iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The best clearing saw / brush cutter

Started by livemusic, January 31, 2017, 07:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I was just talking to one of the guys that bought a new saw last year and he said the price of the Husqvarna 555 and Stihl 560 was the same.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawdusty1

A pole saw is much easier for the work you describe.  No bending over.  Cuts small saplings way faster.  I use it for limbing a downed tree.  weighs the same or less.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

John Mc

Quote from: sawdusty1 on February 13, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
A pole saw is much easier for the work you describe.  No bending over.  Cuts small saplings way faster.  I use it for limbing a downed tree.  weighs the same or less.

Sawdusty1 -  I think you may be misunderstanding what people are discussing here. The conversation is not about using a chainsaw to cut brush & saplings, it is about using a brushcutter/clearing saw. These are basically a weed-whacker on steroids, with what looks like a circular saw blade on the end in place of the string trimmer on a weed whacker. It's a whole lot easier and quicker than using a pole saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

A pole saw might be an extra nice to have though if removing vines off trees. But maybe just severing them off is good enough. I don't know, we don't have much for native vines here except grape, cucumber and climatus, in which we are never in when thinning. Grape doesn't amount to much of a threat up this way. Cucumber and climatus, well winter takes care of them. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ranchguy

Depending on terrain, where you need to get to (if you can get to the base of trees for the vines), I like using a DR string trimmer with a Beaver Blade (disk with a replaceable chainsaw chain).  Lawnmower engine, on wheels, so you don't have a thing to lug around.  Not as handy to whip around different levels of course.  I've got about 900 acres, and have cut well over 1000 small cedars off with one (and I'm not keeping up with getting them done).  If you cut with the front of the trimmer instead of the side, it cuts ground level, at least mine does, they changed the frame material since I got mine so I don't know if the angle changed.  Of course it's extremely easy to get it in the dirt and dull quickly.  The last time I worked a while a day for a week, got onto it pretty good and could go a while without sharpening.  Fairly handy on small enough trees, of course doesn't work as well on "matted down" ones where cows etc. knocked them down, branches bushy at ground level.  About 15 years ago I spent a couple months (as time allowed) and cleared a fair chunk of pasture with an axe, chainsaw, lopper, this thing would have let me get much more done.  I also hired a skid shear for a while, probably will end up buying one for my loader, it would pay for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB_W4_venE

UpNorthMI

Thanks for all the prior comments here they helped me make a selection of a brush cutting saw. I recently purchased a Stihl FS 460 after reading many reviews. They are costly but I'm starting to manage 320 acres with about 5 miles of trails that are being overgrown at the edges with small saplings and trees in the 2" -3" diameter range. Just cannot get into some of these areas with the tractor and brush hog, chainsaw use is a back killer, this brush cutting saw is an awesome tool and will get a lot of future use. As someone commented the Stihl harness is poor, mine came with a 1" diagonal body strap! I purchased the Husqvarna 523048201 Balance XT Trimmer Harness on Amazon and love this set up, it makes using the Stihl FS 460 really comfortable allowing me to work safer and longer. The Stihl 460 and 560 blades have a 20mm arbor hole. I purchased a 20mm to 1" converter about 2.5mm thick to allow me to use aftermarket 8" brush cutter blades that typically have a 1" arbor hole. There blades are a fraction of the original Stihl blades and perform really well.
WoodMaxx MX-9900 Chipper
Stihl FS 460 Brush Cutter
All Wood Log Splitter - Oak Model
Stihl MS 461 25" Chain Saw
Stihl MS 211 16" Chain Saw
320 Acres of Trees in Michigan

Al_Smith

I don't have a brush saw but I do have a bush hog and an old "clipper" brush mower than does a fair job .Best to wear body armor with  the brush mower .

Kbeitz

This summer I bought a 10" blade off E-bay. Boy do I love it.
It sure saves time.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

LeeB

what are you running this blade on K?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Never will understand why it is a gauntlet to get brush saw blades like the Maxi down there. Western Europe and Canada have used them for decades. 8.9" is pretty much the max on a pro brush saw, I don't think there is clearance with the guard for a 10" blade.

Right now we are cutting trees that are 40 feet tall, aspen maple. Not real big on the but, but a lot of chopping up to get to the ground. Not real fun and less productive than stands that fit criteria. For some reason criteria is being passed over on height. There is a reason for the criteria. ;)

Woodcutter_Mo

I have a little fs90r that I run blades on, I cut a lot of 2" sapplings with it. I do plan to get a fs130 for a little more power and still a fair price. My cousin as a fs240, it's a beast for its size but a ways out of my budget. I like my fs90r for being able to cut over head branches with the blade and it's fairly light and very easy on fuel. I do believe the 240 has a better power/weight ratio.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

pwrwagontom

Older thread but...I spec-ed out two Stihl FS360 brush saws last year.  After some really hard use, they are holding and fine, and I am very pleased with their power/weight.

Never give an inch

SwampDonkey

That kind of blade would take getting used to on a brush saw. On the maxi-blade, you would ease into a cut like a chainsaw if it was over 3" diameter. Smaller than that, your just swinging the saw like cutting grass with a professional sized brush saw: Stihl560, Husq555.  ;D Those chainsaw tooth blades aren't sold here. In lower density thinning you can easily cut an acre a day. That is thinning, not clear cutting, everything that is cut has to be on the ground not hung up.

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 20, 2017, 11:34:43 PM
Never will understand why it is a gauntlet to get brush saw blades like the Maxi down there. Western Europe and Canada have used them for decades.

You can find them, you just have to look for them a bit harder (and beware of those advertising a "Maxi" but actually selling the same style as the Husqvarna "Scarlet" blade I posted an image of earlier).

I ordered this 8" (200mm) Husqvarna Maxi blade a couple of years ago from Amazon. I'm betting this is a re-badged Oregon blade.

The Oregon catalog lists the 8" (200mm) version as their part # 41-935. Their 9" is listed as 41-936 or 41-937, depending on the arbor size. Description says Swedish steel. Both sizes are recommended for 40cc or larger clearing saws, but I use them on my Jonsered GR 2036, which is only 36cc with no problem

Amick's in North Carolina sells both the 8" (200mm) Maxi Blades and the 9" (225 mm) Maxi Blade. They advertise as "Windsor" brand, but there is a note saying "It will be labeled Carlton, Oregon or Windsor, all are from the same manufacturer." THese have the 25mm/1" arbor hole. Both are described as Swedish steel.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Quote from: John Mc on July 29, 2017, 02:14:52 PM

Amick's in North Carolina sells both the 8" (200mm) Maxi Blades and the 9" (225 mm) Maxi Blade. They advertise as "Windsor" brand, but there is a note saying "It will be labeled Carlton, Oregon or Windsor, all are from the same manufacturer." THese have the 25mm/1" arbor hole. Both are described as Swedish steel.

Yes, they are all the exact same blade from same place.

Stihl "Maxi" is Japanese steel.

Some people will file them down to hardly any tooth left. I never go that far with them, they won't cut as good past a certain point, especially in 4"-6" hardwood or spruce. Way more productive to reach for another blade. I'd rather spent $25 to make an extra $300, then to loose $300 production to save $25. :D

John Mc

I couldn't find the Stihl Maxi on the Stihl USA web site.

SwampDonkey

And Stihl Canada doesn't either. And you really have to dig on their site to find the chisel and scratcher tooth blades.

Windsor Maxi  Not available though. They sell them here at Husqvarna shops.

AnvilRW

We have a Stihl 560 and using their chisel toothed blades it will wack through a 3" to 4" gambel oak in one slice if they're green.   You kinda' have to work on your technique, but you just swing at them from left to right and it will pop right through in one stroke.  If find it too cumbersome and slow to actually put the blade up to one and try to saw through it conventionally.  We use it for the trail clearing, but like a chainsaw, you hit one rock or too much dirt and you'll spend a lot of time sharpening the blades.  It's an invaluable tool for spot clearing but I've found that an ATV with tow behind trail cutter is much better and faster if you can manage the terrain.  If I can drive the ATV over it, the trail cutter will cut it.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

Thank You Sponsors!