iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woods Ported Stihl 064:VIDEO

Started by MMFaller39, August 08, 2010, 02:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMFaller39

Rocky_J

I see you're in Pennsyltucky, did Dan Henry build that for you? I have a couple saws he built for me about 7-8 years ago, still running strong.

MMFaller39

Quote from: Rocky_J on August 09, 2010, 05:51:23 PM
I see you're in Pennsyltucky, did Dan Henry build that for you? I have a couple saws he built for me about 7-8 years ago, still running strong.

No, I don't even know who Dan Henry is. I built the saw myself, no milling work either.

nmurph

sorry dude, but i would MUCH prefer to hear the engine. that unintelligiable, throat-screaming, music is just racket.....and that is from someone who grew up with Led Zep, Kiss, Def Leppard, AC/DC and many others in the 60's, 70's and 80's. it did have a nice guitar riff, but the guy really needs some anger management sessions. you will understand one day......and yes, i probably would have thought the same thing that you are now thinking when i was your age.....enjoy your youth......i'm enjoying mine still.

oh yeah, the saw.....i just picked up an 064 and am in the process of cleaning it up. it has 155 psi and no cracks though someone had fabricated a handle from 3/16" tube steel. if i decide to keep it, it will get the same treatment as yours.

Al_Smith

Quote from: nmurph on August 09, 2010, 11:02:35 PM
sorry dude, but i would MUCH prefer to hear the engine. that unintelligiable, throat-screaming, music is just racket  enjoying mine still.

Well what he didn't tell you but I will is the fact his sound went out on his camera .I've seen the clip before . ;)

MMFaller39

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 09, 2010, 11:20:22 PM
Quote from: nmurph on August 09, 2010, 11:02:35 PM
sorry dude, but i would MUCH prefer to hear the engine. that unintelligiable, throat-screaming, music is just racket  enjoying mine still.

Well what he didn't tell you but I will is the fact his sound went out on his camera .I've seen the clip before . ;)

Thanks Al, yes my saws is so loud it ruined my camera, really it doesn't work at all now. :(

Ed

That there is my beef with most modded saws. The excessive volume level isn't worth the performance gain.
Hearing aids ain't all there cracked up to be, ask someone that wears them.

I ran my factory dp 046 against a modded 2186 J-red a while back....while I didn't flat out beat him, it was so close it wasn't funny. Best part was I couldn't hear my saw, the Dang J-red was so loud I had to go totally by "feel" in the cut. Yes, I had hearing protection.
End result, the J-red found a new home, I muffler modded a new 460 to match my old 046 for the former J-red owner.

Ed

Al_Smith

:D Well I suppose noise levels are relative .Those that think a gutted muffler on a souped up saw is loud should spend some time behind an old Mac or Homelite for a while .

Several things need to be kept in mind. There is no such thing as a quiet fast saw and fast saws drink fuel . Kind of hard to have them any orther way .

Rocky_J

Not all loud saws are fast, but all fast saws are loud.  8)

MMFaller39

#1: That's what earplugs are for
#2: The saw is fast
#3: The saw has got balls

Magicman

And that plunge cut indicated that it was a hollow log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MMFaller39

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2010, 12:32:01 PM
And that plunge cut indicated that it was a hollow log.

I hate to burst your bubble but it isn't. The tree was a crescent shape, and if the log was hollow you would've saw a bunch of rotten crap coming out.

Magicman

Quote from: MMFaller39 on August 08, 2010, 02:19:53 AM
Here it is, my woods ported 064/066 cutting 4' oak.

It wasn't my bubble.  Your OP stated that you were "cutting 4' oak".   It's obvious on the plunge cut that you ran out of tree, which means that it wasn't 4', as your OP indicated, where you were sawing .

Quote from: MMFaller39 on August 10, 2010, 01:05:44 PM
if the log was hollow you would've saw a bunch of rotten crap coming out.  

Not necessarily so.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative,  just commenting on the sudden movement on your plunge cut.  Had it been a solid 4' log, that movement would not have occurred.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MMFaller39

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2010, 01:39:38 PM
Quote from: MMFaller39 on August 08, 2010, 02:19:53 AM
Here it is, my woods ported 064/066 cutting 4' oak.

It wasn't my bubble.  Your OP stated that you were "cutting 4' oak".   It's obvious on the plunge cut that you ran out of tree, which means that it wasn't 4', as your OP indicated, where you were sawing .

Quote from: MMFaller39 on August 10, 2010, 01:05:44 PM
if the log was hollow you would've saw a bunch of rotten crap coming out.  

Not necessarily so.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative,  just commenting on the sudden movement on your plunge cut.  Had it been a solid 4' log, that movement would not have occurred.

It's cool man, the tree was 4' on the stump, but it was lacking wood in the back. When I made this video my intentions weren't to try and make my saw "look" faster then it is. I've taken the saw apart twice since I made the vid doing more work to it each time. I built the special just for when I cut bigger timber, the saw wasn't made at all to run a bar under 30", slap a 32"er on it and it rips like nobodies business.

Magicman

MMFaller39

My next saw will make this one look stupid, and it'll be sporting a custom 42" light bar.  8)

Magicman

Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.

Rocky_J

I have 8 ported saws ranging in size from the Husky 346xp to a Stihl MS880. I think my 395xp is my favorite but the 372's and 346's get the most use.

MMFaller39

Quote from: Magicman on August 10, 2010, 03:57:12 PM
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.

It's almost right on the borderline of work saw/hot saw. I use it everyday with no problems.

MMFaller39

Quote from: Ed on August 10, 2010, 12:26:15 AM
That there is my beef with most modded saws. The excessive volume level isn't worth the performance gain.
Hearing aids ain't all there cracked up to be, ask someone that wears them.

I ran my factory dp 046 against a modded 2186 J-red a while back....while I didn't flat out beat him, it was so close it wasn't funny. Best part was I couldn't hear my saw, the Dang J-red was so loud I had to go totally by "feel" in the cut. Yes, I had hearing protection.
End result, the J-red found a new home, I muffler modded a new 460 to match my old 046 for the former J-red owner.

Ed

My thoughts on this, whoever modded the 2186 didn't do it right. But a situation like that it al depends on who modded it and what they did to it.

Al_Smith

That's just a well tuned ported saw, it certainly isn't a hotty . Typical of how they run if they are done correctly . 8)

Cut4fun

Quote from: MMFaller39 on August 10, 2010, 06:14:42 PM
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.

It's almost right on the borderline of work saw/hot saw. I use it everyday with no problems.

Lot of difference in a Hotsaw and a Work saw  ;)  maybe you meant a work saw on the edge of a good workable woods port.  What top you running 066 OEM with decomp or older one  without?

Heck I was impressed with a 064 with stock BB066 4th gen top end I ran here for fun.  No wonder those other guys think their port work improved when bolting one on, their pretty hot out of the box.  :D :D

MMFaller39

Yeah, I meant it's almost as far as you can possibly go with a MWS.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 10, 2010, 08:19:09 PM
[

Heck I was impressed with a 064 with stock BB066 4th gen top end I ran here for fun.  
[/quote] I ran the same saw on the same day and it impressed me too .Not one lick of work done to it ,just a direct bolt on .They done good whoever designed it .

MMFaller39

Quote from: Cut4fun on August 10, 2010, 08:19:09 PM
Quote from: MMFaller39 on August 10, 2010, 06:14:42 PM
Is that used for competition or what?  Fallers here don't want to work that fast.

Lot of difference in a Hotsaw and a Work saw  ;)  maybe you meant a work saw on the edge of a good workable woods port.  What top you running 066 OEM with decomp or older one  without?

Heck I was impressed with a 064 with stock BB066 4th gen top end I ran here for fun.  No wonder those other guys think their port work improved when bolting one on, their pretty hot out of the box.  :D :D

How was the compression on the BB?

Thank You Sponsors!