The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 3/8 vs .404 ... Which is better  (Read 39046 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: 3/8 vs .404 ... Which is better
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
I'm so sure were it I if I would spend the money to change it .What you have already will get-er-done .

As far as the .404 I only use on the antiques which some might find it hard to believe but those old luggers will actually cut faster with it than 3/8 " Now I'm talking chisel chain not chipper . Those over 100 cc like the 125 Macs and 2100 Homelite even pull long bars with a 8 tooth rim and full comp chain .Doesn't faze them a bit .48" hard nose bar ,chips coming out the back like a wood planer .

Offline tcrew

• chips will fly!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:46 PM »
Well I use it for bucking fire wood once in a while a tree some where on the property. But typically 5-10 cords a winter
,,,, At what ur cutting,the narrow 3/8 is the better way 2 go. The other guys said it best, no reason for that change to a heavier and wider kerf chain. I personally think the more narrow the kerf on a chain,the farther ahead u are at the end of the day on wasted wood in the form of saw dust. So if ur not dropping or bucking giants,then stick with the 3/8. And then there is the wear and tear on ur saw. So if it aint broke,why fix it? Cut safe out there :o
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Offline tcrew

• chips will fly!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Probaley now .Then Baileys were trying to get rid of stock  they didn't move much of and this was one item .Actually it was Greg Grande that brought to my attention they even had any left .I only had about a buck a foot in it and it was Carlton skip as a matter of fact .

You can find some .404 square chisel on flea bay which I suppose might be good if you were on the  left coast .The stuff wouldn't be much good for a midwest tree trimmer that owns said 084 though .Shucks I'd be the one filing the danged stuff especially if it got rocked which it would .I'd not like that task in the least bit .

Lawdy can you imagine knocking the burrs off of 42" of loop .Why it would take a whole case of beer and a dozen files .No thank you .
...... Well a case of beer and a dozen files sounds like a chainsaw party to me! Any one else still have them? get the boys together and get after it,then when done, grab them files and that case and call it a day. :)
 Another name for that,,work! But chainsaw party just sounds so much better...lol
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter