iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sprocket shot?

Started by psychotic1, March 29, 2002, 09:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psychotic1

Hi folks,
I've been busy bucking up small alders for the gun club woodshed, and tonight I ran into a problem I've never seen before.  I was bucking up some poles when I noticed my chain was too tight.  So I loosened it a little and went back to cutting.  two or three cuts later, the chain is so tight, I can't move it by hand.  Loosened it again,  same thing.  Loosened it once more, and the durn chain came off the bar :o
So.  Took saw apart, checked bar, sprocket, and chain.  Sprocket seemed a little worn, but nothing particularly new.  Put everything back together, tightened chain up.  tightened down the bar bolt, and moved the chain by hand.  Chain went around a few times, then tightened up till I couldn't move it.  Loosened it up, and it was hanging down below the bar.  Tightened it incrementally until correct, and withing a couple of turns around the bar by hand, the chain was locked up again.  I can't seem to find the right spot.  Either it's loose enough to fall off, or it's so tight I can't move it.  Any of you chainsaw guru's got any advice for me?  Please?

Ps.  skilsaw 1616.  Don't know how old, but I can't get parts anymore.  The stihl dealer looked like he wanted to call a psychiatrist, and the homelite/yamaha/everything else guy just laughed.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Frank_Pender

Sounds as though you will have a nice wall hanging with the 1616.  ;)  then i would check out a new Stihl in the same physical size and hed back for the Gun Clum cutting. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Tom

Is your bar bent?

Have you got gunk in the chain groove? (stops oiling)

Is the sprocket running true on the shaft?

Is the chain worn and not tracking on the sprocket? (bend side to side)  Might not be the right chain too.

Well, That about does it for my suggestions.  I've hit the bottom of the barrel.  :D

Kevin

Sounds like the tensioner is broken or disabled .
Have a look where it seats in the bar.

psychotic1

Eventually, this saw is gonna end up planted in a rock by the bar, but I can't afford to replace it just yet.  Maybe next month.

Thanks for the hints guys.  I'll check it out today.  After fiddling with it for about 30 minutes last night, I set it in the shop and went to have dinner.  I'll go and tear it apart this morning.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

DanG

Kevin's got it. The tensioner has had it. My ol' Poo-lan 3400 usta do the same thing(bless it's pore ol' dead soul :'(). Things get worn so that the bar will wig-wag up and down, and the chain tension will vary wildly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!