iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar or Stihl

Started by cmills, April 04, 2010, 10:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack48

The tale is i could take any saw, run it to its expectations and get good service out of it. My saw's were my life, if they didn't run my family didn't eat, same with the skidder's, this is the life of a logger.
I had two Stihl's that were on the job 8 years, 038 Magnum and a 044 Magnum. After i got hurt, my wife helped me keep the job going 6 years, we quit because you can't  find good help.
After we quit, i gave one son a 028 , sold the 038 for $200.00 [deal] gave two 044's to the other boy for a firewood saw's [he sold firewood] gave my father a 034, he needed a firewood saw. Sold a C5D Treefarmer [353] and a S8 International  [353] Funk Auto. This is hard to do after 30 yrs in the game, it turned to dog eat dog. I've been in this wheelchair 21+ year's, [Doc's gave me 5 yrs to live]  after all the yrs, I'm still logging at night. The thing is guys, live every day to its fullest, [ [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] happens] :)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

peppone

Quote from: SawTroll on April 10, 2010, 08:46:24 AM
Quote from: ladylake on April 09, 2010, 05:05:59 PM
Dolmar saws have just as much metal as pro Stihl or Husky saws, .....

Allmost, but not quite on the 50cc saws.

The difference is the clutch cover that is plaspic on the Dolmars, and Mag on the Stihl and Husky.
the clutch cover of the husqvarna e-series is in plastic as well. and even the piston-rod cover is in plastic...that's worse.
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

SawTroll

Quote from: peppone on April 10, 2010, 02:17:41 PM

the clutch cover of the husqvarna e-series in in plastic as well. and even the piston-rod cover is in plastic...that's worse.

HUH!   ???

What do those saws have to do with pro 50cc saws?    ???

You are quite a bit off here!   :) ::)
Information collector.

peppone

I don't think to be off topic. I was just answering to somebody who says that in dolmar saws there is plastic more than in husqvarna. I was just explaining that in dolmar and husqvarna saws there is the same plastic in the same place: it's up to the line, if professional or not professional.

saluti
peppone
you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

windthrown

Dolmar saws have just as much metal as pro Stihl or Husky saws, over here a new 5100 can be bought for $385. Dolmar has some good dealers, not a lot. Echo does not have cheap plastic, after tipping a tree on one the handle bar was toast, bar bent like a pretzel but no broken plastic.  Maybe we ought to start bashing all the Stihl saws except maybe the bigger pro saws, it's been a long time since I've cut with a Stihl saw that has impressed me but I'd blame most of that on poor maintance     Steve

I bash a lot of Stihl saws too, and I am a StihlHead. But in the lower end, I would take an 025 over any same size Echo saw out there. The plastic is cheaper in the Echos. Over time the threads strip, and the stuff just fails or falls apart. I have had a lot of Echo saws, and a lot more Stihls. No comparison. I am no fan of the new strato Stihl saws either, BTW. More weight... more money.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

miking

My old 025 from ten years ago would have run right over my new Echo 370, but that same Echo would run a new 250 right out of the woods. I've run all three extensively and think myself a pretty good judge of what's what here. I really don't think I'm bashing Stihl in this regard but I do think it's a case of Echo saws catching up to, and perhaps surpassing, their competition.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

ladylake

Quote from: windthrown on April 11, 2010, 08:20:47 PM
Dolmar saws have just as much metal as pro Stihl or Husky saws, over here a new 5100 can be bought for $385. Dolmar has some good dealers, not a lot. Echo does not have cheap plastic, after tipping a tree on one the handle bar was toast, bar bent like a pretzel but no broken plastic.  Maybe we ought to start bashing all the Stihl saws except maybe the bigger pro saws, it's been a long time since I've cut with a Stihl saw that has impressed me but I'd blame most of that on poor maintance     Steve

I bash a lot of Stihl saws too, and I am a StihlHead. But in the lower end, I would take an 025 over any same size Echo saw out there. The plastic is cheaper in the Echos. Over time the threads strip, and the stuff just fails or falls apart. I have had a lot of Echo saws, and a lot more Stihls. No comparison. I am no fan of the new strato Stihl saws either, BTW. More weight... more money.
[/quote

A lot of Echo saws I've had apart have brass inserts where they need them, never found even one on a Stihl saw . Any new Echo the same cc as a 025 or MS250 will cut faster and last longer than a 50 or 150 hour rated Stihl. Echo saws are  rated at 300 hours , the reason being they are biult better.  If you want to compare Stihl to Echo you better use thier pro saws.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rocky_J

The hour ratings have nothing to do with build quality or expected life span. Hour ratings are strictly an EPA score of how long the machine is expected to remain in compliance with emissions standards. Any argument attempting to use EPA hour ratings to imply quality or life expectancy are null and void.  :P

ladylake

The argument above is null and void .  Don't you think Stihl would put a 300 hour EPA rating on thier cheapers saws if they could and the saw would hold up to specs that long,  the cheap Stihl  saws ARE built cheap    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: peppone on April 10, 2010, 06:02:25 PM
I don't think to be off topic. I was just answering to somebody who says that in dolmar saws there is plastic more than in husqvarna. I was just explaining that in dolmar and husqvarna saws there is the same plastic in the same place: it's up to the line, if professional or not professional.

saluti
peppone

OK, but you are wrong anyway regarding pro 50cc saws - the Dolmars have a "plastic" clutch cover, vs a Mag one on the Huskys.  I also believe the PS5000 have a "plastic" handlebar as well, unlike the 5100S and the Huskys.

Another difference is that Husky still use Mag in the same places on the "semi-pro" version (353), while Dolmar use a much heavier Alu case on the 500/510........ 8) 8)
Information collector.

windthrown

Quote from: miking on April 11, 2010, 09:41:41 PM
My old 025 from ten years ago would have run right over my new Echo 370, but that same Echo would run a new 250 right out of the woods. I've run all three extensively and think myself a pretty good judge of what's what here. I really don't think I'm bashing Stihl in this regard but I do think it's a case of Echo saws catching up to, and perhaps surpassing, their competition.

Echo? Surpass Stihl?  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And sorry, but the new Stihl 250 of today has the exact same plastic, handle, and engine as the Stihl 025 of yester year. Everything is interchangable except the flippy caps and the screw in ones for the gas and oil, and the tank vent is different. I have owed over a dozen 1123 model Stihl saws, and I have torn them all down and rebuilt half of them. Half my 250s had 025 engines in them. No difference. Some had fixed jet carbs, and they suck, but that is the carb and not the saw.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

ladylake

You finally got it right Windy, Echo surpasses Stihl in every thing but sales and I think with the junk over rated  home owner saws they sell now that they will be losing sales after people figure it out.  Polaris used to be the NO  1 selling snowmobile by far with 70% of the market, now after putting out a over rated low quality product they are down to a 15% market share. These companys can't live off thier name forever, they need to keep the quality up on all of thier products not just some of them. Right now Echo vs the Stihl home owner lineup Echo wins in every thing except sale and maybe wiegh on a couple of models. My MS170 is light, my CS370 wieghs a little more but cuts TWICE as fast  . Nothing wrong with the Stihl pro saws except price , but a simple muffer mod puts the same cc Echo right with them , and they cost way less.   Steve

miking

Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 11, 2010, 10:09:50 PM
The hour ratings have nothing to do with build quality or expected life span. Hour ratings are strictly an EPA score of how long the machine is expected to remain in compliance with emissions standards. Any argument attempting to use EPA hour ratings to imply quality or life expectancy are null and void.  :P

That sure is true!  :)
Information collector.

ladylake

Quote from: SawTroll on April 18, 2010, 08:47:43 AM
Quote from: Rocky_J on April 11, 2010, 10:09:50 PM

That sure is true!  :)

That sure isn't true, biggest line of bs I've ever heard.  No common sence at all, don't you think Stihl would rate those cheap 50 hour saws at 300 if they could. I'm not saying they won't run more than 50 hours, just that after 50 hours they are half wore out and can't pass the EPA test .   Steve

sawguy21

Sorry Steve, Rocky is correct. Most manufacturers entry level saws are rated for 50 hours. Stihl does build a 300 hour version of the MS250, it's called an MS260 ;D
It's all about compliance with emission regs, a Wild Thing has the same 50 hour rating as the 250 yet they are entirely different breeds of cat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ladylake

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 18, 2010, 12:13:37 PM
Sorry Steve, Rocky is correct. Most manufacturers entry level saws are rated for 50 hours. Stihl does build a 300 hour version of the MS250, it's called an MS260 ;D
It's all about compliance with emission regs, a Wild Thing has the same 50 hour rating as the 250 yet they are entirely different breeds of cat.

We all know that Stihl has 50  , 150 and 300 hour saws . Echo just has 300 hour saws being as they are built better and last longer than Stihl 50 and 150 hour saws.  What is Rocky correct about, he's trying to say that the EPA hour ratings make no difference in the quility of the saw which is a pile of bs.    Steve

Thank You Sponsors!