have to do that.

Also I noticed to get better results I have to hold the links together with needle-nose pliers (or wire strippers whatever ya got handy) while I turn the punch handle to smash the rivet. I think this is normal yes?

Both of these two top rivets were flattened from the same side. The one on the right looks buggered up and is siezed. The one of the left is free, but went through the same process as its neighbor.

This is the other side of the very same link; of course the rivet up there that is on the right hand side is now this one below on th LHS.....

Here's a different chain altogether where the rivets just don't flatten out as big as the factory ones. Is this normal/okay?

I hope this eventually ends up helping someone out. Me for one.  I've never seen it done and I had to experience some difficulties today to realize I probably just got lucky Wednesday or whenever I thought I had it figured out but it's like half of my brain cells have taken a vacation with this silly thing. I wonder if some guys have been doing it "wrong" also and yet getting good results. I have used the thing both ways and gotten okay results (flattened head and still free to move) but just not consistently.

Edit:  I have had better results by not using the spinner for anything other than something to hold the rivet against while the anvil screws in to do its job. Since I don't have this thing figured out, I don't understand what purpose the spinner actually serves.

TexasTimbers

Just re-reading my post, I think that the "curved chain" problem just got solved. There must be a longer tool that is used for 375 chain. I bet I have the tool in there that is used for bigger (thicker) 404(?) chain?
Will check that out when I go back to the shop.

Minnesota_boy

The purpose of the spinner is to form a head on the rivet without deforming the center.  You want the center to remain the same size so the drive link can pivot freely.  If you just push the rivet with the anvil until it forms a head, the center of the rivet will swell until the link cannot swivel.

You have to practice a bit to know how much to spin and how far to push to get a head that will hold the link together without pinching the link together too much and putting a bind on the drive link that way as well.  It isn't simple, but it isn't rocket science either.  :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

TexasTimbers

That's easy for you to say.   ;)

I bet you seen it done somewhere before you just bought one. C'mon. Tell the truth. Unless that'll make me feel even dumber in which case you are allowed to stretch the truth a wee bit.  ;D

Minnesota_boy

OK, I'll fess up.  I fed my family by working in a small engine shop for about 8 years and part of the job was to break and shorten chains or make new ones from a roll.   ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

TexasTimbers

Thanks. Check your Paypal account you should be recieving the $50 shortly.  ;D

Kirk_Allen

Dont feel bad Keving.  Even I was called an idiot for not understanding how to make the stupid thing work.   ::)

The purpose of the spinner is to heat up the rivet head while there is slight pressure from the other side.  As you spin (faster is better) the head heats up and startes to flatten out.  Adjust the tension as you spin a little at a time and before you know it you will have a uniform expansion on the rivet head. 

TexasTimbers

That is an explanation even I understand. First I heard about the heat factor.   smiley_striped_tophat

dredgeslavedave

The side with the completely round piece is where the back side of the rivet goes. Then put the tie strap on. Then use the side with the slot to spin the rivet. The slotted side, rounds off the rivet to form the head. I bought the same spinner and breaker set from Baileys. I was shocked that there were no instructions in the box. I just kept trying until it came out kinda right. Dave.
3 Alaskan's and a Grandburg mini mill. The newest addition to the family, Peterson WPF 8 inch with electric raising winch

Kirk_Allen

Sounds like quite a few of us were idiots when it came to learning how to use the tool :D

Maybe Baileys will read this and see the NEED to provide adequate instructions for it. 

TexasTimbers

I was on the phone with Caprice at Bailey's the other day about a matter unrelated and I happened to mention my frustration about having to have had to figure the thing out the hard way and much to my suprise she said "Well then I need to email you the instructions."
I said "There are no instructions you're gonna email me the assembly instructions and they stink."
"No sir, I use to work in fulfillment I know for sure there are instructions I have them on my computer. Sometimes they just get in a hurry and don't include them."
"Sometimes? I know alot of guys on the Forestry Forum that didn't get them either, like NONE of them."
"Yes sir I have heard the FF has had some complaints about this.... what's your email?"
She emailed them. I receieved them. They are not bad at all. They are in Adobe so you can zoom in on the smaller detailed stuff.
If you want them call Bailey's and ask for Caprice and aske her to send them to you. She offered to download them on the Forum but I don't see them anywhere.
HTH

Thank You Sponsors!