iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar Recommendation

Started by jtcweb, January 19, 2004, 09:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtcweb

I got a Partner P85 from my father-in-law and now have it running.  However the bar looks to me to be in bad shape.  It came a 24" bar (and a bow bar but that is a different story) and aside from being rusty the gap the chain rides in is not a consistent width.  I don't know if that is something that can be reconditioned, or if it is even worth it.  Also the edges are not flat or square in many spots, which I assume could be filed as long as there is enough depth in the slot for the chain.

I don't know much about bars and when I look at catalogs I see different lengths, gauges and other numbers that I don't know what they mean, so I am looking for a recommendation.  I have 10 acres that I need to clean up that has a lot of downed & broken off trees.  I won't be felling a lot of trees, but will be doing some.  I also have a small 14" saw that I can use for small stuff, so I plan to use this saw for bigger stuff.  I'm leaning toward a 28" bar as this should handle almost anything I have.

beenthere

Just my opinion, but if I were faced with your dilemna, I would head to a chainsaw shop. Ask if they will look at your bar, and ask if it can be jointed (special machine rigged to do that). That should square up the edges, and then the depth of the groove can be checked (could just be filled with sawdust and oil which can happen over time).

Also, I have a 20" bar and like that length. I would not be thinking of going to a longer bar than 28", and if I had trees big enough to need a 28" bar (IMO they would be 4' DBH), I would be seeking help to get them cut up (especially if I didn't have experience cutting them and it doesn't sound like, from your questions, that you do) and please, I mean no offense to you.

To keep my investment costs down, I'd seek a few ways to tune up the existing bar, attempt to get the saw running well, and if in time, the saw doesn't run well - then I would not have a lot invested in it and could more easily look for something that runs better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SasquatchMan

Some of the "box" stores sell bars with chains already matched to them (I've seen Oregon and I think Carlton products sold this way)- the only difficulty is finding one that fits your saw and the pitch of the sprocket on the saw - again, that may be matched up already in a "This chain fits such and such a saw" kind of way...

As mentioned before, a chainsaw shop will probably be able to help you make a good decision.  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Oregon_Rob

Having your bar rebuilt is also a good option. There is a company here in Portland that specializes in doing that and at a very reasonable price. I took in a 32" bar in similar condition and it cost me $11.00 to have it completely redone, nose did not need to be replaced. Ground both sides, resized and ground the chain groove and even welded in some material that had been worn away near the tip.
The place is called Chain bar repair.

http://www.chainbar.com/
Chainsaw Nerd

oldsaw-addict

Well I imagined that it would cost a LOT more than $11 to have a guide bar reconditioned and all that. I think I could use their services myself, the bar on my 670 is cutting below par and should most likely be tuned up some. But then again, I have other things that are more important right now. like fine tuning the 670 and playing with some other things and crap like that.  anyway, I'll be gatting back to whatever it was that I was doing earlier. :D :D :D :D
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Thank You Sponsors!