iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jonsered 2172

Started by acl2, October 27, 2012, 04:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acl2

Is anyone else having trouble with the the new 72s, we have 2, one less than a year old and one nearly a year old. One has been back to the shop for a new carb, that was on back order, and just yesterday 6 trees away from finishing the job the newest one made a loud bang and lost compression. They just had to go and change a great thing with the 71s huh   

lumberjack48

I ran Jonsereds in the 70's , 621, 751, 80's and the 90, all very good saws, they ran & ran, worked-em everyday for yrs, i can't remember any issues, broken mounts, but that was the operators fault.

Do you guys think most or all  of this carb and premature saw failier is because of the gas.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

shelbycharger400

I know my 630, even tho its a 1980's saw,  LOVes the 91 octane non ethanol.

I have been told, all my saws are in the early 80s for the most part,  the dealer said, run them till they puke! the new saws are NOT built the same as the old ones.  They do gripe when I have to order a 15-20 dollar part. But hey.. a sprocket or a carb kit and its good for another year or 2 and a few doz chords. Thats all I need.

A month or so ago, I was eyeballin a 2172 at the dealer, I said I dont have the cash now but just for giggles how long it take to get the 2188 in.   It was a monday, He said with a smile I could have it by friday!

weimedog

I have one, so far its been a nice saw. I did have to radically change the mixture to make it run well. It was really lean from the factory. Seems to run well now.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

martyinmi

An old fellow that works for me bought one last winter(they are 70+cc's,right?) We cut together right after  he bought it and I was impressed. It out cut my 310 fairly easily. I muffler modded mine a month or so later, and when we cut together again, he couldn't run away from me. This fall we cut together again and his ran well for about one tank of fuel and then seemed to lose some power, so much in fact that I put the 310 back in the truck and got my dad's old 610 out and easily kept up to him in a 15 inch Ash. I advised him to either adjust the carb or take it back to the dealer. He chose the latter, as he didn't want to fiddle with it while it was under warranty, and he still hasn't picked it up.

I really was impressed with it the first time we cut. They seem to run a LOT of RPM's and have a very unique sound.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

acl2

We always run 87 octane in our saws mixed 50:1, hasnt been a problem for years now. And as far as the tuning goes there is very little adjustment of the air screws, our dealer always "tunes" them when we buy them. They just dont seem to run quite like the 2171's would, or last, im back to cutting with the spare 71.

trailman

i have a j2159 that runs terible. throttle hesitation and staling. the dealer got it going again for me but went right back to runing poor. my old husky saw runs on same fuel with no trouble at all.b

thecfarm

Lumberjack,I should not say anything,but I ran the best stuff,91 or 93 octane, that I can buy at a local gas station,all the added stuff that is put into it too. I have a wood splitter,2 saws,2-3 cheapy lawnmowers,a trimmer and a tiller. I do not add anything to my fuel,except for oil mix, and have no problems at all. YET.  ;D Most of my stuff is pushing 10 years old.Trimmer is 20-25 years old,one saw is only 2 years old,lawn mowers,no idea. They was given to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jocco

put on a new carb and check the ignition they do fail.

Quote from: trailman on November 13, 2012, 10:50:16 AM
i have a j2159 that runs terible. throttle hesitation and staling. the dealer got it going again for me but went right back to runing poor. my old husky saw runs on same fuel with no trouble at all.b
You may check out but you will never leave

shelbycharger400

The jonsereds seem to me very touchy on carb settings.
I re-tuned mine the other day, a fraction of an inch and it runs good, or dies.
I have a 2050 turbo and a 630 in the fleet.
the 630, is something around 1 and 1/4 turn from bottom on the low, and 1/2  to 3/4 out from bottom on the High.   If its a full turn it bogs BAD!
its not modded,  145psi cylinder pressure, has the factory 9/16 bore carb. I rebuilt the carb last year.   I did have it dialed in for 91 octane, but all I have right now is crappy 87. It was 50 deg, then later as it began to get dark, it got colder and I had to adjust it again.     Colder weather richens the mix all by it self.

This time of the year I dont like having mixed fuel layin around.
ALL gas has a maximum shelf life of 3 months or less

bill m

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on November 17, 2012, 10:10:22 AM
This time of the year I dont like having mixed fuel layin around.
ALL gas has a maximum shelf life of 3 months or less
3 months? I mix up 10 gallons at a time and it only lasts about 8 to 10 days.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

ga jones

I have 2 one about a year old and one over a year. They run great just dont idle right. Ive backed of the low speed setting and the older one idles all day long (as long as you dont tip it) then it loads up sometimes it stalls sometimes i can catch it. The newer is at the dealer now for the same problem.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

acl2

Got the saws back a few weeks ago, one had a bad fuel line, rubbed threw after the carb change, and the other one had a crank bearing go and send a piece up past the piston. 

lumberjack48

To me this is premature failure, i used Jonsereds  many yrs, don't remember ever having fuel line issues, or any little things going wrong. These saws were worked hard everyday, i liked the 621 the best. I'd have to though a new condenser an points in once in awhile.
It doesn't seem like there putting the same workman's ship in the newer saws
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

Just my opinion, but I don't think anything is built as well as they used to be. Manufacturers are always looking at cheapest way to manufacture goods, which often results in an inferior end product. The one anomaly to this observation is the 372 XPW I bought new in late '05, but then again a lot has changed in the last 6 years. A lot of things being manufactured in china, and only "assembled" in the states. I have seen it in aircraft parts production as well. Lots of defects and failures of stufff that is being sourced in china, unless you have a manufacturing engineer closely monitoring the process for quality, things quickly degrade to junk in favor of cutting costs of manufacturing.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

acl2

Two of our last five or six saws had the crank bearings go, its getting very frustrating. We have been considering trying a new brand of saw even. On the bright side the dealer and company usually stand behind their product and will fix them under warranty. 

mad murdock

Unless the bearings are a special design by jonsered(which I doubt), you can source alternate bearings from a major bearing supply house, and get a better bearing to use if you are going to rebuild. If you can't find the bearing mfg number, you can match alternate numbers by sizing the bearing and going off that plus physical properties. We do that a lot in my field of expertise. It is amazing once you do a little research. A lot of junk bearings coming out of china.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!