iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clearing Saw - Stihl 560 - Husqvarna 555 - Echo 410U ????

Started by Nrowles, September 26, 2015, 07:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nrowles

New to the forum.  Thanks for having me.  Sorry for the long winded post.

Recently purchased 14 acres of very thick planted pulpwood pines.  I've already had an excavator in to clear 3/4 acre for the house.  My plan was to clear about 4 more acres for field and personal recreation.  I was going to have the excavator come back and mow down 4 more acres with his dozer but was told by the county conservation department that any ground disturbance over 1 acre gets the Feds involved with required basin stone beds and blah blah blah.  I don't want to go through all that and I don't have the money for it.  Was told I can do whatever I want as long as I leave the stump in the ground.

I may try to find someone in the central Pennsylvania area with a fecon machine or a crew that clears this stuff.  To keep cost down though I think I will probably buy a clearing saw myself and work at it over time.  After this project I would really have no specific use for the machine but will not mind having it around.  I want one that will be efficient and work well for what I need to do.

The property is polluted with pines mostly less than 6".  Majority are 3-4".  I have a small Husky for anything larger.  Some areas are so thick a person can't walk through.  The 3/4 acre cleared yielded a massive amount of material.  Has to be a thousand trees on that pile.

First question is weather i should purchase the $1200 Stihl/Husqvarna or the $575 Echo.  Like I said I want to be very efficient so I am not sure the Echo is it.  15 cc less than the Stihl.  Any unbiased opinions?

If I go with a Stihl or Husqvarna which I think I will....does either one have an advantage over the other and why?  Please be unbiased.  To the average person such as myself they seem very similar.

SwampDonkey

Both the same pretty much, but the Husqvarna has a much better forestry harnass. The Stihl harness is junk and it will rub the hide off ya. I use the Stihls myself but use the Husqvarna harnass. I work on a crew of bush whackers and we have both saws.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

49er

"I was going to have the excavator come back and mow down 4 more acres with his dozer but was told by the county conservation department that any ground disturbance over 1 acre gets the Feds involved with required basin stone beds and blah blah blah."
  God is there no end to government meddling.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

SawTroll

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 26, 2015, 07:49:11 AM
.....  , but the Husqvarna has a much better forestry harnass. .....

You are not the first one to state that!
Information collector.

PASS_AUF

Swamp donkey is spot on about the harness, balance XT all the way! In fact he's the reason I joined this forum, you'll be hard pressed to find someone anywhere with more knowledge of clearing saws. To answer your question Nrowles, I have both at Stihl FS450 (now a 460) and a Husky 555FX. You cant go wrong with either Stihl or Husky, given the amount of land you have to work I'd go with a 55CC Stihl or Husky, they're built like tanks and you never find yourself wishing for more saw. I just got my 555FX and chose it over the Stihl due to its slightly lighter weight and because I've always wanted to own a Husky. It's a very well built saw, my only complaint is the thumb operated throttle, it's fine to use but I'm sure I'll snap it off at some point. You can't go wrong with an FS560 either, perhaps go with whichever company offers the best support in your area. I'd pick up plenty of Carlton blades (great quality at a great price) and a good file set too. (Edit): I do like the Husky's front mount fuel tank. I wanna say it holds over 35 ounces and because it's front mount I find the machine balances quite nicely. But I've never held a Stihl 560 so I can't say it gives Husky a definitive edge.
Stihl MS362
Stihl FS550
Stihl FS450
Stihl FS250
Stihl FS80
Stihl 026
Husky 555FX
John Deere Gator 825i
John Deere 4066M

Nrowles

Thanks for the responses fellows.  I believe I will go with the Husky 555 so I get the harness I need.

With the purchase of the machine I was going to get a few of the Carlton Maxi 225-25c blades I saw recommended on this site.  I'm going to get a helmet with the eye and ear protection and also a pair of good gloves.  Will also get a good file set.  I am somewhat of a newbie so are there any recommendations on these items?  I'm thinking a file guide for dummys.  Anything else I will need?  I wasn't going to buy the logging boots or chaps.

Are there any tips or suggestion regarding this machine and it's use?  I assume the owners manual will put me in the right direction but would like some input from those that use this equipment regularly.

SwampDonkey

Look for the Stihl file guide, it also has a sett guide on the end. Takes some practice to get a technique down for cutting pattern. But I would work in strips across the work site and establish a walking trail along the length of a strip at the far edge. One trail can service to strips, work on one side of the trail going in and the other coming out. Easier walking in and out of the site without climbing and tripping in brush. Try to get the brush to fall away from where your cutting trees, a lot less chopping. Sometimes the left hand can direct the fall and sometimes just the way you tip the blade as it's exiting the cut. Work with the hill, always go up a hill cutting, minimize any down hill cutting. Also work with the wind so it will throw the brush away and into the cut slash and not into where your going to being cutting. Bring water and a little bag of nuts and dates or other goodies. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

skipster

I've own the stihl FS 550,the FS560,husky 252rx, and the 555.
My preference is the Stihl 550. The 560 is lots heavier and more cumbersome,and doesnt have much more noticeable power.
The huskys dont whack down the thicker eucalypts as well as the 550,less low end power IMHO.
Be careful with taller stuff, these big clearing saws take a small tree down,but you cant get out of the way as nimbly as you can when using a chainsaw. Use a helmet and faceshield.

SwampDonkey

There's no significant difference between the 550 or 560. I have both as well. Power is the same. The website and manual list the power ratings. They are both around 22 lbs.

SawTroll

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 28, 2015, 04:12:56 AM
There's no significant difference between the 550 or 560. I have both as well. Power is the same. The website and manual list the power ratings. They are both around 22 lbs.

Staying with the specs for a while, it looks like the Husky 555 is over 2 lbs lighter than the current Stihl?
Information collector.

Nrowles

Quote from: SawTroll on September 28, 2015, 05:44:55 AM

Staying with the specs for a while, it looks like the Husky 555 is over 2 lbs lighter than the current Stihl?

This and the harness are the main reasons I went with the Husky 555.  Ordered it this morning. 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: SawTroll on September 28, 2015, 05:44:55 AM

I have not seen those specs. Regardless you get the same saw with a better harness.

Sometimes it's the dealer that makes the sale to. A new owner took over a reputable shop and things are going down hill. One fellow I know is buying Stihl next. But I know already that 4 guys on the crew went from Husky to Stihl before this.

Thank You Sponsors!