iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LL's "walk in the woods"

Started by Lanier_Lurker, August 20, 2007, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

On Saturday I hiked the first 5 miles or so of the Appalachian Trail - from Springer Mountain to Noontootla Creek.

I have a bunch of pictures, but I have been too busy and I am too tired tonight to put forth the effort to size them appropriately for posting here.

But, I wanted to go ahead and offer up some commentary.

The following are what really caught my attention.

1) The drought:  The stress on several of the tree species was very evident.  Usually this part of Georgia gets decent rainfall even in drought years.  The severity of our current drought is shocking. 

2) I was surprised at the relative abundance of hickory in this area, both mockernut and pignut.  Even at the summit of Springer Mountain at 3782ft there were hickories galore.

3) I was *amazed* at the abundance of sassafras in this area, although I saw very few mature trees

4) I was surprised at the absence of sweetgum, the weed of Southeastern trees.

5) I was surprised at the relative scarcity of northern red oak.  They seemed to be outnumbered by hickories.

6) I was surprised at the relative abundance of white oak, especially compared to northern red oak.

As we neared Noontootla Creek we began to encounter some mostly pure stands of eastern hemlock.  I saw some big trees, but nothing larger than 4 feet in diameter.  I also saw the biggest eastern white pine I have ever seen.

Lastly, I saw an amazing number of a certain tree of special significance.  I will be posting those pictures first (when I can get them conditioned).

Sadly, I could not really explore and take pictures very far off the trail since the people I was with were more interested in maintaining a 25-30 minutes/mile pace than looking at trees.  Fortunately, there was an older guy in the group that fell behind so I only had to keep up with him.  So, my lollygagging had a dual purpose as I could keep an eye on him.  All in all it was a fun day.

More to come....

WDH

I suspect the shade tolerance of the hickories accounts for their abundance, especially in relation to northern red oak since it (NRO) was (I am sure) preferentially logged when those areas were clearcut the last time.

So, you are going to string us out till tomorrow on the pics ???. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I'm always the straggler on hikes through the mountains, because every 100 yards something causes me to stop and proclaim, "Cool, look at this!"  Of course, after the first 10 or 12 times everybody just rolls their eyes and keeps walking :D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

I've noticed in group hikes that most people walk with their heads down watching their feet.  Every once in a while, they will stop to catch their breath then look around. ???  I've learned to trust my feet without looking at them. :)  Get to take in lot's more then. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

The old Forester here that I admired used to tell me "Most folks look down when they walk in the woods, most of the information is up".  Of course he was talking about the trees and their health, but there is a world of knowledge to be gained by looking up at tree trunks, understory and canopy.  The forest Floor has neat stuff too, but a lot of times the canopy will point you to it.

I think that one must keep his ears open too.  There is a specific buzzing sound that should be an indication to take further notice of the forest floor.

OneWithWood

By design our necks swivel side to side and up and down.  I believe the purpose of this design is specifically for woods walking.  Make the most of it by looking up, down, left, right, repeat.  Keep the motion slow enough you don't get dizzy and waltz into the briars  :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

LL,

I guess that I am just going to have to go up there and walk that trail myself since there are not any pics :) ;) :D ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Furby

Can I come with ???

Wanna extend the walk by oh, just a "few" miles ???

WDH

Hey Furb, there was a time a good while back when I was seriously considering that hike plus the full extension that you reference.  Hey, I still might do it if I stay diligent on the "Weight Control" thread and get into better walking shape ;).

Now that would be an experience.  Have you done it?  (Just think of all the extra weight that the tree books would add :-\).

Furby

Think of it this way, you will lose the weight doing the hike! smiley_thumbsup
Kill two birds with one stone! ;)
Nope never done it, but it's secong on my list after floating the Yukon. :)
Both trips are about the same distance and take about the same time.
I need three summers free (with bills paid ahead) to do my current short, short list.

What tree books............ that's why I want to go with you and Dodgy! ;) ;D :o

Lanier_Lurker

I was amazed at the number and size of these trees that I saw.  I did not expect to see this tree on this trip, that is for sure.  Since I have never seen any in the wild I really did not know what to expect.  I do not know what to make of this (being an amateur).  The largest tree I saw was  25ft tall and larger than the size of my forearm at the lower trunk.  It almost brought tears to my eyes.

The morons I was hiking with did not understand my childish excitement. 

Actually, that is not quite fair to them: ignorance does not necessarily make one a moron.  These are actually some pretty smart guys I was with.  Just ill, mis, or non informed.

This next picture is a good example of the stress I was seeing on many of the trees.  Not much doubt as to what this is, yes?

I have more pictures, but this is all I had time to prepare tonight.

WDH

Wow, LL.  To see those trees would be a treat.  Ohh, the stories I have read about.  How I would have liked to have made that hike 80 years ago.  Apparently, the roots do pretty well in opposing their affliction.  It pleases me to know that you were excited, because I would have been too :).  (Thanks for the pics.  They brought a smile to me).

That little Lauraceaean is having a hard time :-\.   I will post a pic tomorrow of a similar situation. 

WDH

Quote from: Furby on August 22, 2007, 11:37:20 PM
What tree books............ that's why I want to go with you and Dodgy! ;) ;D :o

We would make a good team.  You could do the BBQ-ing, Dodgy would do the tree ID-ing, and I would hump the packs :D.

Furby

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2007, 11:51:20 PM
Wow, LL.  To see those trees would be a treat.  Ohh, the stories I have read about.  How I would have liked to have made that hike 80 years ago.  Apparently, the roots do pretty well in opposing their affliction.  It pleases me to know that you were excited, because I would have been too :).  (Thanks for the pics.  They brought a smile to me).

That little Lauraceaean is having a hard time :-\.   I will post a pic tomorrow of a similar situation. 

Sadly, I saw one of the small tress that showed clear signs of the blight.  I did not get a picture of it.

I wonder if history will ever record who actually brought the Asian trees into NY that started this genocide?

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2007, 11:53:06 PM
Quote from: Furby on August 22, 2007, 11:37:20 PM

We would make a good team.  You could do the BBQ-ing, Dodgy would do the tree ID-ing, and I would hump the packs :D.

If you're carrying the packs, I'm signing up right now!  It would be tough going with that blue ox grill for Furby's BBQing, though :D.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Furby

:D :D :D
I can get by without the blue ox roaster.
When we leaving ???

bitternut

You guys are going to have a long walk if you hike to the end of it. Actually you should start at the other end then it will all be down hill. ;D You would never make it across Mount Washington with this late of a start. We saw a lot of people walking that trail when we were up at the top of Mount Washington. All the hikers we saw were young and thin.

Guess you guys in the South have lots of small Chestnut in your woods also. Did you find any burrs with viable nuts in them? I have found a few but most are just hollow burrs.

WDH

Quote from: bitternut on August 23, 2007, 07:02:01 PM
All the hikers we saw were young and thin.

Well, I guess that rules me out.  Dodgy and Furby can still go, though :).

Don K

Danny, remember the turtle won the race! ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: bitternut on August 23, 2007, 07:02:01 PM
Guess you guys in the South have lots of small Chestnut in your woods also. Did you find any burrs with viable nuts in them? I have found a few but most are just hollow burrs.

I did not see any burrs, but I did not look very hard either.

OneWithWood

But Danny, you will soon be thin.  The young part is all in your approach.  You did not strike me as being any older than I am and I am still young  :D

My dad once accused me of going through my second childhood.  I had to inform him that I was not done with the first one yet  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

You are right, OWW.  I am getting thinner by the minute and I am young at heart ;D.

SwampDonkey

You ain't far enough yet at Mount Washington, ya gotta keep climbing....erm in latitude.  ;D

Near Corner Brook, Newfoundland

Humber river Newfoundland

Somewhere in the same vicinity, just forget exactly.

I can confirm there is a trail as soon as ya leave the Ferry in Port aux Basques. You'll see whales as ya cross in July from North Sydney, NS. ;D

http://www.iatnl.ca/

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!