iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter chain oil

Started by rank, January 28, 2018, 04:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rank

The winter bar oil that my local chainsaw stores are selling isn't getting it done this winter.  It's thicker than corn syrup.  I've tried ATF and that was a little better but I still want thinner.  What do the northern guys do?

Andries

Stihl bar oil, light weight.
MS660 and a 36" bar.
-42° C tonight.
Not a problem.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Gearbox

I run a multi grade year around . About 5 gal a year . Let you saw idle a bit then go at it .  It will thin as the saw warms up . In the summer I may add some heavy wt. if I think it is getting too thin .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

I got it made now. I only cut on my land. I leave a jug in the OWB,most times I am back to the house and can refill than.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rank

Andries

If it's windy tomorrow - I might take the day off. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

realzed

Is it a good idea to try and cut any Winter bar oil for use in really cold temperatures (it's supposed to be in the mid -30's here by the end of this week) with a lighter oil to drop the viscosity somewhat and get it to flow better while still retaining some of the tackability of the original oil for protection.. and if so what would be the best type of oil to use to use in anyone's estimation to do that?
Thanks - Randy

JohnW

I agree with Gearbox, if you can get the oil in the tank the saw will warm it up.  I've never had any reason to cut wood when it's zero or less.

Al_Smith

42 below ,oh my .Pity the poor brass monkey

Al_Smith

Brass monkey aside in agony, in all seriousness I've used automatic transmission fluid .That was years ago for a small amount of cutting at around 15 below .It seldom gets that cold any more plus I really don't need to do it any more .

moodnacreek

thutch85

Stihl winter oil, comes in a blue jug. I've seen guys add a bit of diesel to thin it more. But as mentioned already, spinning the chain slow to build up some oil works too.

rank

I guess the problem was my Stihl dealer doesn't carry it what I need. They have heavy and medium in orange jugs.  I'll have to speak to them.  Thanks to all replies

Stoneyacrefarm

I've been using the all purpose bar oil that they sell at tractor supply for years now.  It goes on sale for $6.00 a gallon periodically.
Works well on my husky saws.
Haven't had any problems with it.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mike_belben

Us poor rednecks use motor oil for everything.  Fence is dull?  Motor oil.  Trailer deck fading? Motor oil.  Got moles around your footing? Motor oil.  Stumps wont burn? Motor oil.  Theres a little tank on the saw thats not for gas?

Well by gawd i reckon it must be for Motor oil.
Praise The Lord

teakwood

I changed the hyd oil on my 30to excavator, one barrel!

I won't buy chain oil for the next 3-4 years  :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!