The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Woods Ported Stihl 064:VIDEO  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Woods Ported Stihl 064:VIDEO
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.
That's just a well tuned ported saw, it certainly isn't a hotty . Typical of how they run if they are done correctly . 8)

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.

It's almost right on the borderline of work saw/hot saw. I use it everyday with no problems.

Lot of difference in a Hotsaw and a Work saw  ;)  maybe you meant a work saw on the edge of a good workable woods port.  What top you running 066 OEM with decomp or older one  without?

Heck I was impressed with a 064 with stock BB066 4th gen top end I ran here for fun.  No wonder those other guys think their port work improved when bolting one on, their pretty hot out of the box.  :D :D

Offline MMFaller39

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »
Yeah, I meant it's almost as far as you can possibly go with a MWS.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
[

Heck I was impressed with a 064 with stock BB066 4th gen top end I ran here for fun.  
[/quote] I ran the same saw on the same day and it impressed me too .Not one lick of work done to it ,just a direct bolt on .They done good whoever designed it .

Offline MMFaller39

• Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.

It's almost right on the borderline of work saw/hot saw. I use it everyday with no problems.

Lot of difference in a Hotsaw and a Work saw  ;)  maybe you meant a work saw on the edge of a good workable woods port.  What top you running 066 OEM with decomp or older one  without?

Heck I was impressed with a 064 with stock BB066 4th gen top end I ran here for fun.  No wonder those other guys think their port work improved when bolting one on, their pretty hot out of the box.  :D :D

How was the compression on the BB?

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 05:49:28 AM »
Well obviously the comp was high but I don't know if anyone ever put a gauge on it .I don't remember if it had a comp release on it or not either .Seems to me I had to put the thing on the ground though to get it started .

The old boy that owns it sent me a PM from another site saying he may pay me a visit in his travels .If he shows up ,I'll ask him .

Offline Cut4fun

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
I didnt check it either. Just a WAG from starting saws that size by feel.  Remember this was stock with base gasket in it from what I remember.  I would go on a limb and say 150-160psi with a WAG.  I had my 066 right there also while starting and mine had 180psi to compare to.

The 4th GEN NWP BB was nice out of the box.

Offline nmurph

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »

i didn't realize there was a BB for the 066. i just picked up a very nice 064. it sure sounds tempting to drop the $$ for a BB and play with the ports a little......98cc ported sure has a nice ring to it.

Offline MMFaller39

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.
That's just a well tuned ported saw, it certainly isn't a hotty . Typical of how they run if they are done correctly . 8)

Thanks Al, this saw was an experiment itself. I wanted to see what kind of results I could get without any sort of pop-up or cutting the squish band. All I can say is I'm happy with how it turned out.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:28 PM »
It's an educated guess as to how they turn out .You have formulas,computer software and the like but you never really know unless you do it .

For that matter I've seen some barn burners that don't have raised dome pistons .In addition some have exceeded that "magical " compression number of 180 psi static pressure and do quite well in the long run .

Rambling on,Big Dave showed me two indentical cylinders from some Husqvarna he had done years ago .One ran good the other exceptional .Switching cylinders on two saws the power followed the cylinder .He nor anyone else could explain it .The onlookers were some of the best Husky wrenchs on the north American continent and none had the answer .Some are still alive today and I'll bet they are still scatching their heads  over that one .

Offline MMFaller39

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure I would call my saw a "barn burner" but I know it moves. Also the compression on my saw is a little over 180psi.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
It perhaps can be argumenative with a bunch of theory and a ton of conjecture but I've never been convinced you  can cause a two stroke to go into detination  with too much comp .I will agree you can get them so high you can't start them though .

It may sound like a bunch of hooey and I won't mention who but I know another Ohio gent that has a 3 cuber which runs at 300 psi static .On alkey/nitro of course .It's a dedicated alkey racer though,not a woods modified port job .

Offline MMFaller39

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »
200psi is about as far as I will go on a work saw. It can get old quick having to pull it over everyday. Unlike a hotsaw where you only have to start it for a few cuts once and awhile.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woods ported 2172

Started by jonsered71 on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2017, 08:41:53 AM
by XP_Slinger
xx
New to me saw video Ported 288 XP

Started by CCC4 on Forestry and Logging

30 Replies
Last post January 01, 2014, 06:41:09 PM
by Eccentric
moved
MOVED: Woods ported 2172

Started by chet on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 09:59:24 PM
by chet
xx
Another Day in the Woods & On The farm 33 minute Video :)

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

0 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 07:39:41 AM
by weimedog