iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

favorite bar brand

Started by oldsaw-addict, January 28, 2004, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

I am now looking for a longer bar for the big saw and I thought that it would be wise to ask your opinions first as I dont have all that much knowledge on what brand of bar is the most well liked and/or best available. I'm not trying to start any stupid thing similar to the old ford vs chevy debate so please dont start treating it like it is that OLD debate. I just want good honest opinions before I buy a new guide bar. The size I'm thinking of is something along the lines of .375 pitch .050 gauge and 24-32 inches long with a replaceable sprocketnose. The basic question I am asking is which brand should I buy, windsor, cannon, oregon, woodsman pro, GB, carlton, or what? Thanks in advance.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Corley5

I prefer Windsors over any others.  I've used Oregons, my 372 came with one on it, but I don't like their Lubri-Jet system.  The oil hole is too small and too easily plugged as far as I'm concerned.  The Windors have a larger hole that goes straight into the bar.  Easier to clean, less likely to plug etc.  Oregon and Windsor are made by the same company.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodsjunkie

I'm with corley on the Oregon bars I personally have no luck with them. I really like Baileys woodsmampro bars but they have gotten way over priced.
I have been running GB for about 2 years now have no complaints good solid bar IMO the best bar on the market for the price.  Jeff Sikkema   sells Gb bars over the web and is a super guy at prices that wont be beat. jsikkema1@yahoo.com
Your allowed to have an excuse, you just cant use the same one twice.

oldsaw-addict

Thank you very much for your input, I'm glad I asked before I bought one that I would regret buying later. I think my choice is now narrowed down to the GB pro top and the Windsor speed tip models. I really appreciate your input and recommendations for brands to look at, I just sent Jeff Sikkema an e-mail and will see which brand is more affordable for me.

rahtreelimbs

GB, Jeff Sikkema is the man! 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

jokers

Jeff is a great guy to do business with and I also like the GB bars that I have used. I don`t have tip problems with the Oregons like some guys report, but I think the rails wear faster than those on the GB or Windsors, which are also great bars. I`ve never seen the benefit in Cannon or Woodsman Pro bars, but then my bars are short East Coast bars that don`t cost alot to replace either. If I were spending a couple of hundred bucks for a 5' or 6' bar I`d probably feel differently.

Russ

oldsaw-addict

I was just looking around on the web and I cant find very many dealers for cannon guide bars. Does anyone know where these bars are sold how much they are and how well they perform? And is Woodsman a subsidiary of Cannon? the bars for both Cannon and Woodsman look a lot alike and the information given on the Cannon website is very much like what is given for the Woodsman bars, or am I missing something here? but I did think up a solution for those of you running Oregon bars and fighting with the oil hole clogging, just take a drill bit slightly larger than the oil hole and make it a little bigger. As long as you are careful and deburr the inside of the bar rail where you just drilled it out. I know, sometimes I think too much, maybe I better just shut up for a few hours :D :D.

Typhoon

GB bars for sure... The Pro-Top is what I have.
Jeff Sikkema for sure.... snssawshop.com
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Thank You Sponsors!