iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Trying to find a replacement bar tip

Started by scsmith42, September 07, 2021, 01:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

My dedicated slabber uses a 7' long .404 GB bar. Unfortunately GB stopped making these, and I need to find some replacement bar tips for it.

It uses what is called the "M" style tip, which I "think" may have been used by some older Husqvarna saws.

I was able to source a couple of replacement tips from a local chainsaw dealer years ago (going out of business sale), but have not been successful in locating any replacement tips since then.  I hate to spend the $ to replace the entire bar if I can avoid it.

The tip looks like this:

I think that the number stamped on the tip is either RQ404 or R0404.

If anybody knows of a potential supplier for this style of replacement tip, I'd sure appreciate it if you could share.

Thanks much.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

lxskllr

Dunno, but if you don't find a "normal" source, you might want to contact Cannon to see if they can make you a tip. They do custom work on bars, so they should be able to make a tip. If so, I imagine it'll be spendy, but cheaper than buying a new long bar.

scsmith42

UPDATE:  Shortly after I posted this I found what may be the correct replacement tip from a supplier in Australia.....  I'm awaiting confirmation that their replacement will match up to the dimensions on my bar.

I'd still like to source some domestically if I can find them, due to the faster turnaround time, so if anybody can suggest a source I'd appreciate it.

barbender

Oregon harvester bars use a tip similar, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same though.

Oregon 537245 Replacment Nose Kit, 11-Tooth, .404 Pitch
Too many irons in the fire

scsmith42

Quote from: barbender on September 08, 2021, 12:47:08 AM
Oregon harvester bars use a tip similar, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same though.

Oregon 537245 Replacment Nose Kit, 11-Tooth, .404 Pitch
Thx. It's similar, but different. Mine is tapered in the center where it attaches to the bar, whereas the Oregon is straight.

Real1shepherd

I went through this with those old .404 Oregon bars that had the half-moon three rivet pattern.

I looked forever....finally found a guy with a cache of them. Probably bought more than I will use in my lifetime....still, it was very satisfying after about ten yrs searching.

Unbeknown to me, Bailey's found the tips in an old warehouse and sold them all fairly quickly. l never got that memo......

Best of luck in your hunt!

Kevin

Hilltop366

I thought of pumping bar oil directly in the nose bearing when I had a CSM, my thinking was it would lube and cool the bearing and add lube to the cutting side of the bar. I was thinking of making a clamp looking thing that would put oil in the top hole and block the lower hole, sold the mill and never tried it.

Another option if you can't find a new tip would be to make a drive sprocket holder with a regular set of bearings.

Larry

I wonder how much work it would be to make one.  The cnc/water jet boys are really getting accurate with their machines and price is usually reasonable.  What three plates and a nose bearing?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

lxskllr

On that line of thought, I was thinking modding the bar to take a Stihl tip might be doable. If the geometry works aside from the actual mount, a machine shop should be able to do it.

Tacotodd

Or just mod the bar for a simple Oregon single rivet tip that's commonly used on handheld units.

Scratch that last part.

Mod that tip in reply #3 to fit your GB bar. Even if it doesn't work then it'll have been the least expensive idea to have tried ???
Trying harder everyday.

scsmith42

Thanks all for the advice. I'll research what would be needed to use Stihl tips. In the meanwhile, I have a replacement tip (only found one) inbound from Australia.

Thank You Sponsors!