iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many CCs in Homelite XL?

Started by Hillbilly Rick, January 01, 2014, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbilly Rick

I have a Homelite XL that was given to me in '05. It was about 20 years old or so at that time. The friend that gave it to me bought it new, used it one weekend and never used it again due to disabilities (not from or to the saw).
It has an 18" bar, which I feel is it's max, no chain brake, but is an auto oiler. It's an excellent limb saw up to about 4"-6" diameter, after that I get the bigger saws out. The saw wouldn't start at first, I had the carb rebuilt, and it runs like a champ.
Anyway, I was wonderin' if anyone out there could tell me what size this engine is?
The model # is 10656A
  I think I'll go to a 14" bar, it should help since I don't cut bigger stuff with it anyway.
            Any help is greatly appreciated,
                   Rick
Socially unacceptable, Politically incorrect
Stihl MS 460 magnum with big bore kit, ported
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Older than many on this site, Homelite XL
Ford F-350 7.3 diesel crew cab, flatbed, dually 4x4
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

Jim H

I had one of those many years ago. I believe they were 1.8 cu in which is about 30cc. Mine came with a 14" bar, I also had a super2. It was 2 cu in and came with a 16" bar. For a cheap saw they lasted pretty good.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

drumbum

I think the smallest in that series  was 26cc.

chet

I climbed many a tree with a Super 2 hanging on my side. Pretty tuff saw for such a cheapy, always picked up used and never for more than $10.  ;D  I referred ta them as my through away saws. Whenever one would give up da ghost, another one would fall in my lap.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Al_Smith

They were Homelites answer to a Mini Mac and some model of Skil of about the same displacement which was sold under various brand names and in every color of the rainbow .

I've got one of the double triggered models in the shed ,freebie .Seems to me it's 1.8-1.9 cubic inch.They sold new for under 100 dollars.

I'd well imagine most of them died on a shelf full of stale gasoline with the original chains on them .

JohnG28

I have one I picked up from CL a few years back. Haven't really even run it but I have many memories of my grandfather, dad and uncles running a pair of them at our camp years ago. Couldn't pass up having one of my own just for nostalgia. Seem to remember them not running more than running.  ??? Think that little XL may have been the start of my chainsaw affliction.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sawguy21

I had an XL with a 14" which was a good camping saw until somebody decided they needed it worse than I did. I serviced so many of those things I could do it in my sleep. ;D A bit time consuming to get out of the case but overall not bad to work on. Now have a Super 2, 1.9ci which I have yet to get running.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hillbilly Rick

Sawguy, I hate it when that happens, karma from stealing a chainsaw could be real bad :laugh: If I'm cuttin' wood that's already down (tops and blow downs) this is the first saw I use. Often I gotta cut a lot of crap outta the way.
Thanks guys for the replies, this has been a great little saw.
       Rick

J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

turnkey

I got a freebie xl2 from a friend.  He got it at a garage sale for $10.  I sharped the chain for him and gave him a quick chainsaw lesson years ago.  This year I needed a top handle to dosome tree pruning around the house and he gae it to me non-running.  I decided not to fool with it and bought a Stihl 192t...actually I bought two. The second one after I ran over the first one with the truck :(.  Dealer wouldn't even give me a "volume discount".

Harry K

CTYank

Which "XL"? Someone counted once how many models Homelite called "XL"-somethng or other. Many, many models, once Homelite had a winner in the XL-12.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

petefrom bearswamp

Right CT,
My super xl12 was bought new in 1973.
had it at my camp for the last 10 yrs or so so it didn't get much use.
Ethanol gas and all it starts in 5 or 6 pulls.
I,m going to put it on ebay  soon.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Hillbilly Rick

Which XL? not really sure, all I have is the model #10656A.

J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

mad murdock

Look on mike acres website and see if you can match up what you have to his data. I have a superXL that has a 58cc engine. A lot of the XL's that I have seen are 58 or around there, but Homelite had a lot of different models with the XL on them. XL2's were about like a mini Mac. Super XL and super XLAO were the bigger ones (58cc). 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John R

I have a Homelite XL, I keep it around for a lending out saw. It runs and cuts good.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

beenthere

I'd NEVER lend out a saw. Let alone a running Homelite XL   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John R

Quote from: beenthere on January 10, 2014, 05:40:35 PM
I'd NEVER lend out a saw. Let alone a running Homelite XL    ;)

Why?

If something happens to it, I'm not out much.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar

beenthere

I can only answer why I wouldn't do it. ;) 

I kept our company saw sharp and in running condition with multiple users for several years, and it never came back in usable condition. Each seemed to have their own idea how the carb should be adjusted, no regard for dulling the chain by hitting dirt, or when to put a sharp chain on the bar, nor how to adjust the chain for correct tightness. Throw a chain or have to put a sharp one on, then it is on backwards and the complaint that the sharp chain won't cut.
Ad infinitum the different scenarios that had to be tackled each time.

But a non-owner usually just doesn't know what can happen so treats the saw like a rental.

Now if you loan out your saw, that is ok with me.  :)  I wouldn't recommend it for anyone tho. I'd encourage them to get their own saw and learn how to take care of it.

But if me, I'd covet a good running Homelite XL if I had one.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

If someone puts a chain on backwards AND than trys to cut with it AND than don't know why it's not cutting.  ::) Than they should not even be using a chainsaw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

thecfarm
I agree but with the company saw, it was there to use for anyone wanting to use it.
Can't tell the boss that he can't have it when ya know full well he is letting his 14 yr old son use it over at his buddy's house cutting up a yard tree. ;)

The other side of the coin is how the borrower will feel if the saw stops running and it is then more expensive to fix than to replace with new. Makes for ill feelings between friends sometimes.

Or if he/she takes a patch of skin off because they didn't use the saw safely (again due to lack of knowledge).
Is there liability there? If the user is incapacitated, they might not have any recourse other than to sue.

Lots of reasons, most will not happen but could.
south central Wisconsin

John R

Quote from: beenthere on January 10, 2014, 07:32:45 PM
thecfarm
I agree but with the company saw, it was there to use for anyone wanting to use it.
Can't tell the boss that he can't have it when ya know full well he is letting his 14 yr old son use it over at his buddy's house cutting up a yard tree. ;)

The other side of the coin is how the borrower will feel if the saw stops running and it is then more expensive to fix than to replace with new. Makes for ill feelings between friends sometimes.

Or if he/she takes a patch of skin off because they didn't use the saw safely (again due to lack of knowledge).
Is there liability there? If the user is incapacitated, they might not have any recourse other than to sue. Lots of reasons, most will not happen but could.

That is what is wrong in this country today, no one wants to except responsibly for their own actions.
It's easier to blame someone else.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar

HolmenTree

Many XL models introduced since 1964, from 26cc to 82cc. Probably the most saws ever sold around the world.
If I remember correct the 1964 XL-12 consumer saw set the industry on its ear, 50 plus c.c. and 12.5 lbs.
Textron sold Homelite out to John Deere in 1994.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Hillbilly Rick

It's not a super XL.
I never loan a chainsaw unless I go with it. My Wife was asked by a neighbor, if he could borrow one, she called me, and I told her that he had three saws that weren't running. Why would I trust him with mine?
J'red 2145
Homelite XL
Arctic Cat 500 4x4

Kevin jones046

Im very selective when it comes to lending out a saw. I've got my 046 mag 32in bar .404 chain Noone runs but me, But I just let my best friend borrow my super xl12 to finish his 11 cord firewood order. His saws were in the shop for routine maintenance. I've Cut trees with this man many times, so I know how he treats his stuff. But I get why you shouldn't lend out saws to people that have no buisness touching one 😆 🤣 😂 hence "the chain on backwards" comment that I noticed. 😆 🤣 😂

mooleycow

house of homelite forum and youtube Leons chainsaw parts & repair.  I hope this helps you understand more about Homelite chainsaws.  Enjoy and stay happy.

Al_Smith

In those old days there were two brands always trying to out do each other .Homelite and McCulloch .It was a Ford /Chevy -John Deere 
Farmall thing .
I forgot the name of the "house of Homelite " forum was but if I recall he was a tool and die maker by trade .As for the brand  I only have a couple but they are the smallest plus the largest and a few in between .At one time xl-12's were like road apples,every where and McCulloch 10-10's where on the other side of the road .Most of them by now have sat on the shelf the last 20 years .

Thank You Sponsors!