iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling online

Started by 69bronco, April 18, 2015, 09:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

You can put your FB page in your profile so a link to it comes up on every post.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hackberry jake

Quote from: Ianab on April 23, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
You can put your FB page in your profile so a link to it comes up on every post.  ;)
smiley_thumbsup
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Never heard of etsy and I am not on facelift so I guess I am doomed. Oh well I have too much to do now. This is as far as I allow technology to invade my life.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 23, 2015, 08:13:26 PM
Never heard of etsy and I am not on facelift so I guess I am doomed. Oh well I have too much to do now. This is as far as I allow technology to invade my life.

I was not on facebook until last july or august. I despise it for much more than the business aspect of it. it is just like anything else though. take the good with the bad. it was good for business though.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Ax- man

I am in the same boat as the OP . I make lathe items, benches and some chainsaw carvings. It is hard to sell these things in my area. I have been wanting to try some on-line sales.

I haven't tried ETSY yet and was wondering how fast items sell on that site??? or do they just sit there months at a time before they sell??? I don't want anything to do with E-Bay. I have tried craft sales but not much luck at those either. I have tried consignment sales with mixed results in some local shops but their commissions are pretty steep and don't leave any meat on the bone if an item does sell. I haven't tried getting a booth at a craft mall yet and was wondering if someone has tried that???

I know I can't afford a website, I have no clue how to get on FB either. I'd like to continue my little part time wood sales business because I do enjoy it but I am getting discouraged because there doesn't seem to be any kind of real market for unique one of a kind wood items. I really can't see doing it as just a hobby to occupy my time because of cost and the purchase of tools. I don't expect to get rich just a little something extra to make some money on the side.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Ax- man on April 26, 2015, 12:47:02 PM
I am in the same boat as the OP . I make lathe items, benches and some chainsaw carvings. It is hard to sell these things in my area. I have been wanting to try some on-line sales.

I haven't tried ETSY yet and was wondering how fast items sell on that site??? or do they just sit there months at a time before they sell??? I don't want anything to do with E-Bay. I have tried craft sales but not much luck at those either. I have tried consignment sales with mixed results in some local shops but their commissions are pretty steep and don't leave any meat on the bone if an item does sell. I haven't tried getting a booth at a craft mall yet and was wondering if someone has tried that???

I know I can't afford a website, I have no clue how to get on FB either. I'd like to continue my little part time wood sales business because I do enjoy it but I am getting discouraged because there doesn't seem to be any kind of real market for unique one of a kind wood items. I really can't see doing it as just a hobby to occupy my time because of cost and the purchase of tools. I don't expect to get rich just a little something extra to make some money on the side.

sometimes items do sit on etsy for months. sometimes things sell in no time. Its just getting the price right I guess. we have had booths at the craft/antique malls and never made the booth fee at any of them. we gave up on that route. the only items we ever sold there were some toys my son wanted to get rid of.  shows in the summertime and fall festivals are usually good. we have one this weekend.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

jueston

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 27, 2015, 10:23:09 PM
Quote from: Ax- man on April 26, 2015, 12:47:02 PM

sometimes items do sit on etsy for months. sometimes things sell in no time. Its just getting the price right I guess. we have had booths at the craft/antique malls and never made the booth fee at any of them. we gave up on that route. the only items we ever sold there were some toys my son wanted to get rid of.  shows in the summertime and fall festivals are usually good. we have one this weekend.

i've sold at a few craft fairs and the like, the only items that have ever sold well enough to justify going are Christmas items: turned ornaments and small gift boxes.

but to me sitting at that booth is like torture... it drives me crazy seeing people walk up, say how nice it is, look at the price and then be shocked. i guess people are so used to cheap Chinese junk the idea of paying for craftsmanship is crazy to them.

Thank You Sponsors!