The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 056 magnum2  (Read 6571 times)

Offline joepackwood

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
056 magnum2
« on: February 07, 2004, 07:27:37 PM »
anybody know the stock horsepower of a 056 magnum 2 ?  why after 15 years they still outrun a brand new 660 ? Does anyone have advice on modifying the old beast?

Offline rahtreelimbs

• Full Member x2
  • Confirmed Chainsaw Addict!!!
    • Share Post
Re: 056 magnum2
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 08:48:19 PM »
Apples and oranges here. An 056 will not outrun an 066.........maybe the newer 660.........but not the 066. 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]† † † † † † †  Later, Rich.

Offline joepackwood

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 07:22:54 AM »
the 056 magnum 2 is faster than my 066 and my sons new 660.this is in big timber with 36" bar.

Offline oldsaw-addict

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 09:12:12 AM »
I may just have to see this to believe it, But I think the 056 was a slightly higher revving saw than the 066 and 660. I am not certain about the engine speed though so please dont take my word as the word of god, thats Kevins word that counts on these things. But then again, I have seen some saws that will outperform the fanciest and most heavily modified saws out there, Like the 090 will out do the 088 by nature simply because the 090 is a larger engine class, at 8 CID not 7.42 or so. Its just larger.  But my words are just that, they are not certified to be accurate. Just hope I am not wrong about too much, I dont have much knowledge on saws older than 10 or 15 years old.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Offline rahtreelimbs

• Full Member x2
  • Confirmed Chainsaw Addict!!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 10:00:32 AM »
The 056 Magnum that I had topped out at 12,000 RPM. The 066 Magnum ( true magnum with a 2 port muffler ) Ran real hard at 13,800 RPM. Maybe yours is faster, I know mine wasn't.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]† † † † † † †  Later, Rich.

Offline joepackwood

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 10:08:51 AM »
i purchased the 066 and the 660 new so i know they are stock saws.  the 56 magnum 2 was traded to me for some tree removal work. it was barely used by a cutter who was injured and had to retire.i'm from packwood washington so it is possible that the saw was modified by madsens saw shop in centralia.I only use it on rare occasions when i like to be reminded of the old days. or of course when some fool wants to bet me his (stock) 066 is the better saw.never raced a modified 066 so i dont know yet the answer to that one.I also make sure that i have my best grind possible on the old saws chain.when i said the saw was faster i meant it cut faster not that the chain speed was better. chain speed is meaningless without torque.

Offline smokechaser

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 10:26:47 AM »
Ok
the 56 mag II:

93.4 ccm displacement
5.7 cu in
56mm bore
38mm stroke

I believe that stihl rated the mags at 6.8 hp.  the 56 was of course the predecessor to the 064 of which became the 066, so they are very close in overall size(displacement).  the fact remains that a well tuned saw allways runs better than one that runs like junk.  A sharp chain make a big diffrence too.

joe, how long you been in Packwood?  My mother grew up in Randle.  Used to go there alot as a kid.  Grandparents lived on old randle hiway.
Dave

Offline joepackwood

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 04:47:52 PM »
ive lived in packwood 20 years til last summer when i moved to southern califrnia to work on the bark beetle killed trees. Things are really busy down here.5 years steady work at least.When the job is done i'm heading straight for packwood.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter