iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is most agressive chain for Stihl MS200T (T200)?

Started by Jasperfield, June 02, 2011, 07:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

Not a competition chain, but a chain that's field-filed and will cut like a banshee.

Dave Shepard

Stihl has just introduced a new square cornered, round filed chain for these saws. I am not up on the details, but Rocky_J or Al_Smith should know.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jasperfield

Golly! That is good news.

I'll just be a sponge, here, and wait on more info on the new chain or about other chains.

Thanks

Cut4fun

Al_Smith

With exception of that probabley the fastest is Stihl branded non guard Pico .What the number is I have no idea .Carlton 3/8" Lo-Pro is not bad either .

Paper Maker

I don't know what type of chain you could buy that would be more agressive; but if you file the drags down it will make a chain very agressive. I ruined a chain the other day by filing the drags down to much. I run a Husqvarna 281 and it won't hardly pull it. Thats the second time I've screwed a chain up. It also will make it kick back dangerously. All I can say is that if the drags aren't filed down to much and your saw can pull it. It will cut faster. Though its probably not recommended by a manufacture. I don't think I'll try it again. 

Jasperfield

Paper Maker,

Thanks for "a hollerin' back".

I did that last fall (filed the drags down too far on a bucking saw) and wrestled with it for half a day.

Drag height is not a problem. The problem I'm havin' is this:

My T-20's & 200-T's run way stronger than the chains can keep up with. I'll sharpen the chains 'til they'll cut you to look at 'em; But, the sharp won't last or the chain'll stretch... and dull the sharp.

I'm , now, real careful about fileing the drags, making sure they're filed evenly, and aren't cut down too much.

You're exactly right about not going too far. You'll end up with a saw you can't hang on to, or it'll cut "sideling".

I'd just as soon cut with a dull chain as one that cuts sideways.

I'm glad to hear from you and thank you for helping me. I'm not on here a lot, but haven't heard much from you. I hope you can write in more often. Seems like you know what you're talking about.

Jasperfield

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jasperfield on June 02, 2011, 07:08:01 PM
Not a competition chain, but a chain that's field-filed and will cut like a banshee.
I have both my Stihl MS200 and Husqvarna 338XPT converted over to .325 chisel. They cut like "banshees" :o
I haven't tried out Stihl's new 63 chisel LoPro chain, but its just that...... Low Pro chain. The .325 chisel has much more chip clearance and chip flow for the ultimate cutting action for these little hot rod saws. Plus with the deeper drive links the chain is very stable even when the laminated bars spread a little with normal wear.
Just keep the drags high and use a 5/32" file with file handle down 10 degrees. Anyone who wants part #s for the conversions you can PM me.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!