iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walk about my property

Started by CCC4, December 25, 2012, 05:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

:christmas:

Here is just a few pics of my place. I bought 52 acres about 10 years ago, located in N. Arkansas. My Son and I were out walking around looking for a deer to shoot at and snapped these pics. Nothing great.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=31004

ScottAR

Bit hillier than here.  Looks like good hunting ground... Approximately where is it? 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

CCC4

Near Calico Rock. My property is pretty tame, we are logging by the State prison now, I will take some pictures there...it's real steep. Thanks for your reply!

sandhills

That's some pretty country you got!  Find any deer? (not that it would matter in those surroundings)

CCC4

Thanks sandhills! Those pics of the small hardwood thickets are going to be beautiful one day! When I bought the property I started burning and slashing those thickets. Those oaks are around 25ft average and just straight as an arrow. There is approximately 17 solid acres of it in the one picture. Give it another 20 or 30 years and that will be one heck of a stand of hardwood.

As far as the deer...the wind was terrible and nothing was moving. Went back out around 3 and had one go by me with a fire lit in it's tail!...silly beagles! Thanks for your reply!

semologger

looks good is the pine post mill still in calico rock? may be able to thin out some of the pine thicket.

CCC4

semologger- Yes, Sentinnel is still here and at Heber Springs. The last time I thinned that pine was due to the ice storm several years ago. I am going to thin again this spring. There are 4 sections of pine like that, there was more but one real young growth area was flattened by the ice. Thanks for your reply!

Weekend_Sawyer

Tell us about that axe head your son is holding.
Did you find it on the property?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

g_man

Thanks for the pictures. I can see you will get some nice oak in the future. I like seeing what other parts of the country look like.

CCC4

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 26, 2012, 06:34:19 AM

Tell us about that axe head your son is holding.
Did you find it on the property?

Jon

Yes Sir. I race dirt bikes in cross country events called "hare scrambles". My property is laced with a training loop that I can stretch a good 7 miles. I was building trail and walked right up on that jewel (tie axe)! I couldn't believe it! It was sitting in the position that it was forgotten in. I am always picking up cool stuff when hunting or logging , plus I do quite a bit of exploring caves and bluff shelters. So when I found that hewing axe.... ;D!

So I researched it out and as close an estimate as I can get it is pre-1900's. There was an old man who had a blacksmith shop just down the road about a 1/2 mile. He hand hewned ties. Well he died in 1902 at 95 year old, so there is where I am at with it. I know his Grandson (he is 80+) and have shown him the axe, that's where I got my info. It is very neat, obviously hand forged, I have thought about showing it to an ol'timey blacksmith historian. It is impossible to figure exact date...but you should see people's face light up when they turn the axe over and see the folding job. Thanks for asking!

CCC4

Thanks g_man! The pictures kinda take away just how nice it is. My son is 10, I hope he keeps the place....that will be an awesome wood lot by the time I am finished!

CCC4

I just dug this up. It's me on my trails, totally different way to view someones land. Hope you enjoy!

http://contour.com/videos/watch/dolph-trails--3

lumberjack48

I'm not riding with you again, to scary for me  :o

Nice old Broad Axe,    :new_year:
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ron Scott

I use to do competitive riding like that back in the early 1970's, 100 mile events, and still remember the time that a log caught my left knee and took me right off the bike. :embarassed:

Back in 1964, I found a broad axe like that stuck in an old stump while I was cruising timber in a heavy swamp area known as Sophie's Swamp in the eastern U.P. of Michigan. Always wondered how it got there in such a heavy conifer swamp area. I still have the axe with handle hanging on my basement wall.

I also found another one while SCUBA diving on a Lake Superior shipwreck in the early 1960's. Donated that one to a museum.
~Ron

CCC4

lumberjack48,  :D yes Sir, alot comes at you quick in cross country!  :new_year:

Ron Scott, You guys had it rough! Suspension, ergonomics, and over motor performance has come along way! I race a Ironman event every year, 9 hrs. This past February I put down 132 miles finishing on the podium for 3rd....I could not  even imagine racing an Enduro like you did with a twin spring! That's as tough as it gets! What brand and model bike did you race?  :new_year:

Ron Scott

I ran a 250 and a 350 Kawasaki, 1968-1974. I helped develop a lot of the trail system in northern Lower Michigan with the Cycle Conservation Club (CCC) of Michigan.There is a 750 mile trail route that circles through northern Lower Michigan. There was one event that rode the entire route over 7 days. Often finished with the bike held together with bailing wire and duct tape. :laugh:

The National Jack Pine enduro was also held annually on the Huron National Forest.
~Ron

lumberjack48

I never rode bike, i ran snowmobile in the late 60's and though the 70's on trails just wide enough for the sled in places. From 10 to 100 mph, it was a miracle that i didn't break my neck back then. Or drowned running over open water.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

CCC4

Ron Scott- That is awesome! I would love to shag down a riding area with 750 possible miles! So, I'm thinking that your holding back on the fact you might have left from the "A" spot in your line up?   ;) The Kawi, was maybe 4t?

lumberjack48- I haven't ever ridden a snow mobile...too far south. Those things have come a long way over the years, huh! Polaris has that new half bike half sled, it looks awesome! Prolly trying to keep up with the bike/snow track conversions becoming so rapidly popular.

Thank You Sponsors!