iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Worried about 'my' herd

Started by JohnM, February 06, 2015, 10:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

The snow is so deep, 3' I'd guess, and the temps so cold, -7 last night, that it always makes me worry about the local deer herd.  Normally this time of year I'd be out cutting firewood and the deer would be waiting on the edges of the cut for me to leave. :D  I can't even get the tractor in the woods at this point though.  I'll likely snowshoe in this weekend and cut down a couple of cedar for them to gnaw on.  I'm not 'really' worried as I know this may actually cull some of the weaker animals and deer adapt as good or better than any animal out there, but we don't often get this amount of snowfall all at once so it's something I think about.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

I'm helping about 15 make it through.  ;)  A neighbor I saw today only has 5 at his place. I was up to 20 when I first started to feed them. I have kinda pushed some snow to get to woods. but it's too much of a bother really. Most times I can keep a certain area open,but with 2 feet than a few days later another foot,than a few days later 6 inches,it is too much to try to keep a road open. I used the snow blower to get to the edge of the woods up here by the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

the ones where im working must be mad cause they was not there today  I ran on most of the skid trails today to help them out the ash and s maple tops they are chewing down to a dime size they must be hungry they are dragging there belly and going to get more snow Monday poor things   at least the coyotes arnt there yet  but if they move in they will be coming out on a rope with led in there arss :D hopefully  8)

Onthesauk

5 or 6 years ago we got 9 feet of snow over the course of about 6 weeks.  I stood in the kitchen window and watched a little doe working up the hill.  She would fight her way to the next tree and stand and rest in the clear spots and then move again.  Think it took her 45 minutes to reach the thick woods where there was move cover.  Often wonder how many of them survive a winter like that.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Chuck White

Here in NY, it's illegal to feed the deer.

Quite a few people still put out hay or corn for them.

Right now, we have a little over 2 feet of snow on average, and more coming daily for the next week or so.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Barney II

If you can do it add some molasses and oats to the  corn.  They will start to eat slowly at first but when they get used to it stand back :D :D :D :D   I just string the corn out for about 100 feet or so, that way there is less fighting and everyone gets a chance to get some.  Just put it in a tire track if you can just so that it isn't under all the snow. Some hay is ok but not too much.  Good luck-----Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on February 07, 2015, 07:11:24 AM

Right now, we have a little over 2 feet of snow on average, and more coming daily for the next week or so.
chuck it is legal to feed deer here in Sullivan co ny  it was in the paper and I think it was in one of the outdoor news mag last year   our judge over turned the band in Sullivan co something to do with the constitution of Sullivan co  to feed the wild life in the time of need or something like that  ill try and find the  info

Magicman

Looks like our "herd" is making it OK.  Friday evening there were 11 in the Cabin back yard and then yesterday the back yard group were there and there were 6 in the front yard.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: Barney II on February 08, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
If you can do it add some molasses and oats to the  corn.  They will start to eat slowly at first but when they get used to it stand back :D :D :D :D   I just string the corn out for about 100 feet or so, that way there is less fighting and everyone gets a chance to get some.  Just put it in a tire track if you can just so that it isn't under all the snow. Some hay is ok but not too much.  Good luck-----Don

Back when we used to feed the deer in the backyard (about 5-6 years ago) I made a shallow trough out of a 2x6 using the nose of my chainsaw and I put corn in it and when the deer got used to the trough, I started putting molasses in one end and pretty soon the deer would go for the molasses before they would the corn.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I have an area about 100 feet by 6-8 feet wide. I throw the grain out like I'm feeding a bunch of chickens. Course 14 in the grain of choice at the store. We do stock the special deer corn grain,but the corn is pretty big in that type of grain. Most buy the 14. Bread they like too. I have a few apples to give them tonight. I have to go through the squash too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Snowshoed out while carrying the chainsaw and small shovel (tried putting them in a sled and of course they fell out before I got out of the driveway :( :-[).  Breaking trail in this much snow is a workout without carrying a chainsaw so I took the snowmobile trail most of the way back. ;D  Dropped a couple of dead trees with moss and lichen in them plus a cedar, course the cedar hung up but they can reach half of it at least.  Doubt it helps that much but it can't hurt either.

As for feeding them directly, I don't do it but like I said 'normally' I'd be out there this time of year cutting firewood and they'd have plenty of browse.  I thought I had heard/read that corn is not that good for deer in the winter as their metabolism can't get the nutrition out of the corn they need and they actually spend more energy digesting the it than what they get out of it.  I'm not a 100% on that but worth checking into if you are feeding them corn.

Quote from: Magicman on February 08, 2015, 02:34:39 PM
Looks like our "herd" is making it OK.
Good to know those Mississippi deer are pulling through this winter, MM! ;) ;D :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

coxy

that's what they tell me also    I feed crack corn  wheat and alfalfa

thecfarm

I think deer digest corn the way we do. It goes right straight through.  ;D

Chuck White

When we used to feed corn to the deer in our back yard, most times the deer would come in and eat some corn for a few minutes, then they would go out along the hedgerow and browse a little and come back to the corn again later.

weimedog

Quote from: Chuck White on February 07, 2015, 07:11:24 AM

We see them come down to the Horse and Cow's feeder's and even in close to the water by the barn from time to time. They "share" with our live stock when they need to. About the only place I HAVEN"T seem them is in the barn where the cows walk in! But who willing wants to wade thru cow crap..... lol
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

coxy

have to ask you farmers   the grass that gets wraped in the white bags will the deer eat it  is it ok for them to eat

Chuck White

Quote from: coxy on February 11, 2015, 07:20:56 PM
have to ask you farmers   the grass that gets wraped in the white bags will the deer eat it  is it ok for them to eat

Lots of people up here will put the wrapped bales out and the deer really go for them.

I have never seen a sick or dead deer in the feeding areas around here.

We went out and cut some White Cedar trees yesterday and dragged them out to where the deer could get to them.  We checked today and there wasn't a green twig on any of them.

Going to cut some more tomorrow.

thecfarm

Chunk,I would like to do the cedar thing too. But I have to go through 2 feet of snow to get there and than I would have to walk through 2 feet of snow. Most years we don't get so much so fast and I can manage a little in the woods.

Chuck White

Ray, In most places, the snow was up to our pockets.

Just had to take it easy and not over do it.

Fortunately my brothers tractor has a logging winch on it with 150' of cable.  ;D

pabst79

As far as the deer not being able to digest corn or hay in winter, this is true if the deer aren't used to it as a normal part of their diet. If you traveled out to the swamp mid winter and dump out corn to deer that have never had it, I think biologists will tell you it may do more harm then good, however if your herd eats corn and grain during the warm months and you start feeding as soon as the cold begins it helps them alot. I will try and get a few pictures tonite of the "heifers" that eat behind the house.  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

E fan

I know things are way different up north with cold and snow but here in Arkansas I have two tracts that I either own or help take care of that we hunt on and we feed 24/7/365 with protein feeders and plots of standing corn and soy beans

thecfarm

I have one less deer in my herd. I would say coyotes. I was down there cutting some firewood,just behind the house,I would guess 2-300 feet. Brenda saw a bald eagle up in the tree. Than she saw it go down to the ground.

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on March 13, 2015, 06:55:47 PM
I have one less deer in my herd. I would say coyotes. I was down there cutting some firewood,just behind the house,I would guess 2-300 feet. Brenda saw a bald eagle up in the tree. Than she saw it go down to the ground.
Yep, I seem to find a carcase every other year or so.  Snowshoed around 'out back' last weekend, cut down a few cedar branches and didn't see any signs of dead deer but I guarantee they're out there.  With the warm temps mid week there's a crust on the still deep snow, the deer are a having a rough one this year for sure.  And every other animal for that matter, pulled in the drive the other evening and had 5 turkey in the yard/driveway.  They 'flushed' and flew into the woods, felt bad for making them expend the energy.

thecfarm

Hi John,you are right about the crust. I had to work down to the edge of the woods to get my tarp that I use to cover the wood pile with. The wind wrapped it around a tree. I walked on top of the snow most of the way. But I started to break through. The walk down the hill was not bad,the walk up was not so easy. I found 2 piles of hair I think last year. But those was not within sight of the house.

thecfarm

My herd has packed up and left me.  :D  They just started to cut above me. This is the first night that I went out to feed them and none was there. But I betcha they will show up in the night and the food will be gone in the morning. And the loggers are cutting some cedar for the deer too.

Thank You Sponsors!