iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

036 trouble

Started by tyb525, December 15, 2008, 08:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

This weekend I did a little firewood cutting with my stihl 036. The next day, I went to cut some more, but the saw was acting funny. It started and idled fine, but when I tried to rev it up or "blip" the throttle, it would bog down once the rpms started to go up, and it would die if I didn't let off the throttle right away. I was able to get it up to full throttle with some persuasion, but once it got to the mid rpm's it would bog.

I fiddled with the idle a little (turned it up and down slightly) , but it didn't help much. I don't know a lot about the high/low carbs settings, so I didn't mess with them. The gas I used was mixed the day before.

Could someone tell me some things to check, and what they did if they had this problem? I would appreciate it, especially since I have access to a lot of nice hardwood a tree company just cut, and would like to mill some lumber and cut some for firewood before someone else gets it.

Thanks,
Ty
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

First things I check for if the saw been running fine,and I see it has,is gas,you checked that all ready,spark plug,fuel fiter,air cleaner.That's about all that I do. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

thecfarm, thanks, I have yet to check the plug, which I haven't looked at in awhile, fuel filter looks ok from what I can see, and the air cleaner is kinda dirty. That might be the problem, but I'm gonna look at the spark plug first.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dave Shepard

You can also look into the muffler. It's just a big can with a piece of screen over the hole. I've had two strokes that start and idle fine, but won't rev up, and they've had the screens plugged up. What kind of mix oil, and what ratio, are you using?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

I'll have to check out the muffler tomorrow also. I've been using the WoodlandPro stuff from Bailey's. I've been mixing it one bottle to 2.5 gallons, which is 50:1 according to the bottle. But this last time I mixed gas I used up a partially bottle - there was maybe 1/8th left - plus a full one. I didn't think it would make a huge difference, just be more lubrication, and I used to run this saw on something like 32:1 without a problem.

thecfarm

Dave,forget to tell him about that one,thank-you.My Father had a small Husky that required cleaning every so often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_van

Ty, try opening up your low setting on the carb an eighth of a turn at a time, see if that fixes it. When a saw does what yours is doing, it's not getting enough fuel when it needs it.   Could also be plugged filter in the tank, gas or impulse line crack too.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

vtbuckslayer

i would check your fuel lines. especially if the saw has some ages lines will tend to dry up and make the tiniest cracks look real hard or you will completely look over the rip.  I had the same issue and tried everything above on my ms390 and it ended up being a cracked line kinda wierd.
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

Rocky_J

tyb525

Thanks guys! I was able to look at the muffler and it's fine. I haven't been able to look at anything else yet, but I'll let you know what I find when I do.

ellmoe

Like buckslayer said. When we have this problem it is almost always the fuel line.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Norm

I've got two 036 pros and both have had a similar problem. It was the fuel line that cracked and leaked.

Engineer

I'll vote for the fuel line too.  My MS390 did the exact same thing, turns out the fuel line had cracked.  Mine was also leaking gas, so that was a big red flag too.

Dave Shepard

I didn't think of it before, but my 036 PRO got a new fuel line in '07. DanGed  alcohol.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

joe_indi

At times, on the 036/MS360,  the screw on the cover of the pumping chamber on the inverted Zama carb tends to become loose.
This results in air leaks which in turn leads to poor fuel supply.
Joe

Dave Shepard

That's interesting. I've got an 036 that won't move enough fuel, and the line is new, and I don't see any tears in the boot. It was running fine until I did a small muffler mod, and it won't adjust now.

Al_Smith

Check the adjustment of the fuel lever in the carb .It most likely is set incorrectly  or the diaphragm is puckered .

What you described is a classic case of over running the carb .In other words moving more air through the engine that the carb can supply fuel for, for whatever reason .

tyb525

Well guys I finally got time to look at it yesterday. I feel dumb now, it was the carb settings after all  ::). I had them all out of whack somehow. I reset them to factory, then fine-tuned it using the link that Rocky_J provided. It runs better than ever now.

I tested it out milling some hard maple today, and I was able to mill some wide boards (18") easier than ever.  8)

Thanks guys!

Thank You Sponsors!