iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what would be a good price to pay

Started by sgtmaconga, June 07, 2007, 12:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtmaconga

I'm running short on pine logs for the barn. can anyone tell me what a good price per log be for georgia?

WDH?
Measure twice cut once

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Would that be charred or uncharred? I hear they may be running special deals on predried logs, although there may be a light coat of soot to be dealt with...

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

I rarely have to pay for pine logs, as I've done a bit of networking with the tree service folks and the power company.  If I do pay, I won't go over 10¢ per bf, Doyle.  That's delivered, and I don't pay for sorry logs.

The folks that give me logs on a regular basis have their lumber needs filled for free, within reason.  People who have given me logs in the past get a special price when they need something. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sgtmaconga

Thats great DanG thanks for the idea. i have a tree guy around the corner who say's i can pick the logs i want from his piles for 15.oo per log. the ones i'm looking at are around 20' long with a 18 to 26 dia. the longa are knot free base logs.
Measure twice cut once

rebocardo

I can't give pine logs away, never mind find a buyer. Same with most tree services and with the price of fuel, I guess it isn't worth hauling to a yard in small numbers either for most. I think finding a local tree service and buying them for pulp wood price is fair since most don't want to take it anywhere either and at least in Atlanta, it is taken to the dump. Many companies chip the trees and try to give away free chips.

Dodgy Loner

Sgtmaconga, $15 per log is a great deal for the type of logs you're talking about, especially if you can pick through them and just take the best ones.  High volume sawmills pay a LOT more than that for their timber.  Some folks around here probably wouldn't pay that much for them, but that's because they already get as much wood as they can handle.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on June 07, 2007, 10:37:25 AM
The folks that give me logs on a regular basis have their lumber needs filled for free, within reason.  People who have given me logs in the past get a special price when they need something. ;)

Since I wnet to the DanG school of log acquisition (did I spell that right ???), it follows that I just keep a stack of pine lumber cut and the tree removal fellow knows to help himself if he needs anything.  I have more pine than I can handle.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sgtmaconga

thanks for the input guys. it looks like i have a good guy to deal with.
Measure twice cut once

WDH

I agree with DanG that 10 cents per bd-ft doyle is about right unless the logs are prime clear logs from the woods.  Then, they would be worth more.  With your mill, you should yield about  1 MBF for every 5.5 tons of logs (maybe even a little better than that).  So, if a good price for a truckload of tree length pine sawlogs to a 8" top minimum from the woods is $55/ton, then a top price for logs delivered to yourplace would be (5.5 times 55) divided by 1000 =  $.30/bf-ft for the finest quality.  However, that would be too much to pay because of all the work required to unload them. 

Not likely that you will be able to get a truckload delivered from the woods anyway.  The tree service approach sounds best, especially if they can deliver them to you. 

I might have some more that you can come get.  I will look around and let you know if there are anymore sound trees that expired from the drought.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sgtmaconga

I got a call from another lady tonight that has 13 logs for me to pick up on monday. it seems that just as i'm getting log more pop up. thanks for the offer WDH. when ever your ready for more manure for the garden let me know.

btw i found me a set of used forks for my loader at a good price. i picked them up this morning.
Measure twice cut once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!