iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

types of chains

Started by L. Wakefield, March 20, 2002, 06:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

I swear; I saw a very handy post in here somwhere not too long ago about 3 types of chains- one was the fastest cutting but had to be kept razor sharp. The other 2 were slower but could cut relatively ok even if somewhat dull. I can't find the post! Can someone help me out? I couldn't figure out a way to search it but i thought surely it was under 'chainsaws' ???  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin

Square corner chisel is the best cutting, round or chipper stays sharper longer but isn`t as aggressive as chisel.

KiwiCharlie

G'day LW,

Square chisel chain is what the pros use mainly, very good but also hard to sharpen if youve not been doing it daily for the last 20 years!!... Can use flat, and round files to sharpen.

http://madsens1.com/chainmnt.htm
http://madsens1.com/chateeth.htm
http://madsens1.com/angles.htm

Semi chisel is slightly rounded from the top plate round to the side plate, holds an edge pretty well, and is easy to sharpen with normal round file.

Round ground chain is very rounded from top to side plate, and holds an edge well, if your cutting dirty wood and rocking the chain out occasionally!  Also easy to sharpen.

As you will see by the links, you can get right into what you always thought was a simple thing!
Hope that hasnt just confused you.  Someone will correct me if needed!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Yo Charlie,
Square ground chisel requires the flat file but not ye ole common chisel that us semi pro`s use.
Then thars semi chisel and round or chipper.

KiwiCharlie

G'day Kevin,

Thanks bud, slopped my dripper there!!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

L. Wakefield

yes, that was the basic spiel. I'll do a search with those terms and see if I can find the thread. I need to pound it into my brain and then a) go look at chains for sale and b) look at what I actually have on my saw- haven't seen my saw in a bit.. but I know it's in the toolbox that is on the bind and almost NOBODY can open (that includes me...) wuz a truckmounted box, then loose and sliding around in the back of the truck (cuz of the cap), then onto the ground and in the barn, now in the garage. If I prop it up JUST right and pound on the push buttons with a hammer and pry *JUST SO* I can get it open. Or could the last time. But I had set it so the cover was only almost closed- and then the dog went and jumped on it. Next step may be  the grinder, or a 'minor precision adjustment'- I learned about those a long time ago- just get the right size hammer for the job... Do I need another box? Gee, ya think?

That is why I feel so much akin to you, Tom, when you talk about putting a chain to soak in a can of oil and then running around banging into the walls looking for the dratted chain. And now I'm trying to master digital camera. HMMM...those senior moments..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

L. Wakefield

Two things..1) took KiwiC's terminology and did a search- John B's post from 3/6 under Joey's thread 91st real chainsaw) was the one I remembered. now I've printed em both off and highlighted the relevant terms. 2) Those links to Madsen's are EXCELLENT! Just exactly what I was looking for. That's the level of technical description I like- tells you what it looks like, how it should work, and how to keep it that way. This is not to say that I eyeball at that micro level if I'm lumbering along (I mean style of walking)- and looking for stuff to cut. At that point i'm paying attention to personal safety and not wanting to hit rocks.

Thanks for the help!  lw

Thank You Sponsors!