iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sapling ID

Started by OneWithWood, April 25, 2003, 08:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I often have difficulty distinguishing tree species when culling saplings in the fall and winter when there are no leaves.  I generally try to ID by bark and shape.  Perhaps there is some info on buds or something else?  Are there any good books on the subject?  All my tree ID books are geared towards larger trees.
Thank-you for your assistance.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

dewwood

OWW,
There is a Peterson Field Guide called "Eastern Trees" that I like as a reference volume.  It has some pictures and descriptions of buds.  My son uses this guide and another Peterson Guide called "Eastern Trees and Shrubs" in his work with The Nature Conservancy.  

Try Amazon, they have lots of these books available.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

OneWithWood

Thanks, Dew.
  I also got a reply from Bill Cook of MSU suggesting I try to locate a book by William Harlow titled 'Fruit Key and Twig Key to Trees and Shrubs, Dover Books, 1946.  He also suggested I start my own collection during the summer while the leaves are on.  Coincidentally my wife and I were talking about doing just that as were were mushroom hunting this weekend.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Texas Ranger

The Harlow book is in my library, and the one I took up in Forestry School, yea those many years ago.  Excellent choice.  It gives bud and leaf scar photos that really do a good job.  It may be out of print, but if so, there is a newer version out there some where.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

I still use the Harlow and Harrar; Textbook of Dendrology, fourth edition. An "old" forestry school book, but still the best on bud, seed, etc, ID.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!