iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stupid question (pitch and gauge)

Started by Engineer, March 19, 2008, 11:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

OK, this has got to be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to figure it out myself like I usually can...  ::)

How do I tell what the pitch and gauge is of my saw chain if the bar isn't marked?  On my MS390 it's clearly marked "3/8" pitch, .050 gauge, 72DL" or similar, on a 20" Oregon bar.   The 16" GB bar on my 025 doesn't seem to be marked.   Every other link of the chain I have on it, is marked "Stihl .325" but that's it.  I need some new chains for both saws and don't want to buy Stihl chain locally because it's too expensive - I need to know what I'm talking about when I order.

Dan_Shade

measure it!  go across 3 rivits and divide by two for pitch, measure the width of the drivelink for the gauge.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Cut4fun

Engineer

OK, I think I got it.   I checked the drive link thickness with a good dial caliper and got 0.062", so I guess I need 0.325 pitch by 0.063 gauge chain for the 025.   

I think this corresponds appropriately with the Woodsman Pro 23RC chain that Bailey's sells. 

rebocardo

> this corresponds appropriately with the Woodsman Pro 23RC chain that Bailey's sells. 

Yes, that is what I buy for my MS-250. It cuts well.

Thank You Sponsors!