iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS441 Electronic Carb.

Started by jteneyck, April 04, 2010, 07:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jteneyck

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but some have discussed the advent of electronic carbs in the near future.  Seems Stihl is there, from this posting on another site:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=109494

bandmiller2

Glad I have a lifetime supply of the old fashion adjustable saws,hope Al has enough saws to last him.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jteneyck

I've never had a problem with any of the electronic fuel injection systems on my cars.  I've driven them from sea level to over 12000 ft with narry a hiccup.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but I doubt it.  Seems to me electronic ignition on chainsaws was a big improvement over points and condenser, just like it was on cars.  Don't see why electronic carbs shouldn't be just as beneficial.  As one of the posts in the link said, there are likely to be some issues in the beginning, but the products will get better and then we will all wonder how we ever got along without it.  And about that time, I'll be ready to buy one. 

JohnG28

This sounds like the MS280, with the Intelligent Engine Management.  Is this some form of the same engine control system?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

jteneyck

QuoteThis sounds like the MS280, with the Intelligent Engine Management.  Is this some form of the same engine control system?

Maybe.  I noticed on page 3 of the link below that "Intellicarb" and M-tronic are listed separately.  You are correct, the IEM system is described on the MS-280, while the the Intellicarb is described on the MS-290.  It's unclear if IEM is the same as M-tronic, but the description for IEM sounds about the same as for the M-tronic in the other forum posting.  Sounds a lot like electronic fuel injection, which should be very precise and reliable if they have the bugs worked out, and it doesn't weigh and cost a lot more.  Look forward to learning more.  Maybe time to take a trip to my local Stihl dealer to see if they have a MS-280. 

http://www.stihlcatalog.com/guide/STIHL2010Catalog/3.asp

JohnG28

As I understand the Intellicarb is just a compensating device that runs off of some sort of vacuum system in the airbox, which compensates for differences in altitude. The IEM system as Stihl describes it, has a microprocessor that determines fuel flow by opening and closing a shutter in the carb.  There is something on the flywheel that allows the processor to read engine speed and load.  I havent had a chance to read into the ETronic yet, Ill look it up when I can though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

stonebroke

Is the new self adjusting carb husky has electronic?

Stonebroke

JohnG28

Thats a good question.  I looked online and couldnt find any info on Husky site saying how the AutoTune works, and the catalog I have is from 2009, nothing in there either.  I looked at Stihls site and didnt find anything there about the new ms441 either, for that matter.  May have missed it, but wasnt under any of their new products or chainsaws.  :)

jteneyck

QuoteIs the new self adjusting carb husky has electronic?

Doesn't sound like it based on the link below from Madsen's website.  There is a lot of good info. on EPA compliant saws, as well as recommendations on maintenance and operation.   

http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20epa.htm

QuoteI looked at Stihls site and didnt find anything there about the new ms441 either, for that matter.

Look at page 28 of this link:

http://www.stihlcatalog.com/guide/STIHL2010Catalog/3.asp

HolmenTree

Quote from: stonebroke on April 06, 2010, 10:01:41 AM
Is the new self adjusting carb husky has electronic?

Stonebroke
Sure is. Actually a computer mounted on top of the carb.
I got 3 new 576XP Auto Tunes and right out of the box they run spot on. I couldn't set them any better if they had screws. I was instructed to run them hard in big wood for their very first 5 minutes to reset their carbs from the factories lean EPA settings.
They got lots of torque plus a good peaky topend. Very smooth and reliable.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

I checked out that site, and still dont see any new 441, just the same one that they have had out.  So I take it that Stihl and Husky are going back and forth here with this electronic engine control.  If it works, then it works, I guess time will ultimately tell.  Glad that your liking your new saws.  :)

HolmenTree

My 576XP ATs from their serial #s were built in Aug and Nov of 2009. And from my last information they are still the newest saw technology currently on the market.
I'm sure Stihl has their 441 or 442?? out field testing right at the moment.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

jteneyck

QuoteI checked out that site, and still dont see any new 441, ...

Sorry, page 28 of that link talks about Stihl's IEM system on the MS 280, not the 441. 

I was at my local dealer today and asked about the MS-280.  They've had them for awhile, sold a few, and liked them so far.  No issues that I could pry out of the guy.  He said Stihl would be introducing it on more saws in the future.   

JohnG28

Got ya, Ive read about the ms280 before, just wondered about the 441.  I assume it must be doing ok on the 280 for them to try in on one of their bigger pro saws. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!