iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JONSERED 2152 LEAKING FUEL

Started by DaveP, August 24, 2012, 06:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveP

When I fill the saw with gas it leaks out onto the bench.  Put the cap back on and it stops.  Can't see where it is coming from but ran it five minutes today and was out of gas.  Any idea were I should start looking?  Thanks   
    davep

Clam77

Sounds like a cracked fuel tank..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

hamish

If it only leaks fuel when the saw is clutch side down you'd be missing your tank vent.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

justincase

Same thing happened to my 2152  it was tank vent.

shelbycharger400

the tank vent is nothin more than a tube routed to the other side and poked through a hole . so in a case it is tipped just so, it will leak out and not coat a hot motor in fuel.

DaveP

JUSTINCASE,

What did you do to replace the tank vent on your saw?  Dealer called someone who said the vent probably fell into the tank.  Wrap it with teflon tape and put back.  If I can't find the vent I can get a new tank and I can't find the vent.

Al_Smith

You'd have about as good of luck walking on water is to diganose the situtaion like this over the internet .

However forging ahead several things could have happened .The fuel line can get a tiny crack in it allowing the fuel to siphon out .It could be loose around the entry to the tank .Might have a cracked tank and of course it could be dribbling out of the tank vent or where the line attachs to the carb or the carb fitting itself  .

What ever it is you're just going to play like Sherlock Holmes and start an investigation .

DaveP

It is the tank vent that is leaking.  After taking the saw apart I can watch it leak out when the cap is off.  Jonsered doesn't sell tank vents.  They only come in a new tank according to the local dealer.

Davep

Al_Smith

That doesn't sound quite right .I couldn't find an IPL on that model but a scan of the net lists several who have had problems .On those models they just punched the old vent out by going through the fuel cap side and installed another. One gent mentioned using a Husqvarna 346 vent .

Now I can't verify that as fact because I've never worked on one .Just sounds like fish story of replacing the whole tank for a 5 dollar vent .Hang in there because somebody that knows that saw model might come along with better info .

Clam77

Here's the IPLs for the 2152 and 346 respectively..

http://www.jonsered.ws/2152.pdf

http://www.jonsered.ws/346xp.pdf

Except for the fuel cap itself, it looks like all the fuel tank part numbers are the same and interchangable between the two.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!