iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homlite super xl starter recoil ???

Started by shinnlinger, July 21, 2011, 01:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

OK,

So im up at the family summer place and a cousin though it would be nice if I cut up a downed maple for firewood.  Gramps old homelite in the corner that was tuned up and run a few years back, so I drop in fresh gas and got her to fire a few times but sure enoough I pull the starter rope out of the pulley.   I disasemble and reasemble, but promplty do it again.

#1 how should the rope be knotted to stay in the recoil pulley?  too big and it wont fir back together.

#2 how do I assemble the pulley so It will recoil all the way?  How do I engage the spring and wind it?

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

Well to cut to the chase it's pretty much a monumental pain in the buttocks to be quite frank about it .Never the less it obviously can be done .

I can't specically address this old Homelite but in general it goes like this .Depends on where the knot goes on the pulley .If it's on the inside first cut the frayed end off the cord .Take a  match ,Bic lighter whatever and heat the end to kind of melt it .Roll it real tight with a gloved hand unless your hands are tough as leather like mine .Lace it through the hole .Then tie a simple overhand knot .Leave enough  hang out to get hold off .Grap that short end and either put it in a vise or a pair of vise grips and pull it tight as a bango string .Cut it off real short and again get the Bic out and seal the end .

Pull it back in and wind the string around the pulley .There should be a notch on the opposite side of the pulley from the spring .If so let about an inch hang out .Insert the pulley in the spring housing and wind it up .About one turn passed having enough tension to fully retract .Install the bolt that holds it in .

Take that end that was in that notch afore mentioned and lace it through the hole in the starter  housing all the while not letting go of it else you get to start all over .If you are successful install the starter handle and tie a figure 8 or barrel  knot again pulling it tight like the banjo string .Nip the end and again get out the Bic .It should be good to go .Good luck ,it might take several attempts ,take a chill pill . ;D

shinnlinger

Thanks AL,

THats exactly what my cousin and I did and the old Homlite cuts pretty good!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

The super  XL series were not bad cutters at all .It was Homelites answer to about the same size as a McCulloch 10-10 .Fact is many of both those brands and models of saws are still in use today cutting firewood and other jobs .Not bad at all considering they are over 30 years old .Little known fact to the affectionados of modern saws ,these old veterans weigh just about the same as a modern saw  .Looks are decieving .

Thank You Sponsors!