iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 009 not delivering oil to bar

Started by CanisiusHistGrad, September 16, 2013, 11:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanisiusHistGrad

First time poster, looking for any guidance on a Stihl 009L with an oil delivery problem. Bought the saw used, and in the inspection I noted that it wasn't pumping any bar oil.

I've replaced the oil pump (was missing a spring and diaphragm had a hole in it) with a NIB assembly from Stihl. I've replaced the line from the pump to the hole in the case and made sure it had the brass cup that limits the oil flow rate as well. I've made sure the oil tank vent is clear (leaks a small bit of oil when I turn the saw on it's side). I've run the saw without the bar and chain or the clutch cover so I can observe the oil port. I even took apart the oil pump to make sure all was well and clean. Checked the impulse passage from the crankcase to the port in the pump and it's clear and moves a small amount of WD40. I've consulted the Stihl service manual for the 1120 series saws (covers 009, 010, 011 and 012) and followed their troubleshooting. 

The saw runs like a champ, but nothing I've tried gets oil to the oil port. I have a buddy with another 009L and I'm almost ready to pull the pump and try it in his saw. Is there anything I've overlooked before I pull my hair out?   ???

isawlogs

Probably an air lock.
I've primed pumps with air into the tank a few times.... I put about half tank of oil, and then take nosel of air gun with a rag and blow air till oil comes out of pump....

you could also  make sure you have oil to the pump by removing pump and letting oil flow from the tank and replacing pump  as the oil flows, take the air lock to a minimum.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CanisiusHistGrad

Is there any significant chance of over-pressurizing something and damaging something? Of course, when I try this it'll be low pressure and a loose rag only in place to keep oil from going all over?

isawlogs

I have never gave it a thought... :-X I put the nosel in the tank with a rag to block the hole, never thought I could really pressurise it with the rag as a barrier... Then again I was squeezing the trigger on and off doing more looking then pressurring.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

joe_indi

Check this diagram to see if anything is out of place, especially the ball which I have marked with a red pointer

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!