iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying types of lumber

Started by Arkyrick, December 07, 2015, 08:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyrick

I have had a sawmill for 10 years but am still learning how to identify species of trees (lumber) I know how to identify Black walnut - Pine - Cedar - White and red oak - Sassafras - Hickory - but I cut two logs the other day and made siding out of them for my wood shed, I think the lighter colored one is Ash I have no idea what the red one is the red has the bark still on it

LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

drobertson

It appears to be oak, maybe  black jack?  hard to tell,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Arkyrick

It had a leaf like a hickory but I've never seen Hickory that red

Arkyrick

sealark37

It looks like one of the hickories to me.  Regards, Clark

dgdrls

Was the material with the bark heavier than than the other
material??

Dan

drobertson

It does look like some type of hickory from the bark, how did it smell? was there a sweetness to it?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Hickory can have a lot of red, depending on where it grew and which species.  Honeylocust is another species that throws off a lot of people.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Arkyrick

Yes it was heavier than the lighter wood and it did have a sweet smell.

Thank You Sponsors!