iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar oil + ?

Started by jnsn, February 07, 2004, 06:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnsn

I was wonderig what , if anything , people are adding to their bar oil- especially in the cold. The Jonsered oil I have locally says it's for any temp but it seems thick to me. I have heard diesel, Mystery oil, engine oil ,cooking oil-any of them mixed until it is at its original consistency( which I forgot to memorize).I was wondering what others are doing.

SasquatchMan

I've heard of people using kerosene to thin out bar lube.  Meself just buys "Winter Bar Oil" from Canadian Tire.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

rebocardo

I ran out of bar oil and used some 5w-30 car oil. It worked well and flowed pretty well around 34 degrees. With all the additives in it, I would not go around spraying it through woods, though I think for occassional use in a urban setting it is okay.

Corley5

I've been using the Poulan Pro bar oil that I bought at Wal-Mart last fall.  It does seem pretty thick but is going through the saw fine.  We used to get winter blend bar oil around here too.  It was dyed red but I haven't seen it in awhile.  If you want to thin it a little fuel would probably work as good as anything.  I've ran about any oil you can name through a saw's oiler.  Grandpa used to strain used engine oil and that's what we'd use for bar oil.  There have been times when I ran out of bar oil but had some two cycle oil left and it worked fine.  I ran some 80-90 gear lube once too but the smell was terrible ;D.  It worked and the chain didn't heat or anything like that.  The smell of gear lube just didn't get it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Duane_Moore

:P Guys. I think the red oil your thinking of is  Chevron. bar oil. I have a couple 55gal Drums of it and it works good even in cold.  Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Minnesota_boy

I bougth winter weight bar oil this winter.  It was advertised as 10W and worked fine until it got below zero F.  then I had trouble getting it in the oil tank as it would come out of the jug as a blob that was bigger than the oil tank opening.  Sure made a mess on the saw, running down the front and bottom. Seemed to pump just fine, what I got into the tank.  :(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

J_T

Minnesota boy I like to put saw in truck cab a few minuts then get out start it if it don't oil right toss it in back and go to the house. ;D
Jim Holloway

Minnesota_boy

J_T,
I like that suggestion, but in this case home was 35 miles away and I could clear at least $300 if I could do the full day.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Frickman

Stihl sells a winter grade bar and chain oil now in a blue gallon jug. It flows pretty good, and I figure if it ever gets cold enough that it doesn't I'm heading to the house too.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

jnsn

Slightly off this topic, I was talking to someone today who adds turps when they are cutting a lot of pine. He says it keeps the machine from gumming up so bad.Just thought I would throw that in.

woodmills1

stihl winter works great as long as I remeber to put it in when cold :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

J_T

M boy I know where you comming from. 8) I think that post should of been on that other board under dreaming. I am just getting old been hit by to many trees . Use to hang with the best of um now I just hang. :(
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!