iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The good, the bad and the ugly.. logs

Started by Ianab, August 01, 2004, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

I love knots. Knots and knots of character and it is beautiful.  You have to say it kind of fast to get the effect I want. :D :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ianab

Dont ya love how the search lets ya find old threads again  :)

Got the ugly piece of cedar out the shed, it's nice and dry now, and ran the router over it.

Hard to see all the interesting grain thats going on in there, but I'll post some closeup once I get it finished properly

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Ianab

Another shot of the wood, splashed some water on it to show up the grain better.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

I really don't think you'll be able to make anything out of that screwed up piece of cedar, just send it to me for disposal! ;D

Rockn H

Quote from: Ianab on January 29, 2005, 03:14:13 AM
The panneling is going in the closet now. Not what you would call clear boards, but I like the look ;)

I think knotty pine or cedar is some of the prettiest panneling you can get. ;D
Looks real nice to me.

sawguy21

This is an interesting thread. That wood is beautiful and the country is really nice  too. The volcano is spectacular.  Sure does not look like winter here either although rain at -4C would be bone chilling.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodsteach

Ian,

Great looking pix, as far as the closet lining, are you just butting the boards together or are you tongue and grooving it? 

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Ernie

Ian

Have you approached Tourism NZ for a subsidy. Your pics are beautiful and a good advert for our great little country.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

QuoteGreat looking pix, as far as the closet lining, are you just butting the boards together or are you tongue and grooving it? 

The panelling in the closet was done with a simple shiplap profile, nailed in place and left unfinished for the smell. The room wall from the closet to the kitchen were done in t&g Macrocarpa cypress, hidden nailed and profesionally spray finished by the joiner that did the kitchen. He included some more panelling and a wine rack in the kitchen of the same timber. I will get some more pictures at the weekend now the house is finished.

Cheers

Ian

UNCLEBUCK

I am impressed with how you run your mill and the boards you get.  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Ianab

So what else happened to the ugly logs...

My elderly father has trouble bending down to do up his shoe laces now, so I've built him a boot bench to go by his back door. These aren't a common thing in NZ so all I had to go on was pictures off the net.   ???
Actually fairly light and dainty construction by my normal standards, but it's NOT going to fall apart, or rot, or be eaten by bugs  :)

Cheers

Ian

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Jeff

O.K. Now I can tell you how much I like it. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

That is very nice of you and it looks great !   8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Radar67

That is a nice looking bench. Did you find the plans for it or just figure it up in your head?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ianab

QuoteDid you find the plans for it or just figure it up in your head?

Umm... does a sketch with some measurements count as a plan?
Thats all I use and design as I go, sometimes I build myself into a corner and have to adjust things to fit, or end up with a couple of screws showing etc.
Anyway Lil jokes that if there is ever an earthquake you just need to dive under any piece of furniture I've built and you will be safe  ;) :D

Ian

P.S. my house has TWO back doors.... no front door though  ::)  :D

Radar67

Ian,
    That sounds like my method, picture in head and build as I go.  ;) And yes, a sketch with measurements counts as a plan.  ;D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LIL

:D

LIL is just waiting for the day there is an earthquake to prove her theory  ;D
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Ianab

Still building stuff from those logs  ;)

Still needs finishing, it's just been sanded in this picture. We needed a small table for the lunchroom at work. To hold the beer fridge actually  ;)
Anyway thats what I came up with, and it should pass all relavent earthquake codes  :D

Ian

MULE_MAN

Ianab

Nice looking Table  8)    There's no end to your Talent's is there.

Good Job  8) 8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!