iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Monterey or Radiata Pine for timber framing?

Started by giles, June 27, 2012, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giles

Hi All,

I'm in Western Australia and looking to build a modest cabin based on the Sobon shed. I will be using Radiata Pine as it is pretty much all that is avail. locally. From the information I can see it is very good in compression and shear but I am having difficulty seeing many other comparisons to say Eastern White Pine or similar.
It will be treated to avoid rot and insect attack.
Can anyone give me some info or help with the other mechanical properties?

Thanks
Giles

chep

I know little about timber framing, but Monteray and Radiata pine are the same thing. Monteray pine in latin is Pinus radiata

Native to California grown globally for timber. I hope that helps your question develope further.

giles

Thanks Chep,

I get that they are the same thing. Just having trouble with stress values and loadings for the timber as it is not widely referred to in US literature. I have found some info to suggest it is OK to use and the sizes for Sobons shed are probably fine but wanted some other opinions.

Thanks

chep

Gotcha, ha, I thought you wanted to know which was better.  make sure you get your local standards. Since it can be grown all over the world, and grows really fast in some spots.  growth rates will differ, and strength values could differ. Just a thought. Not sure if thats true or not...
good luck.

Jim_Rogers

I can't find Monterey pine or Radiata pine in the NDS book of values.

So I can't compare it, right now.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

giles

Thanks Jim,

Any help you can give would be great. I have found some literature that ranks it close to Ponderosa Pine but a little stronger in bending and shear.

Thanks and I look forward to any info you can find.

Cheers

giles

Ianab

http://www.nzwood.co.nz/species/radiata-pine

On that page (1/2 way down) there is a tab "Performance". This has average physical properties for Radiata. You should be able to look up the same numbers for other species and compare them.

Modulus of elasticity
8.23 GPa   
Bending strength
85.8 MPa
Compression strength parallel to the grain
36.8  MPa
Side hardness (refers to indentation)
3.64 kN
Shear strength parallel to the grain
11.6 MPa
End hardness
4.76 kN

Hope that helps some.
Here in NZ 90% of the wood used for for anything is is Radiata, so it can be used for pretty much anything, as long as you engineer the design properly.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Meadows Miller

Gday Giles

Sorry I missed this one i had alot of other stuff going on at the time Montery or Rdiata is fine but you want tight graned slow grown 30 to 45yo boxed heart for either or you go the other way free of heart out of large  clean logs  ;) the pine you should be able to get hold of out west will be similar to the stuff grown in the dryer northern areas of victoria so you should be fine with the growth rates  ;) ;D  I have worked with both of those species along with douglas fir ,spruce,redwood all plantation grown in log building and timber framing for near on 20 years myself and Dad has for over 28years  without any dramas but we have always selected or harvested our own logs ;)

The sobon sheds a prety good start for anyone wanting to teach themselves framing for a larger project hows things progressing  ???

Heres a link to dads website www.heartlandlogstructures.com.au gives you an idea of what you can do do not hesitate to send me a pm if you have any questions and i can also give you the contact details of the engineer we have used for the last 28 years he is the best in timber construction in Australia  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

barbender

Man, Chris! That is some fine work your Dad does  :o Are some of those structures handscribed, and others machined?
Too many irons in the fire

Meadows Miller

Gday Barbender

Yeah some of the pics are from the first log building business we had Timberline Log Homes  i was partners in that with them from 95/96 the first pic in the front page is a place dad built in 92 its out of Ponderosa Pine thers one of the Machined places on there and the Ironbark Post and beam Frame pincnic pravillion on there to we where in hand scribed log building up untill 2000 and we had a break from it We got the woolandia log building line 4 years ago as it brings the cost to the customer down to under or what it would cost them for a conventional home I love doing the logwork and the Framing but hate fiting out Mate  :)  ;) ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

giles

Thanks Chris,

I will be milling my own timber using a Peterson mill and will select the timber to suit.
Nice looking work there!
Cheers

Giles

Meadows Miller

No Worries and Thanks Giles get some pics of what your upto and keep us posted Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Thank You Sponsors!