iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumped

Started by Draco, April 25, 2012, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draco

I posted here quite a while ago.  Since then I have firmed up my plans and still intend to go forward.  I really need some advice, as I am experienced in dropping trees and burning them for heat, but never have seen a mill in action.

I am now a member of the Log Home Builder's Association.  I have some acreage with enough large red pine (60 - 70 year old) to use for the log walls and to mill for rafters, joists, wall frames, door and window frames and whatever else I would need lumber for.  If I run short, there is enough of this pine in the area that I have been told that I could buy logs for less than $20.00 each (if they were a bit more, no problem).

I would have a need for some tongue and groove material and am considering making my own kitchen cabinets.  I am assuming that this would require a router and planer.  I am also considering building a solar kiln and will have dry storage to bring the moisture content as low as I can get it.  If that was all that I was going to do with a mill, would it be worth investing in a used mill, or should I consider paying to have it milled?  The cabin will be my retirement home, but I don't plan on sitting around in retirement.  An extra income stream would be nice in "retirement".  I believe that I would enjoy milling and would have a use for milled lumber after my build.  If it turns out that I don't enjoy milling for extra cash and projects, I could sell after the build.

If it sounds like I should invest in a mill would this main job be better suited to a band saw, or a circular type of mill (or doesn't it matter)?  If I planned to keep it for income after the build, had proper storage and planned to keep it running in top shape, should I buy new or look for a good used mill?  My rafters will be long and large.  I already plan on getting extensions if I buy a mill.  20' won't be enough.  Am I wrong in thinking that the mill would pay for itself if I milled all of the board that I would need for the cabin?  What would be the smallest mill to consider for a project like this?  Would hydraulics be required, or just desired?

I have been looking at all of the great things that they are doing with concrete these days.  I plan to make my own countertops, sinks, some floors, bathroom walls . . . with decorative concrete.  I should just have to buy my heat supply, hot water tank, plumbing, wiring, insulation, appliances, fixtures and a bunch of concrete.  That would leave money for the mill. 

A mill sounds like a good idea, but you folks know a lot better than I do.  If hiring this out would be better than dealing with the learning curve, I could just start looking for someone with a portable mill.  That would leave me wondering why I didn't just buy lumber in the first place, I think.  Sorry for the pile of questions, but I hope to have enough land cleared this summer to start dropping trees for lumber this winter.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

beenthere

Welcome back.
How much time do you have to do these things?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

R. Cornaire

Wow, sounds like you have your work cut out for ya. Whats your building expeirience? Can you grade your lumber for your headers, rafters, floor joists, ect..? What kind of equipment do you have to move and lift material? Just some of the ?'s before deciding to mill yourself.
If you have these areas covered then I think you would be well on your way to a nice used bandmill if things worked really well then sell it and get a nicer new mill. If you have some experience with equipment it probably would not take you to long to learn how to properly use the mill.Rick C

Overlength

If your already knowledgeable how to build a well built house out of wood, you should be able to pick up the sawmilling reasonably well and know wood grades,properties,etc.  Good heavy FEL,etc. moving equipment saves time. You would then have your mill with excellent working experience for your retirement business.   
  But getting someone to cut your lumber while you log and build your house, you would still have plenty to do. And you would have their experience to use.  Then get your own sawmill later.  Having someone mill your logs is still pretty cheap for what you get. You have the log cost, logging and transportation cost covered. And all the lumber handing and storage.
  But you would probably have a great satisfaction either way. Its still your timber from your place either way.
But no doubt about it,  nothing like having your own mill with time and nice logs to cut.

Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

wood monger

I'm in Michigan also, I knew a guy who had a WM bandmill. He was in southern Mi.His son cut a bunch of lumber to build a house and there was some kind of problem with building inspectors about using this lumber. I'm not sure if it was the kiln drying or graded lumber thing. I don't want to pith on your parade but it is something to check into before you invest a lot of time and money.

snowshoveler

Here in Nova Scotia...the building inspector will just walk away if your building a log home or timber frame.
They want the foundation and electric and plumbing done right but have no guidelines if its not stick framed.
I might have to start on that timber frame myself.
Might be good if you have a talk with your building inspector.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Draco

Thanks guys!

I have enough time to do this in steps.  I should be able to clear enough land this year for the building site.  It is all small mixed hardwoods (I'll use for heat) that need to be cleared for setting things up and to drop and get my good logs off of the ground.  I'm considering taking any pine that I can't use for the main structure and dropping and milling that first.  It would give it time to dry and clear more of the building site.

I'm not quite dumb enough to think that I can do everything myself and I really don't want to.  That's why I'm trying to decide if milling should be on my list of things to do.  I think that I'd rather mill than put in footers and a foundation.  I plan to do as much as I can, but I'll have to hire help.  I can pull wire, but I'll need an electrician to sign off.  Lifting equipment and tools are covered.  I'll have to learn how to grade lumber, I guess.  I have years to complete this project and can take my time to learn what I don't know.  I'll contract some things out.  I don't want to be the guy that ties the rafters together.  I want to be the guy that is supplying him with material.

Since I'd like to use all wood from the land, milling just seemed like a good idea.  After reading here, it seems to be more of an art.  I expect imperfections in my cabin, but it sounds like I could make about a cabin's worth of errors.  Maybe I need to find someone with a mill to teach me the basics.

I will start a seach on the local building codes.  Thanks for reminding me to check on that.

R. Cornaire

There seems to be a lot of years of wisdom on these forums, I'd say most of your questions could be answered right here. Not all these guys started out as sawers. When you get into a bind just ask.
Rick C

hardtailjohn

Draco, you're on the same track as my wife and I.  We just bought our circle saw mill to start getting lumber sawn for our "barndominium". We raise Clydesdale horses, and want to have the house/barn all under one roof and on one level.  With the price and quality of lumber around today, and the timber prices, it seemed a natural for us to have a mill to use, as we already have about 600 acres of timber to use.  Ours will be primarily log construction, but we'd like to flat side the logs on 2 sides, and also mill our own flooring and lumber for the stalls, etc. We've got the machinery and I've been restoring antique aircraft and building horsedrawn carriages for the past 30+ years, so am familliar with working in wood, and we've also got some great friends that cover the other basic aspects of the construction.  We're not in a hurry to get done, but we both really like the idea of it being "ours" from the ground up when we're done!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!