iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil Recommendation

Started by Caseybow123, May 03, 2017, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseybow123

Hey everyone. Can someone tell me transmission and hydraulic oil recommended for a 75 Cat 518 skidder.
Thanks

coxy

call cat and give them the vin number my 81 takes tdto transmission and drive train oil 30w in summer and I think it was 10 or 20w in the winter but I run 30w year round just let it idle a few min longer in the winter to warm it up  at 150buck a 5gal bucket I'm not changing it 2x a year and it takes 10 gal when dry the newer 518 cats take 15/40 motor oil in every thing tranny, hydro and motor the older ones take gear oil in the rears and planatarys  just give cat a call they will tell you what to put in there    if you check the tranny oil make shur its good and hot like at the end of the day and let it idle for about 5-10 min to get a good reading you have to check it running

mills

I gave up trying to find a substitute that would match CAT's transmission specs. Thought I had what I needed, but found out it wasn't exactly right. Bought ten gallons from them and changed it all out. And like Coxy said, it ain't cheap. The fun part was trying to catch eight gallons of oil in two five gallon buckets.  :D

coxy

my uncle use to say it came out of the ground let it go back in the ground  :o

Ox

I've also noticed that with all the hype about oil pollution, even after a blown hose or something out in the field on a farm tractor, the grass is growing again the very next year.  There are natural microbes that love oil products.  Eats it up and all is well again.  I'm not saying to spread oil all over, just that if it happens not to worry too much about it.  This earth of ours is self healing.  It would only take 200 years without man to get rid of most things to show we were ever here.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!