iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quote from a Chainsaw Safety Class

Started by Ward Barnes, April 10, 2012, 08:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

Howdy:

This quote is from a chainsaw safety class.  If I can find one in the local area I will sign up.  Ward.

"Did anyone know that the chain on a saw that is producing around 12,000-13,000 rpms is moving at 75 miles per hour? In one second 50 chain teeth will have run over your leg if you are careless".

God Bless, Ward and Mary
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Piston

I remember JimRoger's was talking to me about chainsaws one day, he put it in a similar perspective but I can't remember exactly the numbers.
He said something like "a chain saw speed runs at XXX stitches per second"  Really makes ya think!  ;)

By the way, I finally got my chainsaw chaps that were on backorder from Baileys  ;D 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Andrew Lawrence

I've heard the average saw cut requires 110 stiches, ofcoarse this is only the ones reported.
Lawrence Lot Clearing Logging                            To God be the glory

John Mc

Ward -  You mentioned you were looking for a chainsaw safety class...

The Game Of Logging (GOL) training is good. I've been through levels 1 through 4, as well as their "Storm Damage Cleanup" training. They don't seem to offer many down in your area... the closes ones I saw were 5 or 6 hours from you (western MD and central PA). The trainer doing those tends to group several levels of classes back-to-back, so you might be able to make a weekend of it.

Check out their US website: http://www.gameoflogging.com/training.php
Click on their Upcoming Events link to see a list of class locations and dates. Note: many of those listed as "Level 1", but showing multiple days are actually multiple levels on successive days.

Forest Applications Training is another training organization that covers similar topics as GOL (in fact, I believe Tim Ard, the guy who runs the organization used to be very involved in the GOL program). Don't know much about him, or the organization. I'm sure others here can chime in. They do travel around a lot, so probably have some training workshops in your area.

If nothing in your area strikes your fancy, there are always courses offered up my way in the spring and fall -- you can't beat Vermont for a scenic trip during peak fall foliage season! Here's the web site of Northeast Woodland Training, the organization that does GOL training up my way (Vermont, and much of the Northeast). All of my GOL training was through these folks. They are a top-notch outfit.

Hope this helps

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ward Barnes

Howdy John MC.

Thanks for the info.  You are right about Vermont in the fall.  Mary and I took our teachers certification class for ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING at Gardener's Supply in Burlington two years ago. 

Mary and I live within a 90 minute drive to the Stihl plant in Virginia Beach, VA and I will try and call them on Friday and see what, if anything, they might have to offer.  I'll post here what I find out. 

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

John Mc

Hi Ward -

I'm about a half hour south of where you did your training. Give a holler if you ar eever up this way again. (I lived in Virginia Square, outside of DC for a couple of years in the mid 1980's. Nice area, but too darn hot for me.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!