iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newer dolmars

Started by JD_Kid, March 27, 2002, 06:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
i have a 12 Yr old 120Si dolmar and thinking of up dateing to a newer one anyone used them?? i have a smaller dolmar so i might even look at 70cc model
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Tillaway

Rare as hens teeth in my parts.  They were popular for a while then they disappeared.  Makita owns them now and is trying to bring them back.  There were allot of 120si's sold for a while.  Good saws at good prices.  I have no info on the new ones.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

woodman

JD i havent finshed going around the block yet could you tell me whit a dolmar is, i am gussing saw?   :-[ :-[
Jim Cripanuk

JD_Kid

Hi ya
dolmar is a saw they are made in west germany not too far away from the "other"west german saw ..i have had others huskys etc etc but just like the feel of them ,i have owned 3  and apart from norm running repairs i've had a great run with them ,i have not seen or used the newer PS models and hoped some one on here has been lead astray and used one..
catch ya
JD Kid

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

sawman

New member to the forum. Been selling, servicing saws for about 20 years.
Dolmar is a line I sell, so maybe I can be of some help.
Dolmar was the first saw made in 1927.                          Was sued by Stihl about advertising it. Dolmar won.
Dolmar has won alot of European saw contests.
Dolmar was sued by Stihl again over using the colors of orange & gray. Believe it or not, Stihl has a patent on...colors. Stihl won. Sounds like they should play in the sandbox.
Not hard figure as to why they're not on the friendliest of terms.
Dolmar is part of Makita, which also owns a large chunk of Robin Japan. They are seperate companies.
Some of the past distributors were cancelled, because they didn't do the job in supporting dealers. They are rebuilding, and ONLY interested in the Pro, and upscale user. Dolmar won't be in big boxes. Servicing  dealers only is what they're trying to build.

As to the new saws,PS6400,7300,7900, I've been impressed with it's overall design,  definately is the easiest to service(they listened!), it has brute torque, very clean burning, very low vibe & noise levels,and a very unique some what semi "self cleaning" air filtration system.

Hopes this is of some help.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Paul_H

Sawman,
Didn't Dolmar have a rotary engine? Do they still make them?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawman

Yes, they did years ago.

Have a 4-cycle, 57cc  Pro saw joint developement between Dolmar ,and Porsche.

Should/could see some late next year, or Spring 04.

Wallenstein FX85

Jeff

Welcome Sawman, glad to meet ya.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JD_Kid

Hi ya Sawman
yes all that ya saying about saw races i have heard before even in NZ when the 120Si come out it kicked a lot of @$$ 8)  8)now i note stihl backs most of the timber sports in NZ and try and keep other saws out of races ..the mill i'm buying has a PS 9000 or 9010 powerhead  
catch ya
JD Kid

JD_Kid

Hi ya Sawman
have you had any probs with the new dolmars?? i heard from the makers of my mill today and they are useing a PS9010 makita/dolmar on it they are finding it is haveing probs with it idleing  :( any ideas??
catch ya
JD Kid

sawman

Hello JD Kid,
PS9010 came from PS9000, which came from the 133/143 series.
9010 is about as debugged as you can get. Only problem was with some 9000, and early 9010's was the saw would try to run backwards, or pull the rope right out of your hand.
Some electronic ignitions failed. Covered under warranty.

9010 have power beyond competitors of similar size. I don't recommend shorter bars (24") or less as the torque curve is for longer bars 28"- 42".

If you can provide more operating info perhaps I can help.

FYI...Actually users can hurt many different electronic ignitions by not properly grounding the spark plug!
Wallenstein FX85

JD_Kid

Hi ya Sawman
thanks for the info,If i had the saw here i could give ya a run down on what it's doing ,it has gone to the shop to be looked at so should be going in next few days..on another note have you seen 120Si's wear out brake bands?? kinda wearing only in one spot ..
catch ya
JD Kid

JD_Kid

Hi ya
Sawman may know something on this and other saws may work the same too  in the book that come with the PS9010 it say's that the saw can't go past 13500 RPM  but when a saw run's out of fuel and screams it's head off it sounds alot faster ,i have also noted my saw seems very oily and smokey the fuel mix   (gas/oil) is right ,running a bit rich or to cold??any ideas?
catch ya
JD Kid

sawman

Sorry so late. I missed a few replies.

JD Kid, about the band brake. Four things that contribute to wear,
 First> is dirt under the band which pushes it into-onto the clutch drum.
Second> deformed clutch cover. Bent, dented, twisted.
Third> Out of round clutch drum.
Fourth>Bent brake band. Usually happens from not having clutch cover put on right. Only takes one time. Spring steel.

Max RPM is limited to 13.5K. But a saw can be leaned to make it scream into the upper RPM. When  the engine runs out of fuel it has some air in the fuel just before it runs out. That's normal for any two cycle.
The limiters help to keep the saw from frying a cylinder-piston.

Check the following: Too much oil. Wrong kind of oil. Dirty air filter.Always clean the air filter BEFORE adjusting the carb. Carb adjusted too rich. Spark arrestor blocked.

Let meknow how you made out.

Wallenstein FX85

L. Wakefield

QuoteSpark arrestor blocked.

...(chimes in numbly)- Spark arrestor? Chainsaws have spark arrestors? I only heard about that on diesel tractors (in the context of one that was missing and maybe that was why the hayfield and the barn burned..) :(   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

KiwiCharlie

G'day LW,

Oh boy!  Would you be surprised how much more power a stock standard saw can produce, when you take baffles out and drill a couple of well placed outlet holes and weld small tube to the holes!  The saw runs better, and most say cooler too, which is good for the life of the saw.  However, its probably illegal in some places, and if you started a fire, you woulnt look too smart!, and man, can they get louder.  No muffs, and I aint running the thing!! :D
Heres a pic of one (Thanks Huskyman!)

Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
well the brake band has been worked out BUT still not 100% what happened is some clown >:( played with the brake last time it was replaced and now the band nip's against it's self when open making it sit a bit low only way to fix is rebuild sidecover ..i think the saw is running a bit rich as along with a bit of smoke it also does not rev out ,when i've done a few tanks of gas i'll take it in for a tune and look over ...kiwicharlie yep ya can get good Hp with a few tuneing tricks ;) i know a few huskys with no spark arrestor (and brake bands too) :o i have a feeling in NZ some logger's have to have them ,,that aside where do ya buy a PINK!
chainsaw?i just got a gut feeling they may not catch on in the south ;)
catch ya
JD Kid

sawman

Spark arrestor is a screen that is right at the muffler exhaust port. Usually held in by one screw.

It is legal in the USA to remove them, IF Federal and State codes permit.
Most do, with some exceptions being "High Risk Days", and they are always posted,  or  call them to find out. Then you must put them back in place.

You can increase power by drilling certain holes, and modifying ports, BUT some mods will affect muffler "skin" tempature,  exhaust tempature, and exhaust discharge angle.

CAUTION: They can violate some countries Fire Safety Standards.

I'll tell you what to do, but you must tell me where you're located.
Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!