iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you guys explain the 25 Deg & 30 Deg sharpening angles.

Started by JOE.G, August 04, 2012, 09:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

I read about the different sharpening angles, mostly 25 and 30 Deg sharpening angles is this only determined by the chain type slash manufacturer? or do you guys change it for different conditions?  How do the different angles affect the way the saw cuts? I know most of my Guides are marked for 30 Deg Angles. Thanks
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

1270d

I do not know about the different chain manufactures having different angles, but I like to alter the angles depending on conditions. 

Usually i stick with 30 deg for normal conditions harwood, but go back towards 25 a bit when the wood is frozen.  Seemed to hold an edge a bit longer, while not being as sharp initially. 

On the other side, with aspen you can go a little higher than 30.  The edge wasn't very durable but some smokin chains could be cooked up.  Also when running around 35 deg the chain liked to pul side to side much easier.

Maybe this will help muddy the water a bit?

John Mc

I've used chains where the manufacturer recommended either 25 or 30˚ angles. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference between them.  The idea behind larger angles is that it makes a sharper, more aggressive "point" on the corner of the chain. The downside is that the point does not hold up as well.  It's kind of like the difference between a semi-chisel and a chisel chain (though a 25 vs 30˚ angle is not as dramatic a difference as semi vs chisel chain).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JOE.G

I run Husky, Oregon and Stihl (most chains are Stihl ) been doing 30 Deg on them all. How important is the upward angle, i see most call for 10 Deg.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Nick Walkley

Quote from: JOE.G on August 05, 2012, 01:37:39 PM
I run Husky, Oregon and Stihl (most chains are Stihl ) been doing 30 Deg on them all. How important is the upward angle, i see most call for 10 Deg.

Joe.G

The Upward angle effects the hook of the tooth. If you look across your chain from the side the bigger the angle the bigger the hook. It also has some effect on the cross section of your cutting edge. As the angle gets steeper the cross section gets thicker. A thicker cross section will hold an edge for longer but cut slower but a bigger hook will cause the chain to be more agressive.
The main thing to worry about with your 10 degree angle is that each side of the chain is the same or your saw will cut around corners. This happens because one side of the chain will cut more agressive than the other. Often you won't notice until either the chain starts to get down a bit or as the edge dulls off.

Nick

HolmenTree

The sawchain companies sure have changed their specs over the years. ;)
Stihl used to spec 7/32 file for their 3/8 RS chain but after years of complaints of the chain harder to file versus Oregon's ,now the smaller diameter 13/64" file is the answer.

Oregon used to spec 30 degree top plate on their 3/8 70 series lpx and lgx, now 25 because they are now putting more sideplate angle [hook] in.

The 10 degree angle by dropping the file handle has been around alot longer then my memory of 38 yrs goes.
The 10 degree was a spec incorporated to help prevent problems in frozen or dry wood .
Stihl doesn't bother with the 10 degree spec anymore and just spec 90 or 0 flat across.
Oregon still uses the 10 on most of their chain.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

tyb525

My rip chain filed at about 10 deg cuts faster than any other regular chain I have, but it definitely requires more power from the saw (crosscutting)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!