iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boundry water volunteer

Started by proteus, February 05, 2013, 12:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

Just curious to see if any members of FF have ever volunteered to help clear portage trails in the boundry water area of Minnesota. It was always something I wanted to do, but  :'( :'(
I never made the time to do it.
Greg

beenthere

I remember having to clear trails in the Boundary Waters.....   ::) ::)
The trail was marked on map going West from Lower Basswood Falls. But apparently had not been used possibly since it was made in the 30's. Our guide for us Scouts finally decided to give it up after pushing through for half of the 3 mile hike. Too many deadfalls, too little sign of where the trail really was at, and daylight running out. Camped another night at the Lower Basswood Falls.
But have never been back to the area. 
Hope you make it happen for you.

What is the procedure for signing up, and who runs the volunteer program?

Apparently USFS to sign up.
http://canoecountry.com/jobs/volunteer.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

proteus

Beenthere-

Yes it is through the USFS. There is a office in Ely where one could get all the information. Basswood, that is a huge lake! We have been going up to Birch Lake (Kiwishiwi River) in the spring and fall since my wife and I were in our 20's. We love the area. If we went into the boundry waters, we would set up camp on Bald Eagle Lake or Gabro Lake.
Greg

Thank You Sponsors!