iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Hobby" saw

Started by Phil, February 07, 2002, 08:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Mine's due for its annual, sounds like its off to the saw shop for a look see ;),  gotta spray for termites and evacuate the job tommorrow anyway. I carried out a 4x8x12' in buckets today  >:(.  Ha got to use it :D

L. Wakefield

Tom said so far back on p1 of this thread something about his saw starts when it's cold. Somehow I think his cold isn't quite the same as my cold. Watcha think, Woodmills? Did you hit the negative digits last night? I got up at 10:30pm to head to work- 11PM as I headed out the door it was -2. Mike didn't check til 7am and he said it was already above 0 then. Nice this afternoon tho- 32 or above. South wind. Saw didn't start but then I didn't pull on it, so that makes us even.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

Like to have froze my bohunkus off this morning, LW.  It was in the 40;s.  Got into the 50's this afternoon, I almost came out of my jacket.  I pulled on my chainsaw cord and it cranked though.........even in that frigid air. :D

CHARLIE

LW, temperature is all relative. I mean....from a Minnehaha point of view, minus 2 ain't nothing. That's shirtsleeve weather  ;)   Now this year is an exception and I only saw it hit minus 20 a couple of times. Usually during a winter we'll have about 10 straight days where the temps are in the minus range anywhere from minus 36 to minus 10.  :(  Two weeks of that stuff without a break can really put a strain on a person. I'd like to see Tom's chainsaw start on the second pull during one of those streaks. Now, I'm a Florida boy that moved up to this Frozen Tundra back in '72 and I've never understood when the weatherman says; "The temperature will warm up today to a minus 10 degrees"  ::)   Now, being from Florida, I have a hard time equating the word warm with below zero temps. :o  But these Scandahoovians up here somehow figure it's warmer. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodmills1

LW the low here was 8 above, but it was the coldest of the year so far and it felt worse due to the wind.  i don't understand why we haven't had the week we always get with a high of 10 during the day and below zero every night.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

Bitter, horrible, nasty north wind on Wednesday night. -9.8* Thursday morning. But a south wind Thursday night- got home, went out and fed the cows, and sat marveling at the stars and the wonderful air. It's above freezing right at this moment. I will go out and feed soon. The hens were all on their roosts fluffed up into feather balls til you couldn't even see their feet. :)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

And I thought I had it bad with temperatures!  Im complaining if there is a frost on the ground in the mornings!!  I have to drive for 5 hours, in the height of winter if I want to see snow!!
Winter where Im at is 7-14*C for the days, and maybe a frost or two a year!  Lots different in the South Island though, lots of snow and bursting water pipes etc.  Temperate is the word I guess.  Like my post of a while back, I dont know how you mill in the snow and cold!!  Makes me cold thinking about it.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

woodmills1

cutting in the cold. >:(  stopped using water to clean blades as it will freeze in the lines if ya forget to blow them out.  must remember to pick up the feet as they freeze to the ground.  wipe off as much sawdust as possible, it will freeze solid.  can't leave any lumber in a dead stack, it will freeze together.  protect your face, combination wind and sawdust burn makes ya look like a rummy.  lift the log loader off the ground or the velocity fuses break on first lift.  tractor sounds ugly and hydraulics are real slow untill warmed.  don't forget to drink fluids and bring extra gloves and clothes.  when cutting trees frozen red oak will run a split right up the butt if you miscut.  if ya don't pick up things they get lost in the snow.  
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

Cutting in the sun. >:(.  Almost always use water, it's available, but you have to keep the lines and tank clean or algae closes them up.  Have to put something under the feet to keep them from sinking in the mire. Blow sawdust off the mill or the rain turns it to mud.  Don't leave lumber in a dead stack because the mold glues it together in about 3 days.  Protect your face and arms from the sun.  Tractor runs good , needs an oil cooler.  Have to drink plenty of fluids too, starting with coffee...water and most folks usually end it with Anheuser. (brewery is down the road).  If you don't pick up things they get lost in the mud......or sand.......or the grass if you let it lay for 2 or 3 days.  :D :D

Ouch !, got my tongue hung in my cheek. :'(

L. Wakefield

Yeah, that frozen together with rough cut- I had some oak 6x6 that I couldn't chisel apart- finally used a sledgehammer to knock them apart. I thought about a propane torch but that just didn't seem like such a great idea. ::)   lw

John_Boisselier

Ah listen to all us whiners  ::) ::) ;D.  This has been a great year.  It's only gotten down to zero a few times this year, and most of the time it's been barely freezing.  Last year was a lot worse.  We actually had 42 days in a row where it never even got above zero.  Of course, that was an extreme case in the other direction.  Now we can all start telling those stories about how when we wuz kids we had to walk 14 miles to school in a blizzard every day and uphill each way with bare feet carrying both our younger siblings, and the girl next door's books etc. etc. etc,,   By the way, a saw in good tune and the name stihl on it will start and run in 2-4 pulls even at zero.  So There.  Have Fun.  John
The Woodsman

Thank You Sponsors!