iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS200T or Husqvarna 338XPT

Started by Red 93 L1 #3383, December 01, 2008, 01:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red 93 L1 #3383

I know there are other top handle saws out there but these are the two they will chose from.  Our senior forester wants a new MS200T, the young one wants a 338XPT.  We have one of each already the 338XPT ( used by the young forester ) being the older of the two saws but the MS200T ( used by the older forester ) gets alot more use.  The older guy cuts trees year round where as the young guy along w/ a bunch of seasonal help plant trees & grind stumps all summer long & only cuts trees after a t-storm comes through.  I myself prefer the feel of the MS200T.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Rocky_J

I've never liked the boxiness of the 200T but it's a much better saw than the 338. I tried for years to find an alternative and bought many saws in my search for something to use other than the Stihl. But finally about 5 years ago I gave in and went over to the 'Dark Side' and bought my first 200T. I now own three and wouldn't consider any other tophandle.

But I'm not a Stihl cheerleader by any means. I own two Husky 346s, three 372s and a 395. My only other Stihl is an HT101 pole pruner.  But in the tophandle class, the 200T is far above any other option. Nothing else comes close.

parkmark

I agree, I've used both saws for climbing.  And even though I'm a Husqy guy at heart a 338XPT can't compare with a 200T.  The Stihl is much less tempermental and seems to cut a little faster.  Both good traits when hanging from a tree. Definately go with the stihl.  Good luck.

hornett22

i am as big a Husky fan as gets but................

the ms200t is far and beyond the 338xpt.the 200 is better balanced and has better power.just a better saw.i sold my 338 and bought an ms 192t,much better saw as well.

Husky makes great saws,except in the top handle market.

Jasperfield

We've used the 020Ts and the 200Ts surveying in the Great Smokeys, five days a week, ever since the saws were first produced. No better small saw exists. If the larger saws were as durable and dependable as these, the costs would be prohibitive.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 01, 2008, 07:13:12 AM
I've never liked the boxiness of the 200T but it's a much better saw than the 338. I tried for years to find an alternative and bought many saws in my search for something to use other than the Stihl. But finally about 5 years ago I gave in and went over to the 'Dark Side' and bought my first 200T. I now own three and wouldn't consider any other tophandle.

But I'm not a Stihl cheerleader by any means. I own two Husky 346s, three 372s and a 395. My only other Stihl is an HT101 pole pruner.  But in the tophandle class, the 200T is far above any other option. Nothing else comes close.

I remember that, but it is about time to look the other way again, after the improvements implemented recently on the Jonsered 2139T and the NE338xpt (ask rbtree).....

It looks like they finally got those saws right.    :) :)
Information collector.

rebocardo

I have seen tree climbers and tree services using all sorts of saws, including homelite , but, I can not remember seeing anyone using a top handle saw other then Stihl.

SouthernVT LawnLogger

I have only been in the business for about 3 years of just climbing i have used stihl and husky i disk like both i needed something cheap and many guys around my area run the Echo 360T i find they are easier to start when they are hot.  I have witnessed my boss and throw husky saws out the tree because they wont start once they get hot.  also the stihls seem to not like idling  when they are hanging at your side.  Any one have any of the same issues.  it seems like the echo has just a much power as any other climbing saw that i have used.  just throwing it out there any word on the New Jonsered? i'd like to run one and just have a comparison of all them. 

Rocky_J

Any idling issue on a 200T is either due to lack of proper adjustment or something the user did wrong (dirty filter, abuse, etc). If a saw gets hot enough to not start then that is operator error (forcing a saw with a dull chain, improper adjustment, etc). If you think the Echo 360 is just as strong as a Stihl 200T then you just keep right on believing that. You'll learn the truth one day.

Jonsered is owned by Husqvarna. Any new Jonsered models will most likely be red Husqvarnas, nothing more. They still have a couple Jonsered-only models but not many.

SouthernVT LawnLogger

Maybe you should look at the market more because Jonsered just came out with a new style this year and there are a few guys that enjoy running them.  why don't you stop being so narrow minded and try running them.  you don't have to by the name when you can go out and get something that is half the price and does the same job.  i have access to stihl, husky, and echo but 700 dollars way to much to pay for a stihl but that is just my choice.  why dont you try one out for your self instead of bad talking me about what my preference is.

Dave Shepard

$700 for an MS200T?  :o I think it's more like $500. Rocky is a diehard Husky fan, and yet, he has a pile of MS200T's. Wonder why?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

vtbuckslayer

Stihl is the only way to go southernvt. maybe you should realize the best when you see one. learn how to take care of your saws and you will have no problem. and 700$ will get you a brand new 441. so maybe do a little more research. :P
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

hornett22

i see them here in Connecticut for under $600 all the time.my dealer has them for $569 or 579.i can't remember which.

338 is a great wheel chock.

Ax- man

Red,

You didn't mention if you were climbing trees. Sounds like your doing more ground work with a chainsaw. If you are get the rear handled version of the MS 200. It is perfect for doing light ground work.  A top handle is more for bucket work. This is just my opinion as the top handle MS 200 is used as a climbing saw by many climbers.

I use a rear handle 200 for climbing and like it immensely. We have another rear handle for  doing ground work like trimming limbs to go through the chipper or cutting small diameter trees. It is is extremelyl lightweight and fast.  A real pleasure to use.

What I like about the rear handled 200 is the customized contoured grip on the front handle. Feels like it was custom made to fit your hands unlike the normal round handles found on other saws. It aids in controlling the saw a little better to me.

I have tried other brands and you get what you pay for. The Sthil 200 is worth the extra which is why most guys that make a living doing trees have more than one of them if they are climbers or run a bucket truck. 

Red 93 L1 #3383

I don't cut trees @ work, just at home for firewood.  I get most of my wood from work in 12'to 15' lengths and 12+".  Everything under 12" goes thru the chipper.  The guys who actually cut the trees @ work do alot of bucket cutting.  Most of their trimming is done over the city streets for the garbage trucks to drive under.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

ladylake

I've heard that the Echo 360 responds real good to a muffler mod and takeing the limiter cap off and giveing them enough fuel, right on the heels of the 200t then at half the cost. Nothing wrong with the 200t except the cost.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 07, 2008, 01:54:14 PM
Any idling issue on a 200T is either due to lack of proper adjustment or something the user did wrong (dirty filter, abuse, etc). If a saw gets hot enough to not start then that is operator error (forcing a saw with a dull chain, improper adjustment, etc).  ..

Hmmmm - I have read a lot about carb issues on the 200/200T in the past...... ::)
Information collector.

chevytaHOE5674

Having climbed and chunked trees down with a 200T, 192T, 338XP, and a echo 330T and 360T,;I will say hands down the 200T is the fastest saw out of the box.

Now having said that i sold my 200T and bought two brand new echo 360T's with the cash. Muffler modded and retuned; side by side they cut right with my old 200T. Sure they might not last as many hours or whatever. But for half the price of a 200T, I can buy multiples and always have a backup.

Stihl is very proud of the 200T and I'm not sure why. I paid less for my MS361 than a little 200T.

tomtrees

I have been climing for years and remember when the 020 was all cast metal It weight a tone. But was solid. The new 020s are lighter and the new 020ts seem to be even lighter and seems to have less compretion than my old 020. I do think that the still are going way to light and plastic and I hate hate hate the new filler caps.

I too had a problem with the 338 starting when hot.

I have tryed to find outhers but in the end I always come back to 020.

Thank You Sponsors!