iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clutch spring replacement

Started by CWS, January 31, 2004, 12:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWS

I just replaced the clutch springs on my 357. Only one of them was bad, but I replaced all three.
I'm curious if it matters. Does everyone replace the set on their machines, or do you just replace one or two that have gone down the drain? More food for thought than anything. Bored to tears in the land of 10000 frozen solid lakes.

Scott

Ron Scott

How's the ice fishing been up there? ;)
~Ron

CWS

Not too bad Ron when a person can get out. It's been too dang cold though. By the time you get the house set up and your holes drilled, you're pooped out.
The cold dehydrates you so quick that it takes most of the fun out of it. We broke zero today, things are looking up!  ;D

Kevin

It's probably best to replace all of them unless you just lose one.
If one is bad you can bet the others aren't far behind.

oldsaw-addict

I agree with our brilliant kevin, if one spring just went the others are probably close behind the first one. but I didnt know that there was more than one spring on the clutch assy. I always thought it that all clutches were the same as far as the spring setup was concerned, one spring that made a loop holding the clutch shoes together.please post a pic of the clutch you just fixed so I know what you mean abouot there being more than one spring.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

CWS

oldsaw,

Hope this helps, it's my first shot with the xat software. I can only hope to get better.

tawilson

Unless it breaks, how do you tell when a spring is bad? I'm recently getting into some daily sawing and trying to soak up as much info as I can. I'm thinking that if the chain keeps moving when the saw is at idle, then it's a spring thing?
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

CWS

On my 357XP, the coils on the spring were visibly pulled apart. When you pull the spring off, it almost looks ok. I'll try to post pics later if I can get rid of the blur.

Scott

oldsaw-addict

Ok that pretty much clears things up for me, I now understand how one clutch set can have more than one spring on it. Thanks for the image. It's all become much clearer now.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Bobcat_pa

Two questions:
1--(not sure how old your 357 is)  Are the new 357xp clutch assembley unit built the same as the picture I see posted here ?
2--My 346xp has two C shaped clamps.   Are they very reliable, or something that will break on occasion and spares should be kept on hand ?
bob

Kevin

I think the 357 like the 257 has the two shoe clutch.
They are pretty much maintenance free if they are kept clean.

CWS

My 357 is a 2001 model. I don't think the clutch has changed. I have not had or heard of trouble with the 346 style clutches. Like Kevin said, they pretty much take care of themselves if kept clean.

Thank You Sponsors!